Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Servers based on language?

Was reading the wiki and came across this piece of information

There may be separate servers in the EU region based on language type. There's localization that will be present in the German and French, Russian languages to start; and then we intend to also localize in Italian, Polish and Spanish. So servers will be allocated within the region as being one of those language type servers. So it's not going to be per country per se as it might be per language.

As someone from a non english speaking country, I am not sure I like this. Personally I enjoy playing with all kinds of different people and in my opinion making friends with people from all over the world(in this case europe) is part of the MMO experience. I think all guilds I have played with in other MMOs have been multi-national.

AoC is a pretty unique game so maybe there are good reasons for this that went over my head.
Also if you want a language localized server please let me know why :smile:

Comments

• Options
    JxshuwuJxshuwu Member
    edited April 2021
    Tulima wrote: »
    Was reading the wiki and came across this piece of information

There may be separate servers in the EU region based on language type. There's localization that will be present in the German and French, Russian languages to start; and then we intend to also localize in Italian, Polish and Spanish. So servers will be allocated within the region as being one of those language type servers. So it's not going to be per country per se as it might be per language.

As someone from a non english speaking country, I am not sure I like this. Personally I enjoy playing with all kinds of different people and in my opinion making friends with people from all over the world(in this case europe) is part of the MMO experience. I think all guilds I have played with in other MMOs have been multi-national.

AoC is a pretty unique game so maybe there are good reasons for this that went over my head.
    Also if you want a language localized server please let me know why :smile:

You can just join NA or UK server? Im pretty sure. It makes sense that they do this, language barriers should be minimalized as much as possible in a game that's all about socialization. If this isn't here, i expect to see an overbundance of russian speaking people and guilds i cant communicate with. Nothing wrong with russians or russian guilds btw, its just that they often dont speak (fluent) english, and in a game like this it'll make politics more difficult than it has to be. Language barriers split people from eachother, people who speak one language will always find other people to play with who speak the same language, and only care for that little circle of people, which makes the social scope of the game smaller by default. It makes sense that they do this btw since they can't always speak english very well, but it still affects the whole server.

Im pretty sure i butchered this explanation, i couldn't find the right words but i hope you understand lol.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In addition to what @Jxshuwu said about the importance of communication which is paramount. There is also latency problems that you would want to minimize. Here in America it is not uncommon for a MMO to not make a effort to make the NA region less accessible to regions that would introduce a high amount of latency.

This can lead to desynchronization in combat which makes it more difficult to read movements or land attacks on players from regions that are further away. Giving this sort of advantage to players that are playing from a unintended region for the server has been an issue for years in many MMOs.

I was very refreshing to me to hear that AOC was going to use regional pricing to help encourage people to play in their own regions because of all of the desync issues it creates.

There is a magic about meeting people from other parts of the world in MMOs, but I feel that trading it for consistent communication and better latency in combat is worth it to me personally.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Personally I would join NA or EU server even if it makes me remember the great art of Slide Casting due to latency bc my own region isn't known as the most mature and/or welcoming gaming community. So I'm all for there being suggested servers if you can join any of them.
  • Options
    Riessene wrote: »
    Personally I would join NA or EU server even if it makes me remember the great art of Slide Casting due to latency bc my own region isn't known as the most mature and/or welcoming gaming community. So I'm all for there being suggested servers if you can join any of them.

Im EU and i will 100% play on NA as my friends are basically all there x)
  • Options
    I love the aspect of having a Russian guild compete with my guild or even better work with my guild. We would try and translate and having a Russian-speaking member would help. In real-life conflict, this happens a lot, so it would be cool to have in the game!

But ultimately ping is a problem and I completely agree with @Vhaeyne ! So sorry Russians, I won't allow you to be in my alliance if you all have 200 ping on my NA server. But French Canadians/French Guinea/Haitians and all the Spanish speakers will be on my mind!
  • Options
    Archmonk wrote: »
    I love the aspect of having a Russian guild compete with my guild or even better work with my guild. We would try and translate and having a Russian-speaking member would help. In real-life conflict, this happens a lot, so it would be cool to have in the game!

But ultimately ping is a problem and I completely agree with @Vhaeyne ! So sorry Russians, I won't allow you to be in my alliance if you all have 200 ping on my NA server. But French Canadians/French Guinea/Haitians and all the Spanish speakers will be on my mind!

That idea sounds cool, but i dont think it will all work out that neatly in practice.