Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Open World Raid 40+ Question/Suggestion

I've heard from the YouTube videos that there will be open world raids and the more people participating in the raid, the harder it gets. I think it would be a good idea to have the loot scale up just a bit for the higher difficulty to complete the raid. I'm not sure if Ashes of Creation or another forum member already said that would implement something like that or not so I'm asking here. The idea I'm going for is like a high risk, higher return; there is a chance for you and your team to obtain better loot but there is also a greater chance you might squad wipe and lose exp or possible items.

For example: A level 40 world boss and a 40 man raid team goes and clears it, the loot would be normal for that raid; however, if a 100 man raid/guild team comes and tries to kill it, the boss would get harder and the loot would be better than normal. There is also a chance for the team to fail and everyone dies.

One way I can see this backfiring though is when everyone is higher level and you have many high level people(like level 50) clearing a low level raid boss(level 10) and basically turning the mechanic into a loot box waiting for the largest team to come over and open it. One possible solution to this could be if you are too high level, you cannot kill the boss(I'm not much of a fan of this solution since I like to attack everything and not be restricted but I cannot think of anything else better currently).

Comments

• FerniFerni Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The difficulty and rewards from dungeons and raids adapt based on the group performance on previous bosses in that encounter.
    If you have a high performance you will fight against harder bosses but also you will get better loot from them.
    Group size don't auto-scale the bosses or the mobs.

The Wiki saids that raids are for 40-players groups so not sure if you can do this content with a larger group of players.
  • Wang wrote: »
    I've heard from the YouTube videos that there will be open world raids and the more people participating in the raid, the harder it gets. I think it would be a good idea to have the loot scale up just a bit for the higher difficulty to complete the raid. I'm not sure if Ashes of Creation or another forum member already said that would implement something like that or not so I'm asking here. The idea I'm going for is like a high risk, higher return; there is a chance for you and your team to obtain better loot but there is also a greater chance you might squad wipe and lose exp or possible items.

For example: A level 40 world boss and a 40 man raid team goes and clears it, the loot would be normal for that raid; however, if a 100 man raid/guild team comes and tries to kill it, the boss would get harder and the loot would be better than normal. There is also a chance for the team to fail and everyone dies.

One way I can see this backfiring though is when everyone is higher level and you have many high level people(like level 50) clearing a low level raid boss(level 10) and basically turning the mechanic into a loot box waiting for the largest team to come over and open it. One possible solution to this could be if you are too high level, you cannot kill the boss(I'm not much of a fan of this solution since I like to attack everything and not be restricted but I cannot think of anything else better currently).

My understanding is that the system you described is meant to dicourage people from attacking the world boss in much higher number of people than intended and make zerging less viable strategy. So your suggestion kind of contradicts the purpose of the idea.

• WangWang Member
    Ferni wrote: »
    The difficulty and rewards from dungeons and raids adapt based on the group performance on previous bosses in that encounter.
    If you have a high performance you will fight against harder bosses but also you will get better loot from them.
    Group size don't auto-scale the bosses or the mobs.

The Wiki saids that raids are for 40-players groups so not sure if you can do this content with a larger group of players.

I was talking about the open world bosses/raids not the dungeon ones where it depends on the clear time. I'm pretty sure that I heard it was going to be harder if you have more people attacking it at once so I was wondering if they would increase the loot as well
  • WangWang Member
    Daerax wrote: »
    Wang wrote: »

My understanding is that the system you described is meant to dicourage people from attacking the world boss in much higher number of people than intended and make zerging less viable strategy. So your suggestion kind of contradicts the purpose of the idea.

I wasn't trying to discourage but instead encourage more people to group up and fight because then the loot would be better and more abundant. Also I'm sure the game developers said in one of their monthly livestreams that the bosses would become harder the more people that participate in it, so if it already would get harder then the loot should also be better?
  • DaeraxDaerax Member
    edited April 2021

I wasn't trying to discourage but instead encourage more people to group up and fight because then the loot would be better and more abundant. Also I'm sure the game developers said in one of their monthly livestreams that the bosses would become harder the more people that participate in it, so if it already would get harder then the loot should also be better?

