Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

PvX content: Watchtowers!?

Hey, hear me out on this one.
I have been thinking alot about ashes lately as we all do that are here i would imagine, and i came up with a cool idea possibly.
Without knowing all that much about node sieges we all know you are going to be able to attack nodes or more like the nodes city. Everything about that sounds awsome, massive battles, cordinated groups/raidparties or just that one guy trying his best in the thick of battle. But how often is that going to happen? I don't mind if it's fairly rarely, that would just make it more epic when it eventually happens.

But what about some kind of watchtowers that are located around the node in strategic places that anyone with a strong enough group can take over and get the benefits/loot from or rather strip the owners of the node of something important the watchtower is there for. It can be anything from spawnpoints, safer traderoutes, a chest to put materials in or whatever you can think of. I would imagine that is going to be a reason for larger groups to fight over, especially right before that node is going to be sieged because that would also work as a kind of test beforehand for a guild or another node that is going to declare war on the node to see how strong their defences are, beacuse usually in games the defenders have the advantage. Would be kind of lame if the attack on the node was super easily defended or the other way around just a PvDoor scenario while alot of people have waited up to 5 days prior to take part in the attack or defence of the node. Watchtower fights would fill that void in between the bigger node battles.

They could even have mobs attack the towers occasionally. A horde of skeletons and zombies in the night or a big ass giant of various kind. So i guess both pvp'ers and pve'ers would be happy.

Idk does this sound crazy? Is there something that would totally not work? Is there any similar system that already exist? Any use you could think of if they implemented this kind of content? Would be fun to hear what you guys think. Im just having some fun theory crafting/suggesting while I wait to play the game :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    I'd like to see a more in depth EVE/Albion styled territory control system as well.
  • Options
    OrymOrym Member
    Bricktop wrote: »
    I'd like to see a more in depth EVE/Albion styled territory control system as well.

True, would be awsome if ashes went with a system that encourages big pvp fights all over the map constantly to really make it feel alive.
  • Options
    We don't know just yet what players will have to do, in order to obtain the object(s) needed to initiate a Node siege; Some lesser system like this sounds like a fun option, to get one!

A group of x amount of players initiates a "watchtower" siege, with 30 minutes' notice to Node residents, who can come and defend. If the attackers win, it could be a good indication that they might be able to muster enough of a force to stand a chance in sieging the Node's city.

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Let's make it a 12 hour notice, to make it a fair fight.
  • Options
    OrymOrym Member
    We don't know just yet what players will have to do, in order to obtain the object(s) needed to initiate a Node siege; Some lesser system like this sounds like a fun option, to get one!

A group of x amount of players initiates a "watchtower" siege, with 30 minutes' notice to Node residents, who can come and defend. If the attackers win, it could be a good indication that they might be able to muster enough of a force to stand a chance in sieging the Node's city.

I like that idea. I visualised it more in the style of the towers being "open" at all times to reduce the waiting and downtime from especially pvp battles, but could have a longer time to capture it so node residents have a chance to defend.
  • Options
    SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It would be cool to have 4-6 towers associated with each castle that guilds could fight over as well. Owning it gives some sort of perk to a guild, but each guild can only own one and they change hands frequently. This could be great for all the smaller competitive guilds who are not powerful enough to contest a full castle. Maybe when it's captured it can't be siege for 3 - 5 days just to ensure there is some minimum time for the guild to enjoy the perk.
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Honestly thought this thread was about starting your own in-game Jahova's Witness cult.

Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Karthos wrote: »
    Honestly thought this thread was about starting your own in-game Jahova's Witness cult.
    LOL I hope I'm one of the first 144,000 on the server....

I like the idea of a smaller non-siege type PvP option. Aside from stalking caravans (may not always be an option) and waiting for sieges which many people probably wont even have schedules that fit the time frame, something else structured is needed for sure.

I don't think there should be a notice restraint time (or much of) to it though, as if it was very egregious then limited free time folks like me still couldn't be involved in much PvP. With that kind of quick assault format though, it would have to not debilitate or penalize it's associated node too much for being taken as sneak invading all the watchtowers could be easy.
  • Options
    ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER
    THE PRINCESS KEPT THE VIEW
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like this idea!

I have a feeling players will want to siege more than is healthy for node stability.
    If this is the case, watchtower mini-sieging would be perfect for sparring and provide political objectives to fight over, and like OP suggests - a precursor to full-scale node sieges.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Pretty cool idea. I did enjoy the open world pvp that they added into the burning crusade in wow. Each zone had a claimable objective that would then give that faction a buff until someone else took it. Early on it created a lot of fun pvp moments.

In AoC, this can be easily achieved while giving a bonus to the holder. Maybe only give a 30 or an hour of immunity before it can be taken back. The buff can be very minimal but decent enough for people to want to go take it real quick or while passing through.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    clone63 wrote: »
    Karthos wrote: »
    LOL I hope I'm one of the first 144,000 on the server....

I like the idea of a smaller non-siege type PvP option. Aside from stalking caravans (may not always be an option) and waiting for sieges which many people probably wont even have schedules that fit the time frame, something else structured is needed for sure.

I don't think there should be a notice restraint time (or much of) to it though, as if it was very egregious then limited free time folks like me still couldn't be involved in much PvP. With that kind of quick assault format though, it would have to not debilitate or penalize it's associated node too much for being taken as sneak invading all the watchtowers could be easy.

How about a 19m14s countdown until it can be attacked?
  • Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the idea in general. Anything that makes the world more alive and brings players together in teamwork and conflict is a good idea.
  • Options
    Sounds awesome!