From the Undergrowth

Voyager_Plus_bg_1080x1920_web.jpg

A bright and fantastical place populated by winding stems and luminescent spores, the mushroom forests are as lethal as they are beautiful. Sentient fungi plod around the landscape, often indistinguishable from their inanimate compatriots until after it is too late. Despite the danger, some thrive in this blighted place, nearly becoming one with the land itself.

The From the Undergrowth cosmetic add-ons will be available in the Ashes of Creation shop from April 7, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific until May 5, 2021 at 11:00 a.m. Pacific. Don’t forget that the Root of Conquest addons will be removed on April 7, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. Pacific when the new cosmetics swap over.

For more information, check out our news post: https://ashesofcreation.com/news/2021-04-06-from-the-undergrowth
p99zmvjuvb3u.gif

Comments

• getting Alice in wonderland vibes. especially from the top hat. Nice!
  • MinionXX1MinionXX1 Member
    edited April 6
    I have been waiting and waiting for the perfect set to buy into this game, and I believe this will be the month I do so.

• pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    That toad looks horny...
  • ArcheonArcheon Member
    edited April 7
    In all honesty I hope there’s a disable store bought content button in-game, and that this is the default setting or day1 will look kind of ridiculous 😅 with the amount of “updates” for appearance enhancements available in the shop from years past to now till launch, the challenge will be spotting someone trying to play the game normally vs the thousands of players wearing appearance augmented gear which looks more powerful then legendaries from level 1🙃

I must admit the art team did an amazing job and it looks incredible, however it will be extremely immersion breaking to see every person and their dog able to run around in spectacular gear. The old saying is true, when everything's amazing nothing is amazing; and at the rate of output noone will look normal and everyone will look special.

Im really hoping the sub will mean that ashes will stay true to its original intent, and not follow the trail of other unmentioned mmorpg's in the genre, theres still time to stay true to the dream :smile: ashes is the most promising game by far, and I cant wait for launch.
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds
    Archeon wrote: »
    In all honesty I hope there’s a disable store bought content button in-game, and that this is the default setting or day1 will look kind of ridiculous 😅 with the amount of “updates” for appearance enhancements available in the shop from years past to now till launch, the challenge will be spotting someone trying to play the game normally vs the thousands of players wearing appearance augmented gear which looks more powerful then legendaries from level 1🙃

I must admit the art team did an amazing job and it looks incredible, however it will be extremely immersion breaking to see every person and their dog able to run around in spectacular gear. The old saying is true, when everything's amazing nothing is amazing; and at the rate of output noone will look normal and everyone will look special.

Im really hoping the sub will mean that ashes will stay true to its original intent, and not follow the trail of other unmentioned mmorpg's in the genre, theres still time to stay true to the dream :smile: ashes is the most promising game by far, and I cant wait for launch.

It's amazing what some people consider "immersion breaking". When I see everyone in the same outfits running around THAT to me is immersion breaking. I love that there will be diversity from the get go.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Is the pet YUGE? or is it just large so we can see it clearly? Looks 10ft tall
  • RhuellRhuell Member
    getting Alice in wonderland vibes. especially from the top hat. Nice!

Absolutely!

I'm also getting some Morrowind vibes.

Side note: I would terrified to be on that carriage. At a moments notice you could be flying through the air.
  • How does the Carriage run smoothly if he's hopping xD? No fragile goods
  • ezenkrul87ezenkrul87 Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People
    How does the Carriage run smoothly if he's hopping xD? No fragile goods

Yeah ops, sorry about all those bottles of WINE.

@Archeon That has been a tickle in my brain too as the months have gone by but I think it just gives people the choice to look how they want when they play and also helps all the clones out there. I am sure there will be ways to stand out such as some epic looking gear in game or crazy skills/spells.
    Ezenkrul - Phoenix Initiative
    instagram.com/joetc87
  • ArcheonArcheon Member
    edited April 8
    @ezenkrul87
    ezenkrul87 wrote: »
    @Archeon That has been a tickle in my brain too as the months have gone by but I think it just gives people the choice to look how they want when they play and also helps all the clones out there. I am sure there will be ways to stand out such as some epic looking gear in game or crazy skills/spells.

mmm however even at this point the game will have to compete with itself for flashyness; and we havent even hit launch yet... usually you reserve the most insane animations and models for the best gear or spells in the game.

The immersive MMORPG which is meant to establish this high-fantasy medieval universe which we play in for years will have completely evaporated in a daze of crazy skills spells and epic gear... all of which takes place before the launch even happens...

one of the core tennants of the game was
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Gear_appearance
    "We're going for kind of a more realistic look; not necessarily realistic setting, but we want our characters to have weight and kind of feel like they're there.[4] – Jeffrey Bard"

before launch we have already seen angels and demons race re-skin's, and now these awesome fungal archers which look like they should either be a tier set or an end game boss... what happened to the realistic look?

I really question anyone who thinks it will feel immersive to be in the natural Dünir Dwarven starting zone, as all the dwarves are charging around fighting bandits.... Next to an angel or demon...

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Racial_skins

Idk all I can hope is that these Cosmetic Store Skins, stop trying to out do each other with flashyness insane-ness and that we return to the somewhat realism aspect which was promised, and that there is a toggle-able button in-game with the default setting being that all of this is disabled unless you opt into seeing it.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    I want to dislike this as it not my style but for some reason I can't, there is something drawing me to get it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • My problem is the thing I want most is the character cosmetics and they make it the most expensive package!
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men
    MinionXX1 wrote: »
    My problem is the thing I want most is the character cosmetics and they make it the most expensive package!

seems they know what they are doing then :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Nagash wrote: »
    MinionXX1 wrote: »
    My problem is the thing I want most is the character cosmetics and they make it the most expensive package!

seems they know what they are doing then :D

Fair point aha :s
  • MelethMeleth Member
    @Archeon I hear you. I have to admit, I echo a lot of your concerns re: the immersion. The cosmetics have been absolutely beautiful and fun to watch, but with how many packs have come out, you do have to wonder what the game experience is actually going to end up looking like.

I don't know if I necessarily agree with the ability to turn them off, but I don't have any other solutions either. Maybe starting to recycle the released cosmetics instead of just making more and more? Part of my worry is them running out of gas in the artistic tank, so to speak, whereby things earned in-game just won't even be comparable.

Guess we'll have to wait and see!