Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

"Legendary" specific items

What do you guys think about super specific alltime best situational weapons or any part of gear? Like some demonslaying weapon that is just always the best weapon against demons etc
“Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited April 2021
    I was never fond of legendary gear.
    They force entire guilds to work hard so that 1 person can get a minor edge in 1v1 or very small scale pvp.

In L2 we had the World Boss jewelry set. Entire alliances would go to wars over a CHANCE to loot ONE earring or necklace or ring.
    Then the developers did something very bad imo. "Combine two rings into 1 and you get a bit extra stats. Then combine a third for a bit more stats".
    So in order for 1 person to have a Legendary Triple- Ring whole alliances would focus on that, instead of spending resources to properly gear up newer members.

I am not going to go as far as saying "I dont want them", but they never dazzled me.
    I am more impressed in seing the first players in a server to get equiped with the highest gear available.

Back to topic, it would be nice if some super rare legendary weapons offered an active ability, instead of bonus dmg vs demons or 50% crit rate increase or other boring stats.
  • Options
    SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think they should exist, but they should be earned and owned by the guild, not the individual player. The guild officers can then assign out the items to players for a specified time period (perhaps once per week).
  • Options
    I would like to see specialized weapons as quest rewards.
    Quests barely ever are meaningful in modern mmos.
    Give it hard requirements so it will feel like a real achievent when you get urs and ull respect people u see using one
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • Options
    Saedu wrote: »
    I think they should exist, but they should be earned and owned by the guild, not the individual player. The guild officers can then assign out the items to players for a specified time period (perhaps once per week).

I like this idea. Having it be something that can be passed around makes it feel more like a community benefit than an idividual benefit.
  • Options
    i think they should possibly exist but be profession bases and only made by the highest of masters in their professions , weapons from weapon smiths Armor from black smith leather armours from leatherworkers rings necklaces from jewel crafters ect ect . you get my drift
  • Options
    I love the idea of contextual equipment. It makes a lot of sense in a fantasy game where elemental/magical damage exists and creatures are manifestations or attuned with those energies. It adds preparation and diversity to equipment that very few games do.
    As another mentioned, I like the idea of legendaries and such the actually DO something (specific effect/ability/alteration) and aren't flat stats.
  • Options
    TrinksTrinks Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I played a lot of EQ back in the day, I loved the class specific legendary. They were noticeable and each class had its own quest line. Each also had its own ability designed around that class.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Legendaries in Diablo and PoE add so many flavours to builds.
    It also makes them easy to balance coz you just target the legendary item.
    If they're done this way, I do enjoy them.

I don't think that's the type of Legendary you're talking about though, is it?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    @maouw EQ had a flail that could cast a whole raid resurrect (only when not in combat or flagged) so helped in a raid wipe situation. Druid had a sword that casted a DoT and snare. Each Epic weapon(what some would call legendary now) had a unique look, and very distinguishable. bard had a 1h sword with notes that fell off the blade (the sword also doubled as any instrument), the druid had a sword with leafs that came off blade) and i could keep going on but that gives you an idea. The quests were hard for the most part and took a while...my mage one took me 6 months. Some of the quest line were soloable, some needed a group and, one needed a 40 man raid.
  • Options
    BiccusBiccus Member
    edited April 2021
    The problem with too many "unique" pieces of gear is that it quickly fills your storage. The fact that every character can wear any armour and wield and weapon is already scaring me lol

I think the horizontal enchanting where you can change the weapons damage type is a good enough alternative. Maybe that extends to resistances for armour.
  • Options
    MahesMahes Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the idea of legendary items as long as there is not a "Random" attached to it. I do not mind farming something for a bit but if I have to kill something that has a 1% chance of dropping what I need, it is a bit frustrating.

EQ has been the MMO that really put the legendary in legendary. They were long quests that took guilds to complete. The items were unique in how they looked and easily recognized. It was also a helpful progression for the guild as often times the items saved time in raids.

The problem is simple. The amount of time for the developers to implement a long involved quest for each class is daunting. I could see this being something that is added in an expansion but not for release. They already have so much on the plate.
  • Options
    @Mahes i wholeheartedly agree! Not a day 1 need but lived how EQ did it and glad others do to!
  • Options
    Personally I would be opposed to a legendary that required a guild to help one player attain taking like 6 months. I don't mind helping my guild as a good member, but spending that much time getting generally the GM or Officer his uber sword that really does me no good is waste of my time.

But I am one of those people who play MMO's for the perpetual world and the fact that in 6 months the game isn't finished. There will be patches and expansions and my toons will live on for years and maybe decades. I don't really play for the other players. the second "M" in MMO is not my focus or care.

That's not to say I dislike or hate playing with other players. When playing wow I am very active in my guild and a solid raider who does his part. But when I am online I want to be progressing my toon and if I can do that by helping someone else progress at the same time great. But I absolutely hate feeling like I have to progress someone else's toon at the expense of my progression.

