Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Desires for resource collection. Feel free to say what you do or dont like about my ideas.

LobodyneLobodyne Member
edited April 2021 in General Discussion
It would be cool for resources like forests and quarries/mines to have a finite amount of resources but also realistic in the sense that they probably won't run out of trees, stone, or ore for a long time. A long time being years or even forever because there is going to be more than one place that trees exist and maybe planting trees or other plants might even become a profession.

Now for a somewhat realistic desire rather than just daydreaming. I wish that the amount of time it takes to work on one tree or one vein or one berry bush is considerably longer than most mmo's. Not to decrease the resources generated per minute but to make each time I gather resources more meaningful. Different size trees should be available too, well at least the masters should be able to tackle larger trees. And also just chopping down a tree doesn't make instant logs

What I want the most is a nice animation for both cutting down a tree and mining any rock while seeing progress such as chunks of wood missing or rocks falling out of the vein. And please more than 1 animation; even if the one animation is pretty it will get stale.

None of this is a make or break for me to try the game but I definitely will play for longer the more I like the way mastering lumberjacking feels.

Comments

• Options
    grisugrisu Member
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Materials
    Gatherable resources (also known as raw materials and harvestables) occur in locations where you would expect them to be organically.[9]

Some resources will be one-time gatherables that will randomly respawn at a different location once collected.[20][21]
    Other resources will exist as a cluster (also called vein gatherables). These will last until the full resource is depleted.[20][21][9]

Like a large mine that's present and has a vein of mithril ore in it, or a herd of some type of animal that you can collect fur or wool from.[21] – Steven Sharif

There will be moving resources such as herds of animals that are constantly moving around the world.[22]
    Once a resource is depleted from one location it may respawn in the same location or somewhere else, depending on the type of resource.[21][9][22]
    Resources respawn on a cooldown basis.[9]
    Resources won't be locked to the node system.[9]
    Some unique resources may be monsters in disguise or have monsters defending them.[23]
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    grisu wrote: »
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Materials
    Gatherable resources (also known as raw materials and harvestables) occur in locations where you would expect them to be organically.[9]

Some resources will be one-time gatherables that will randomly respawn at a different location once collected.[20][21]
    Other resources will exist as a cluster (also called vein gatherables). These will last until the full resource is depleted.[20][21][9]

Like a large mine that's present and has a vein of mithril ore in it, or a herd of some type of animal that you can collect fur or wool from.[21] – Steven Sharif

There will be moving resources such as herds of animals that are constantly moving around the world.[22]
    Once a resource is depleted from one location it may respawn in the same location or somewhere else, depending on the type of resource.[21][9][22]
    Resources respawn on a cooldown basis.[9]
    Resources won't be locked to the node system.[9]
    Some unique resources may be monsters in disguise or have monsters defending them.[23]

To me it feels like this is a response to my first paragraph which I appreciate. I guess I also wanted people's opinions on what I wanted even if most of my wants weren't realistic or expectations.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I understand what you mean here. I enjoyed the tree cutting in Valheim MUCH more than in Rust. Both were enjoyable at first but Valheims tree cutting was just a great feeling and I didn't really feel like I was just farming.

As for the taking years to clear out finite amounts.....no. This is a very terrible idea IMO. I don't want my forest to every look empty. They spend the decorating this lush landscape so there should be permanent trees as well as gatherable trees.

Trees should drop bulk lumber and a processor should be responsible for processing this lumber into planks to then be used to build our freeholds as well as crafters to use for gear. I believe this is already the plan.
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »

Trees should drop bulk lumber and a processor should be responsible for processing this lumber into planks to then be used to build our freeholds as well as crafters to use for gear. I believe this is already the plan.

I like to idea of processing them at a freehold. I also would like to have to chop the tree into 2-4 chunks after chopping it down if it is especially tall.

Also now that I think of it a bare forest would look terrible. You are totally right about that.
  • Options
    We do know that gatherable resources will move around the map. Your farming spot one day will not be there the next day, or so they say.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    McShave wrote: »
    We do know that gatherable resources will move around the map. Your farming spot one day will not be there the next day, or so they say.

I know what you mean but I just imagined an iron node with spider legs walking around
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »
    I understand what you mean here. I enjoyed the tree cutting in Valheim MUCH more than in Rust. Both were enjoyable at first but Valheims tree cutting was just a great feeling and I didn't really feel like I was just farming.

But, it took so long.....
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    grisugrisu Member
    @Lobodyne I have no opinion on your suggestions. No feelings on how long it should take to harvest something, fancy animations or whatnot. I'm a crafter but I could barely care any less about how it looks to gather what I need. How we gather things, now that's interesting and they made some nice hints about that, so yeah. My opinion about not having feelings about it one way or another.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • Options
    I think they are artificially doing your idea to some extent. Where it sounds like it's going to be same as other games you have to keep in mind how big the game world is going to be. It's going to have a bigger map than WoW and all it's Expansion's lands all put together.

So when stuff respawns it could respawn a literal hour walk away.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East