Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Processing compared to crafting and gathering

Is it just me or does processing lack the RNG burst of income that the other 2 artisanship's have? Being for example : getting a rare gem from gathering and getting a rare recipe from a boss for crafting. Might make processing (besides animal husbandry) seem kind of monotonous.

Comments

• Options
    Processing does seem like that awkward middle child. To get the good gathering materials, you have to delve into the dangerous dungeons and raids, then boring processing stuff at the freehold, then you sell that epic or legendary sword or armor or whatever that is really cool.

Not sure what you can do about it tho. It would be kinda cool if you had to go to a scientific metropolis or something to process the epic or legendary materials, but also that would be a giant pain in the ass.

We also don't know what Intrepid is really planning for their crafting systems, especially the processing.
  • Options
    McShave wrote: »
    Processing does seem like that awkward middle child. To get the good gathering materials, you have to delve into the dangerous dungeons and raids, then boring processing stuff at the freehold, then you sell that epic or legendary sword or armor or whatever that is really cool.

Not sure what you can do about it tho. It would be kinda cool if you had to go to a scientific metropolis or something to process the epic or legendary materials, but also that would be a giant pain in the ass.

We also don't know what Intrepid is really planning for their crafting systems, especially the processing.
    Does seem like a hard problem to solve, could be brought up in one of the following Q&A segments.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I dont personally see it as a problem.

To me, people will be gathered or crafters because that is what they enjoy, but people will be processors because that is where the money is at.

I dont think many people will spend all day cutting up pixel logs for fun - they will do it because that is where they see the easy profit.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I will be focused on processing. It will definitely be the least popular path and I am ok with that. It will all balance out eventually as we discover what they have in store for us.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Apparently the good thing about processing is that you can set it to automation in your home while you actively do other things to progress your character and wealth.

While you gather, you cant do anything else. I was thinking "screw processibg and homes. I wanna play out of the city walls, so Ima go gather for gold" but after a recent interview with steven on pathfinders I am seeing processing more favourably.
  • Options
    SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Processing seems a bit overkill to me. I would have recommended baking it into either the gathering or the crafting side. Probably the crafting side if the same raw materials could be processed different ways for different professions.
  • Options
    Saedu wrote: »
    Processing seems a bit overkill to me. I would have recommended baking it into either the gathering or the crafting side. Probably the crafting side if the same raw materials could be processed different ways for different professions.

That takes away from the game though unless I'm reading this wrong.

The way it's currently set up creates a greater need for player interaction and dependency on each other.

Instead of 3 people needed to complete a piece of gear, you only need 2 now with your suggestion.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Maybe add rare RNG prossesing procs?
    Like double/triple production result or rare processed items possibility?
    And have higher possibility of those rare RNG procs based on your processing mastery and the tier/grade of your processing bench?
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    Perhaps a processing quality so rng high quality makes a really potent material for superior fixing durability on weapons/armour.
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm not really concerned. I trust them to make it interesting.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member
    edited April 2021
    Well the wiki says that "the quality of crafting materials will influence the quality of the crafted item"

So this could be interpreted as each material can have a quality rating.
    Meaning when you're smelting iron ore, you could have a chance to create "quality iron ore", which blacksmiths could then use to create better iron swords from.

Though the source for that quote links to the wrong video and I couldn't find the actual source after some searching
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    I'm sure they are "aware of the issue" because, correct me if I'm wrong, Steven put out a line some time ago about thinking that processors are possibly getting a chance of upgrading the quality of materials that they are transporting from one city to another.

Also they quite definitively said the stage of processing will be the bulk of the time resources will be in. They want processors to be able to create bottlenecks. Bottlenecks means a shift in demand and supply, results in price spikes people will pay and they will, they always do.
    Commissioning a processor who is capable of processing "that thing" the fastest might be worth quite some money when you need certain resources fast with a siege hanging over your head all of a sudden. There is a bit of subtlety going on in terms of money potential that surface level processing just doesn't show on it's own. It might be more volatile then having simply x%-chance of gathering highest level resource, it's definitly more human driven, but in my opinion it's not lacking in potential at all.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    Dreoh wrote: »
    Well the wiki says that "the quality of crafting materials will influence the quality of the crafted item"

Meaning when you're smelting iron ore, you could have a chance to create "quality iron ore", which blacksmiths could then use to create better iron swords from.]

This has been seen in many other games, and it is just not interesting. Basically with this system you have to process 100s of a specific thing, let's say oak wood planks, so that you have a higher chance of making a 115% quality plank instead of 100% quality plank. Really not that interesting when it means that your house will have 15% more durability or whatever.
  • Options
    DreohDreoh Member

Meaning when you're smelting iron ore, you could have a chance to create "quality iron ore", which blacksmiths could then use to create better iron swords from.]

This has been seen in many other games, and it is just not interesting. Basically with this system you have to process 100s of a specific thing, let's say oak wood planks, so that you have a higher chance of making a 115% quality plank instead of 100% quality plank. Really not that interesting when it means that your house will have 15% more durability or whatever.

How is that any different than what others have stated here about getting random bonus loot when gathering?
  • Options

How is that any different than what others have stated here about getting random bonus loot when gathering?

I don't think this is an exciting system for any form of profession. I just think gathering and crafting are more exciting because of the processes involved. Gathering involves exciting adventure, crafting involves selling a cool final product, and processing is an afk process that is done while you're not even paying attention.