Maybe that makes me a selfish bastard and if so I am old enough to be okay with that and not care. But game time is my time, not someone else's time.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    blackcat75 wrote: »
    Personally I would be opposed to a legendary that required a guild to help one player attain taking like 6 months. I don't mind helping my guild as a good member, but spending that much time getting generally the GM or Officer his uber sword that really does me no good is waste of my time.

But I am one of those people who play MMO's for the perpetual world and the fact that in 6 months the game isn't finished. There will be patches and expansions and my toons will live on for years and maybe decades. I don't really play for the other players. the second "M" in MMO is not my focus or care.

That's not to say I dislike or hate playing with other players. When playing wow I am very active in my guild and a solid raider who does his part. But when I am online I want to be progressing my toon and if I can do that by helping someone else progress at the same time great. But I absolutely hate feeling like I have to progress someone else's toon at the expense of my progression.

Maybe that makes me a selfish bastard and if so I am old enough to be okay with that and not care. But game time is my time, not someone else's time.

Howcome you come to the MMO space for this then?
    Wouldn't a Single Player game much better suit your need?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options

Also, the one piece that took me 6 months was just a normal type instance raid (was one that didn't get much of the guilds time) but wasn't just going there for me and the one piece. It dropped too tier stuff as well
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    When playing wow I am very active in my guild and a solid raider who does his part. But when I am online I want to be progressing my toon and if I can do that by helping someone else progress at the same time great. But I absolutely hate feeling like I have to progress someone else's toon at the expense of my progression.
    Honestly, you wouldn't be welcome in my guild.

You seem like the kind of player that bitches if we run the encounter that you have everything you want from, or that stops showing up for raids when you have all you want from the encounters we are killing.

As far as I am concerned, an upgrade to any one person in the raid is an upgrade to the raid as a whole, and thus is an upgrade to each individual player in the raid.

While your character may not be directly improved if the tank gets a new shield, that new shield may well mean we are now able to take on content we couldn't before he had it. As such, that shield means you are able to kill more than you were before.

People that do not see this are not welcome in my raid or guild.
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    Howcome you come to the MMO space for this then?
    Wouldn't a Single Player game much better suit your need?

Obviously you missed the part

"But I am one of those people who play MMO's for the perpetual world and the fact that in 6 months the game isn't finished. There will be patches and expansions and my toons will live on for years and maybe decades."

I have yet to find a single player game with the kind of life span that my 16 year old wow toons enjoy.
    Trinks wrote: »
    Also, the one piece that took me 6 months was just a normal type instance raid (was one that didn't get much of the guilds time) but wasn't just going there for me and the one piece. It dropped too tier stuff as well

I can respect that and have no problem with it. Where i would develop a problem is for hypothetical example in this case the raid finished needing everything from that raid in say 3 months, and then we spend another 3 months finishing a single players epeen shield at the expense of everyone else's time. And I say epeen (Not saying your case this was epeen, only you would know if that is the case and I will give you the benefit of the doubt :-) ), because if the group is not good enough to do further content without a single player getting a single piece then obviously they have bigger problems than selfish members.
    Noaani wrote: »
    Honestly, you wouldn't be welcome in my guild.

You seem like the kind of player that bitches if we run the encounter that you have everything you want from, or that stops showing up for raids when you have all you want from the encounters we are killing.

As far as I am concerned, an upgrade to any one person in the raid is an upgrade to the raid as a whole, and thus is an upgrade to each individual player in the raid.

While your character may not be directly improved if the tank gets a new shield, that new shield may well mean we are now able to take on content we couldn't before he had it. As such, that shield means you are able to kill more than you were before.

People that do not see this are not welcome in my raid or guild.

Well good for you (sorry your response definitely came off as combative but I can understand why as mine came off selfish as hell so fair ball)

Honestly I'm not, anyone who has done any real amount of raiding time know that there is almost always going to be bosses in line that will be worthless to your toon. You pull you weight on those because there will be bosses that as just as worthless to your co-raiders and they are expected to pull on those.

But we are not talking raids here, we are talking Legendaries, You know those dumb as hell epeen items that only one or a handful of persons can get, usually reserved by the GM or officers as the price we pay for their oh so vaunted leadership (not saying raid leadership isn't a massive pain in the ass as I have been both GM and raid leader in my time). But the justification is still always bullshit in the end.

Now realistically there will only ever be three places where a single item can make a difference.

1. you are doing 1%er content (wow mythic raids final bosses) Yes this hypo shield could and can make the difference, but in fairness while having done my server first days they are long behind me and I won't be doing that again. I respect that ability of those who do it and all the power to them, not for me anymore and if that's your guild your right I am not capable of that level anymore nor would I want to be.

2. It is needed to progress (Shield of Uber required Resist for mechanic) This fall unnder bad game design and never should be defended.

or 3. You are an incompentant group who cannot progress unless everyone over gears stuff. (Lets call this the bottom 10%). While my server first days are behind me I have never been nor never will be this bad. Again a group I would not be welcome in nor ever want to associate with.