Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ashes a game so you don't get bored?

Could Ashes of Creations be the game where you can play all day without getting bored? It would be great if there were a lot of activities besides lvl, farming, crafting, etc. When you are tired of killing mobs or collecting materials you could go to explore and do something else for example puzzles, secrets, mysteries, achievements, mount races, food contests, etc. etc .. be creative please there are many activities that gw2 has for An example that they can have as a reference so that people can live Ashes of Creations as if it were their life .. achievement system, collect trophies, mini-pets .. recreational activities, festivals! .. Your imagination is the limit :)

Leave your ideas to see if something good comes out on this topic

Comments

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I only get bored when games are not challenging and content (raids/battleground) is optional.
  • I at least get bored in the games doing the same activity for a long time, I already use many hours of lvl, farming, or pvp ... that's why when I want to get rid of those activities because I get tired / stressed I would like to do something else but without leaving of the game! the idea is to immerse yourself in the game world and always have something interesting to do :)
  • Krim LKrim L Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Everyone will have their own definition for what sustains them long-term in a game.

For me, there was an MMO I grew up playing called Tibia (I always call it Runescapes weird cousin lol, because everyone knows Runescape and no one ever knows what Tibia is, despite my opinion that Tibia was a far better game in its golden era).

At any rate, in Tibia, there were no level caps, no skill caps, you could always continue to progress with your character. That is something that most games don't have. Endgame is always the point where I get bored, because your characters growth is finished (until content update), and you always spend the majority of your time running the same dungeon/raid for gear. I don't like that style of repetition.

Just my two satoshi's.
  • ArchmonkArchmonk Member
    edited April 2021
    I only get bored when games are not challenging and content (raids/battleground) is optional.

This is my problem with a lot of this kind of content in other games, they plainly are filler and have no legitimate risk-reward! Like in GW2 you "achieve" for participation.

If anyone plays ESO they make a lot of side content like the recent Jester’s Day/Fool event... It was underwhelming and is participation content. BUT it is a cool idea, and I enjoyed it for the shake-up of the environment in the game, so side-content CAN be good even if it is participation-based. It just won't get me too excited, nor will I feel actively compelled to "participate" because there is no risk-reward in consideration.

If there are for example horse races, then it should be competitive. It should introduce a platforming style of racing map and have some risk like buying in your spot or your mount being disabled from injury, also maybe have a gambling system so people could bet on a player against other players. Yotta-yotta this is just a contrived example and I don't think this should be implemented over pretty much any other game features, but if they did start making content that isn't per-se critical to the main gameplay, I don't want it to be baseless and boring AKA participation content. And if there is a Jester's Day style event then it should provide very little in-game rewards.

I'd rather have a challenge when I log in whether PvP or PvE. The risk-reward balance they continue to talk about is super important to perpetuate a game's value in the endgame. I can keep playing a round of Hades because it is difficult and I can increase my risk for more reward. Obviously, Ashes is a completely different game than Hades, but the same principle applies. If subsystems for mini-games incorporate a risk-reward then they will have incentives to be played and they will keep my interest.
  • For me, MMO games get boring when I have no one to talk to. I stopped playing wow because there wasn't anyone who wanted to play with strangers or as I see it, there was no need to play with others. As long as it is necessary to form groups and guilds in order to get through content, I will not get bored.
  • Yours truly has played an MMO continuously for 36+ hours straight only twice: during a beta test, and when a guild-leader in SWG. We were a big enough server-giant guild to have had members online that I once played with - quite literally - around the clock for that whole 36 hours.

Upon finding out that there are multiple people on-board with Intrepid who had worked on SWG was a great comfort towards the feeling that this game will be done right. There was literally so much to do that in the 5 1/2 years that yours truly got to play SWG I maybe experienced 40% of it. It's only thanks to the SWG: Legends emulator that I was ever able to poke extensively at things like combat pets, bio-engineering, droid engineering, and a lot of the side-games and crafting content that I'd never done in live-production.

The wiki is a great source of material to just look through and wonder at. The content-to-be genuinely is quite ambitious in scale. Even if we're not launched by 2023, yours truly will still eagerly be awaiting the day this game opens.

• The only MMO i didnt get bored by for a long time was Albion Online, but even that game is getting more boring by the day.

I just hope that the game will be challenging to both new and experienced players and keeps adding and updating new challenges as time goes on and has a nice variety of things to do! After a busy day doing dungeons and killing mobs and questing, i'd like to hang around with some people at the local tavern and play some dice rolls or maybe do some gathering and crafting or work on my POH. I hope that they make crafting intriguing enough so that you don't get bored too quickly, one big issue i have with crafing in MMOs.
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's definitely shaping up to be a great game for years to come. One of my favorite things about AoC is that I have the ability to grow a community/guild around the ideas that AoC is delivering. To me, this is even more content for players to enjoy. Organized events, friendships, competition, and so much more.
  • Krim L wrote: »
    At any rate, in Tibia, there were no level caps, no skill caps, you could always continue to progress with your character. That is something that most games don't have. Endgame is always the point where I get bored, because your characters growth is finished (until content update), and you always spend the majority of your time running the same dungeon/raid for gear. I don't like that style of repetition.

This is actually something i hope for in ashes. I want them them to disregard levels in a fashion that means there is no real "endgame". If you make the leveling process take many months, like tens of thousands of hours of in-game time, then the focus isn't on the destination, but on the journey. I don't think I'm gonna win on this one tho.

In regards to the game never getting boring, I think there will always be something to do that doesnt feel like a list of chores. When in doubt, just hop on your mount and go explore. The world is vast, and there's a good chance you'll only see a sliver of it.
  • ArchmonkArchmonk Member
    edited April 2021
    This is actually something i hope for in ashes. I want them them to disregard levels in a fashion that means there is no real "endgame". If you make the leveling process take many months, like tens of thousands of hours of in-game time, then the focus isn't on the destination, but on the journey. I don't think I'm gonna win on this one tho.
    @McShave

Haha you are definitely against my opinion. (I def see some benefit to what you are saying and it definitely works in other games, but not one like AoC IMO!)

The leveling process should be a challenge so reaching a max level in itself is an achievement, and the main purpose should be to introduce you to the main aspects of a game to prepare you for the difficult content and systems at max level gameplay, that will be much more interesting and expansive than leveling.

This is what the Devs have stated will pretty much be the case. This kinda depends on opinion. They explicitly said it would take 40 days of 4-6 hours of gameplay to reach level 50. IMO this is good, a full 4*40 = 160 hours = 6 days~ minimum of play time is reasonable. This will keep me quite excited when I reach level 50 and my time investment will make me invested in my character.

For counter example, I hate ESO's leveling. You continue to become more powerful as you gain 3600 levels (~2000hrs of hardcore grinding and EXP scrolls)... Such a boring and lazy way to keep players grinding IMO and this system supports vapid content **ahem** as in ESO, because playing vapid content will make you stronger (I know others disagree, just not for me at all). Also it is frustrating for any new player who knows to have the comparable base level stats in the game they have to spend an enormous amount of time grinding, I won't join that game if it's already been out for a while.

I don't mind grinding being a part of a game! I'd grind for gear, money, crafting, aesthetics, abilities, buildings, guild, and nodes opposed to explicitly base stats from levels. These motivators will keep players more interested in the game in the long run as well because they are more tangible than another level.