Sure, I understand what you meant. And it's true that thay said that. But it's a bit out of context. They said the boss would behave differently, use more abilities etc. But it was to prevent large groups of players gathering and one shotting it. The question was about how to prevent zerging of world bosses in a first place. The intention wasn't really to make the boss harder for large groups, it was that the boss wouldn't be easier to kill for larger than intended group. The whole purpose of that system as they described it was to prevent/at least discourage 100 players gathering at boss intended for 40 players and one-shoting it. They absolutely see it as a problem. They don't want to scale HP and other stats of NPCs in a game to number of players fighting it so this is the solution they came up with. I don't know, it could be good, even though I personally don't like the Idea. What I was trying to say is that your suggestion goes directly against the intention of the mentioned system.

EDIT: And same goes for loot. Pretty sure they will be happy with the fact, that even if large group kills the boss, it won't be as worthwhile if the boss drops loot intended for 40 players. No way in my mind they will support it with boosting loot for large parties.
    EDIT 2: With the "system you described", I meant the scaling difficulty of bosses mentioned in live stream, not your suggestions of increased rewards. My bad, no way you could get it given the way I have written that.
    Edit 3 (last?): Balancing that would also be a nightmare. If you intend the boss for 40 players, you balance it accordingly (not an easy task in itself) and then "just" set some changes when more players come that don't need to be that exact, because all you want is for them to not do that. But if you wanted better rewards based on how much players showed up, you would need to be much more on point.
  • WangWang Member
    edited April 2021

Sure, I understand what you meant. And it's true that thay said that. But it's a bit out of context. They said the boss would behave differently, use more abilities etc. But it was to prevent large groups of players gathering and one shotting it. The question was about how to prevent zerging of world bosses in a first place. The intention wasn't really to make the boss harder for large groups, it was that the boss wouldn't be easier to kill for larger than intended group. The whole purpose of that system as they described it was to prevent/at least discourage 100 players gathering at boss intended for 40 players and one-shoting it. They absolutely see it as a problem. They don't want to scale HP and other stats of NPCs in a game to number of players fighting it so this is the solution they came up with. I don't know, it could be good, even though I personally don't like the Idea. What I was trying to say is that your suggestion goes directly against the intention of the mentioned system.

EDIT: And same goes for loot. Pretty sure they will be happy with the fact, that even if large group kills the boss, it won't be as worthwhile if the boss drops loot intended for 40 players. No way in my mind they will support it with boosting loot for large parties.
    EDIT 2: With the "system you described", I meant the scaling difficulty of bosses mentioned in live stream, not your suggestions of increased rewards. My bad, no way you could get it given the way I have written that.
    Edit 3 (last?): Balancing that would also be a nightmare. If you intend the boss for 40 players, you balance it accordingly (not an easy task in itself) and then "just" set some changes when more players come that don't need to be that exact, because all you want is for them to not do that. But if you wanted better rewards based on how much players showed up, you would need to be much more on point.

Oh, I misunderstood what the game developers wanted. I didn't know that they didn't want more than intended persons fighting one boss, my bad.

Edit: I just thought it would be a cool idea to implement if they were able to.
  • I get the feeling the open world bosses will have a lot of lethal proximity based damage. That would completely shut down the majority of zergs because you’d have to either coordinate cooldowns or not be stacked up, limiting the raid size.
  • WarthWarth Member
    A: its not supposed to increase rewards. The increasing difficulty is supposed to be a deterent, not an option to increase rewards. By bringing 80 people, you scale up the difficulty through certain boss effects while maintaining the rewards structure for 40 people.

• ObamanizerObamanizer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Warth wrote: »
    A: its not supposed to increase rewards. The increasing difficulty is supposed to be a deterent, not an option to increase rewards. By bringing 80 people, you scale up the difficulty through certain boss effects while maintaining the rewards structure for 40 people.

i feel like its more about, what if an entire other raid group shows up and tags it as well.. now its 2x the people for the same loot amount. As well as a herd of people not even in a raid group out in the open tagging it as well to try and snipe a piece of gear.

This happens in every single open world raid boss in all games.
    m2r7fkogger4.png
  • BricktopBricktop Member
    edited April 2021
    Obamanizer wrote: »

i feel like its more about, what if an entire other raid group shows up and tags it as well.. now its 2x the people for the same loot amount. As well as a herd of people not even in a raid group out in the open tagging it as well to try and snipe a piece of gear.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Raids#Loot_tagging

If an entire other raid group shows up they would probably stop the attempt and fight it out and/or probably just have a second/third/etc raid there ready to PvP.
  • WarthWarth Member
    Obamanizer wrote: »

only one raid receives the reward anyway.
    Maybe you wanna look up the loot distribution rules for froup and raid encounters on the wiki.

There is no shared loot between different raids. Either Raid A or Raid B receives the full amount the boss drops