Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Do not RESTRICT the bard archtype to only being a musician

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I am aware bards during the 1400s to 1500s were often only connected to music. Bard even means singer in gaelic. But during the 1700th century, the meaning of bard shifted. The meaning is MOST ACCURATLY translated to "poet".

Bardh will most likely be the least popular class in my opinion. And while there are a lot of people liking the idea of a banjo playing singer in the battlefield, this fantasy will put of a lot of people. So what can we do then? The solution is simple.

The bard has 8 class options to choose from. Don't make all 8 of these music-oriented classes. This is uneccesary restriction. Remember, bards are poets. They dont have to be musicians. 4/8 of the bard classes can be focused around music in some way, but dont limit it to that, let the other 4/8 classes specialize at stuff outside music.

I really want to be a bardh, I never want to play music.

From the wiki:
The bard knows secret and powerful words, is able to speak into being terrible nightmares, or convince foes to become friends = does not need to be musical

Bards have often been portrayed as a musical class and while they can be that, many Bard applications may exist in just telling a story.

Bards will have a wide range of abilities to choose from, such as wordsmithing, acting, and musical aspects.

My wish
The bard/bard class should have a mix of everything a bard can do. The other bard classes should specialize it more.

Some of the 8 bard classes should have nothing to do with music. Not a single ability should have to do with playing an instrument, or singing music. I am very sure this would attract more people to the class.

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There are some other Bard related comments that I think you will find interesting in another BARD titled thread on this forum. Check it out...seems to be a lot of interest in Bards.

Hopefully we will see lots of bearded bards in boots, bringing beer, beating beasts & blearing the beat!
  • Options
    squeeteesqueetee Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So if they aren't music oriented which I think is very common for fantasy role players these days, what will their abilities be?

If bard A is music and ability 1 plays a heavy beat for say a damage buff. Than what will bard B do? Recite a poem or limerick?
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes, or a story of Olde Verra. Each of which might have a different impact...adding damage against dark creatures, increasing cast speed for healers, slowing enemy archers' firing speed.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    From the Bard page on the wiki
    Bards have often been portrayed as a musical class and while they can be that, many Bard applications may exist in just telling a story. Telling a story is going to be the thematic component of how the Bard interacts with the party. And that story is going to enhance player's abilities to perform.

This is something I am personally very happy with.
  • Options
    Shakespeare, born in the mid-1500s, is known as "The Bard". He was a pretty much entirely spoken Bard. There's no reason they have to be music-only.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    squeetee wrote: »
    So if they aren't music oriented which I think is very common for fantasy role players these days, what will their abilities be?

If bard A is music and ability 1 plays a heavy beat for say a damage buff. Than what will bard B do? Recite a poem or limerick?

What does music do? Raise morale, while the tune is being played.

Now a Bardh without music might grant longer lasting buffs, might curse enemies or trick them.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I can just imagine:
    In the middle of a siege's battlefield, a bard paces slowly with forlorn expression speaking to a skull in his hand and gesturing wildly with the other.
    Three soldiers are sitting huddled before him, captivated by his performance, weapons on the ground.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Shakespeare, born in the mid-1500s, is known as "The Bard". He was a pretty much entirely spoken Bard. There's no reason they have to be music-only.

I cast words of power "why is one hitting thy self"
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    Don't forget dancing and other physical forms of interpretation like miming.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dreoh wrote: »
    Don't forget dancing and other physical forms of interpretation like miming.

does that make harlequins max level bards?

Otcp9Gd.gif
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    Oh but of course
  • Options
    DaeraxDaerax Member
    edited April 2021
    EDIT: I missed some parts of the first post and with that the point of it. My previous comment didn't really make sense in that context...
  • Options
    VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited April 2021
    maouw wrote: »
    I can just imagine:
    In the middle of a siege's battlefield, a bard paces slowly with forlorn expression speaking to a skull in his hand and gesturing wildly with the other.
    Three soldiers are sitting huddled before him, captivated by his performance, weapons on the ground.

I'd like to add that the skull's probably somewhat charred on the outside due to fire magic burning the flesh & hair away in an instant, while the inside's still rare ~ medium rare, with blood still dripping from where used to be the neck. Apparently the mage who threw that fireball's also a master chef.
    Now I can see perfectly why the soldiers are sitting huddled before him.

Anyway, yup definitely plz go beyond the typical bards=musicians stereotype. As others have mentioned already bards are more like storytellers (or Loremasters?), I won't be surprised if they can pull a super-ancient draconic / rune magic or two... that buffs ppl.
  • Options
    I actually kind of like bards to be musical. I've seen in other games where they have bards and they are just basically rogues that mostly go around with a sword/dagger but with one or two music themed ability names they throw out before the raid starts. That doesn't really have a very unique personality for me, and the musical aspect can add to that. I'm fine with lore focused bards, but make that stand out somehow imo....

To be honest I would even love to see bards have to weave together different spell/songs ocarina of time style by playing different note patterns, but maybe that's a little unlikely.
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    daveywavey wrote: »

I cast words of power "why is one hitting thy self"

giphy.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I want my bard to wield a banjo.
  • Options
    AerlanaAerlana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    bards are artist, showman. Any kind of "moving" art is fitted for bard. Music, taleteller, dancer. and more...

the bind bard<=>music mainly comes from (i think) D&D... where Wizard of the Coast... did one of its many big, stupid mistakes on bard. While presenting bard as artist, they made all bard capacity bind to... music. while i can understand to not include dance (because the friend/victim have to see/hear the artpiece the bard use to do magic for the system logic in DD) the sound can be far more way than music.

I just want one thing in games : the bard has to be artist, and skill around it. If it is stick to music (with a lore logic) i am find with it, any artistic sound, ok. dance ? also. But not like most pen&paper player does play the bard : a character based on dexterity/agility, with big charism. and just saying "i use this skill to boost this rogue stats" ... Not it has to be an artist first !
  • Options
    I have said it once and I will say it again, Beat-boxing bards would be so freakin cool.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu