Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Resurrection while in combat: Yay or Nay?

I have seen a number of MMOs approach this differently.

Combat Rez can be wonderful to survive tough encounters and makes healers feel awesome for saving their party from a wipe.

On the other hand it can make PvP stupidly annoying and Raid content too easy.

What would you like to see? Resurrection while in combat Yay or Nay?
Sig-ult-2.png

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As someone planning to play as a cleric as my main, I want an active rez spell. I want to be useful and I won't have much dps.
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In my mind it comes down to how the devs balance it and if there is an appropriate risk vs reward. In ESO for instance to rez a player in combat you either need to commit to a interruptible channel for a few seconds or use an ultimate. This ultimate ability takes a really long time to recharge. Both mechanics are balanced pretty and despite how strong they can be they don't hurt the game play.
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited April 2021
    Yes ofc. For healers and mb the tank/cleric class, rez should be a quick cast. For any other player it should require a consumable (not as common as ESOs soul crystals) and a long casting time, giving time for the opponents to interupt or killer the caster.

But definatly allowed during combat.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I believe Resurrection while in combat is a necessity for the healer class(cleric archetype) and something that consolidates it as a unique class.
    It's proper balancing only comes down to Cast time and cooldown time.
    Also how much exp does it recover from death(assuming it would in ashes).
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Yay
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean thats the whole job of necromancers :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Part of the reason why every Savage and Extreme encounter in FFXIV has a enrage timer is to combat the fact that all of the res spells work in combat. The makes it so that in order for fights to be hard(especially at the start of a patch) DPS must be constant. There was no enrage timer and you could just res people up all day. Four DPS with res spells would be the meta. The content would be a lot easier. Most encounters are tuned so that any deaths with a average party's DPS will result in a wipe week one. You might get away with a death if the res is fast enough and DPS is above average.

Not saying that this will be the case for Ashes I just wanted to throw out a point that res changes high end encounter design. WOW only has a handful of combat res spells and they have a long cooldown. This allows for some flexibility with enrage timers in raids. The content in WOW does not have to be tuned as hard.

If we do get any instanced raids encounters in Ashes. The ability to res in combat would defiantly have to be taken into account with tuning raid difficulty.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    tautau wrote: »
    As someone planning to play as a cleric as my main, I want an active rez spell. I want to be useful and I won't have much dps.
    Seems likely you will have plenty of dps in Ashes because Cleric healing abilities also wield damage to enemies.
  • Options
    I would love to see rez in combat. Needs to be not spammable, with a long cooldown or long cast time.
  • Options
    McShave wrote: »
    I would love to see rez in combat. Needs to be not spammable, with a long cooldown or long cast time.

That is likely the best option.

You got me thinking though...

I would instead like to see it be considered as a 2 person ritual in combat. Like you start casting it and a second player needs to help you channel it in order to coordinate a res in combat. Kind of like the summoning stones in WOW.

Out of combat could just be a normal spell.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I could see a spell needing two cleric/* casting simultaneously for an in combat rez - though I would like to see necromancers have a fast casting one on their own on a 5+ minute cooldown.

Make a necro your emergency rez caster, and clerics for more general, less important ones.
  • Options
    I'd expect either long-cast combat rez and/or short-cast combat rez with long cooldowns.

IMO having absolutely no combat-rez essentially encourages two things:
    1. Those who died during combat are much more likely to go afk
    2. Deaths -> awww we can't win let's wipe & restart
    ... it's boring, and wastes ppl's time.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sieges would last only a few minutes and non-events if there was no rez in combat.
    Simiarly, rez`ing in PvE from accidental party wipes would be tedious and infuriating if long cast / long cool down.

Comes down to what is defined as long, I guess long being 30sec, 2min, 10min, 20min etc?
  • Options
    I guess I am in the boat of.... if you have an in combat rez the CD would have to be long. That being said there would have to be an out of battle rez that would be spammable essentially so as to save time in instances so as to avoid wasting time during wipes and what not. I mean a CD of say 15-20 minutes for a combat rez seems reasonable for pvp encounters since those engagements would only allow for one or two cast to be allowed considering most pvp instances wouldn't last longer than 30 minutes I would think.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's something of a necessity. Can you imagine how absolutely boring it would be to take an unlucky hit at the start of a boss fight, and to have to just sit there watching for the next 15mins while your team tried to take it down without you?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Yeah, it's something of a necessity. Can you imagine how absolutely boring it would be to take an unlucky hit at the start of a boss fight, and to have to just sit there watching for the next 15mins while your team tried to take it down without you?

In most cases for heard end-game content. Someone being down that long would guarantee enrage. The tuning of fights is such that you need everyone, even the HEALERS!!!!! to be doing as much DPS as possible to get the kill. This is the case in WOW/FFXIV at least.

I would not want to fight a boss where anyone could be down for more than 30secs and we still have enough DPS to get the kill. Just sounds too easy.

What I am saying is that if they are tuning these end game fights to be hard, it is not a issue because you will just wipe it up if more than one person dies or someone is dead for too long.

I just don't like combat res because it brings too much attrition too the table. This is true in both PvE and PvP.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    It adds extra decisions to the process, though. If it's still early on, then you'll want to get that DD back up to add to the damage dealt. Losing a few seconds of Healer DPS is totally worth it for getting that DD back into the fight. But, if you're near the end of the fight, or some sort of mechanic needs you to do a certain amount of damage in a short window, you might choose to leave them down and continue with your paltry Healer-damage. More decisions = good!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I would not want to fight a boss where anyone could be down for more than 30secs and we still have enough DPS to get the kill. Just sounds too easy.
    I know we've had this discussion before, but not all of the difficulty of a top end encounter needs to come from DPS.

That is coming from a primarily glass cannon player.

Things like this are great for DPS checks, but as a general rule, a check of any sort that is this tightly gated only works in a game witha fairly linear gearing paradigm.

In most top end raid fights (actual raids, with 20+ people), someone being down for 30 seconds can be made up with two or three DPS gear upgrades spread around the raid. If there is that small of a gap, it means your raid doesn't have a shot at the content until they have literally all the gear previous to it.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    It adds extra decisions to the process, though. If it's still early on, then you'll want to get that DD back up to add to the damage dealt. Losing a few seconds of Healer DPS is totally worth it for getting that DD back into the fight. But, if you're near the end of the fight, or some sort of mechanic needs you to do a certain amount of damage in a short window, you might choose to leave them down and continue with your paltry Healer-damage. More decisions = good!

It permanently adds a complication to encounter design where mechanics and can be cheesed by abusing purposeful deaths, and makes everything easier globally.

Normally I would agree with "more decisions=good", but in this case you are taking decisions the devs could be making with encounter design and giving them too the players. The devs will have less decisions.

I used FFXIV as a case and point. It is not a decision the devs make to add a enrage timer to each fight in savage/ex. It is outright mandatory when all healers can battle res, and some DPS can battle res. If there was no enrage time many of the fights could be cleared in a hand full of pulls. It would just be too easy.

It is also not great in PvP, because it could just make small skirmishes over a caravan last hours instead of a few minutes.

The more I think about it the more I am against battle res.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    I used FFXIV as a case and point. It is not a decision the devs make to add a enrage timer to each fight in savage/ex. It is outright mandatory when all healers can battle res, and some DPS can battle res. If there was no enrage time many of the fights could be cleared in a hand full of pulls. It would just be too easy.
    Not going to lie, if a timer is the only thing giving content challenge, that is bad content.

I expect better than this from WoW developers, let alone Ashes.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    I know we've had this discussion before, but not all of the difficulty of a top end encounter needs to come from DPS.

That is coming from a primarily glass cannon player.

Things like this are great for DPS checks, but as a general rule, a check of any sort that is this tightly gated only works in a game witha fairly linear gearing paradigm.

In most top end raid fights (actual raids, with 20+ people), someone being down for 30 seconds can be made up with two or three DPS gear upgrades spread around the raid. If there is that small of a gap, it means your raid doesn't have a shot at the content until they have literally all the gear previous to it.

That just sounds like loosely tuned fights. I have said many times that adding more people to a fight does not magically make it harder. In fact most cases it makes it easier by a landslide. One person dying in a 25 to 40 man raid so much lower of a DPS loss than one person dying in a 8-10 man raid. The difference is astronomical. Especially when a lot of these 25-40 man encounters don't make the whole party react to mechanics nearly as often as 8-10 man raids. In a lot of cases I have noticed that DEVs can't even come up with creative enough things to happen to 25-40 people in a boss room, but this argument is mostly about battle res.

I just honestly feel like it is too forgiving in both PvE and PvP. The idea I had for it to be a ritual early in the thread was good to me because it makes it hard to pull off and require good coordination, whist sacrificing some more of your teams action economy. A lot of these games just let you pop people back up quickly.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Resurrection

I am thinking they are going to give us combat res anyways. That spell would say otherwise, or the rank 2 or 3 version would be in combat. I think it is a bad choice for the game long term, but I don't think people care. I think people just want things to be easy and convenient.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    Not going to lie, if a timer is the only thing giving content challenge, that is bad content.

I expect better than this from WoW developers, let alone Ashes.

It is not the ONLY thing that makes encounters hard, it just guarantees that everything is done as close to perfect as possible. It keeps scrubs from cheesing encounters, and forces tanks/healers to actually use their DPS moves while tanking/healing. The content is great, but if you had 20-30mins to do a 8-11 minute fight. You could get away with a lot of mistakes.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    I thought there was already a form of penalty in the form of negative xp loss on death.. surely that in itself is enough incentive not to go down... and no need to put long timers on rez?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    That just sounds like loosely tuned fights.

No, just fights where the tuning isn't coming from DPS.

Tuning in an encounter can come from a number of reasons. If the encounter has 4 or 5 mechanics that will wipe the raid if done incorrectly, then the encounter becomes harder the longer it goes on for - due to player fatigue.

I've had contested encounters (where if we fail the pull we will lose the encounter) that should have taken 10 minutes take upwards of 45 minutes instead, due to needing to recover from near wipes several times.

This is far more interesting content than having everything tuned for max DPS all the time.
    The content is great, but if you had 20-30mins to do a 8-11 minute fight. You could get away with a lot of mistakes.
    If you spend 20 minutes on an encounter that has a mechanic that can wipe the raid occur every 30 seconds,
    then you need to succeed at that mechanic 40 times. If the encounter takes 8 minutes, you only need to succeed 16 times.

It should be fairly obvious which of these will be easier and which will be harder. If the encounter is designed so that mechanics can be cheesed, that is once again bad content.
  • Options
    Tuning in an encounter can come from a number of reasons. If the encounter has 4 or 5 mechanics that will wipe the raid if done incorrectly, then the encounter becomes harder the longer it goes on for - due to player fatigue.

Player fatigue is nothing. It is a myth. I have wiped on a single encounter for more than 16 hours straight and not had a pull where I was going 110% percent. At most I might have to take a piss or grab a drink once ever 3-4 hours.
    I've had contested encounters (where if we fail the pull we will lose the encounter) that should have taken 10 minutes take upwards of 45 minutes instead, due to needing to recover from near wipes several times.

This is far more interesting content than having everything tuned for max DPS all the time.

That is not interesting. That is a scrub group getting a kill they did not deserve. I don't want to play a game where ass hats can fuck up a pull so bad it takes more than 4x as long as it should be and we still get loot. That kind of crap tells me the game is too easy. My first thought after doing something like that would be to find a new guild. My second thought would be to find a harder game.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Player fatigue is nothing. It is a myth. I have wiped on a single encounter for more than 16 hours straight and not had a pull where I was going 110% percent. At most I might have to take a piss or grab a drink once ever 3-4 hours.
    It isn't a myth.

If you are pulling an encounter for 16 hours straight, you are not giving it 100% concentration for that whole time. You are concentrating for the pull, the raid is wiping, and you stop concentrating.

With a long pull, you are giving it 100% of your focus for the full duration - and it can indeed be tiring.

That is not interesting. That is a scrub group getting a kill they did not deserve.

This statement suggests you think the only factor involved in a guild not being considered a scrub guild is the DPS they can output. That seems very one dimensional to me. Every raid progression should have DPS checks in it, but if that is the only thing it has going for it - or even the main thing it has going for it - it is bad content.
    I don't want to play a game where ass hats can fuck up a pull so bad it takes more than 4x as long as it should be and we still get loot.
    You mistake what I said.

With the encounter I talked about above, we didn't almost wipe because of anything the raid did wrong. We almost wiped several times because the AoE's on the encounter that particular pull happened basically at the same time. This is a downside to raids having some aspects of them being random - sometimes things happen that make the encounter far harder than they should.

If the encounter were instanced, we would have wiped and given it another pull with a better AoE timer.

That wasn't an option, there was another raid ready to pull.

As soon as the other guild saw when the AoE's were triggering, they laughed and started getting ready, they had the assumption that we were 100% going to have to end the pull.

We didn't.

We carried on. We managed to deal with the mechanics the encounter threw at us, but we did so many times by using literally every character in the raid other than the tank and his healers. That obviously meant DPS on the encounter itself was all but non-existent for minutes at a time.

We managed to survive 32 hits of those two AoE's (they were 72 seconds apart). We almost didn't survive on 4 of them.

It is perhaps worth also pointing out that this was the only time that encounter ever spawned on our server. The contested content at the time had 12 encounters - and one of these would spawn about every week. Some servers never saw some encounters at all.

This was a top end encounter that we had one pull to try and kill-that spawned with a near broken AoE timer.

You say that you would leave to find a better guild on that situation. We finished off the day as the un-denied best guild on the server - because the only other guild that was in the running watched us repeatedly survive situations as a raid that they would have wiped from.

Again, DPS checks are great - just not for every encounter. There should be encounters that test other aspects of raiding, and many of these aspects are mutually exclusive with having a timer. Hell, I've seen raid encounters that had a maximum DPS the raid could do on it - and if you went over that maximum allowed DPS it would wipe the raid.
  • Options
    From memory in L2, you could only go for perhaps 2-3hrs without needing to go back to town and get more shots.

I recall a raid once that had to be aborted at 10% as the group size was small and was going too slow and in the end several party members ran out of shots

I cannot imagine playing that long without a break of any sort! Wow... and yikes at the same time!

If AoC has limited weight capacity, then I guess players will not be able go out with too many expendables and have to return quite soon when full / nearing over weight.

I hope not like BDO with 50million micro inventory items to make space for!
  • Options
    It isn't a myth.

If you are pulling an encounter for 16 hours straight, you are not giving it 100% concentration for that whole time. You are concentrating for the pull, the raid is wiping, and you stop concentrating.

With a long pull, you are giving it 100% of your focus for the full duration - and it can indeed be tiring.

Ever hear of chain pulling? Literally hours on in of non-stop pulling to prog a encounter. It is outright offensive to take a break more than once in a 2-3 hour period for anything other then to reset the instance or repair. Which you better make it quick. It is a myth.

People have put in 40+ hour non-stop sessions on arcade games to get scores that require intense amounts of time, and focus. 95% of that time is spent playing at what would be considered the skill cap of that game. A zone beyond what the original game designers thought was reasonably possible to play at.

Getting fatigued from a 46min pull just sounds comical to me.
    This statement suggests you think the only factor involved in a guild not being considered a scrub guild is the DPS they can output. That seems very one dimensional to me. Every raid progression should have DPS checks in it, but if that is the only thing it has going for it - or even the main thing it has going for it - it is bad content.

I honestly believe that at a minimum, any encounter without some sort of enrage timer is too easy. The enrage timer does not have to be "balls to the walls" for every boss in a raid tier, but it should exist to guarantee at least some level of competence to clear the encounter.
    You mistake what I said.

With the encounter I talked about above, we didn't almost wipe because of anything the raid did wrong. We almost wiped several times because the AoE's on the encounter that particular pull happened basically at the same time. This is a downside to raids having some aspects of them being random - sometimes things happen that make the encounter far harder than they should.

If the encounter were instanced, we would have wiped and given it another pull with a better AoE timer.

That wasn't an option, there was another raid ready to pull.

As soon as the other guild saw when the AoE's were triggering, they laughed and started getting ready, they had the assumption that we were 100% going to have to end the pull.

We didn't.

We carried on. We managed to deal with the mechanics the encounter threw at us, but we did so many times by using literally every character in the raid other than the tank and his healers. That obviously meant DPS on the encounter itself was all but non-existent for minutes at a time.

We managed to survive 32 hits of those two AoE's (they were 72 seconds apart). We almost didn't survive on 4 of them.

It is perhaps worth also pointing out that this was the only time that encounter ever spawned on our server. The contested content at the time had 12 encounters - and one of these would spawn about every week. Some servers never saw some encounters at all.

This was a top end encounter that we had one pull to try and kill-that spawned with a near broken AoE timer.

You say that you would leave to find a better guild on that situation. We finished off the day as the un-denied best guild on the server - because the only other guild that was in the running watched us repeatedly survive situations as a raid that they would have wiped from.

Again, DPS checks are great - just not for every encounter. There should be encounters that test other aspects of raiding, and many of these aspects are mutually exclusive with having a timer. Hell, I've seen raid encounters that had a maximum DPS the raid could do on it - and if you went over that maximum allowed DPS it would wipe the raid.

I did not mistake anything you said. It just sounds like awful raid design. You explained it well enough.

The event you described just now makes me imagine a 45 minute benny hill skit. Which actually would be fatiguing if you had that benny hill theme music going the whole encounter.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    FerniFerni Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Res in combat? Yes but if you have a long casting time to allow players/foes to interrupt it and high mana cost to avoid resurrection spam.
  • Options
    rikardp98rikardp98 Member
    edited April 2021
    Combat resurrection should exist but should have a cold down on 20-30 mins.

It's should hurt to die on a boss encounter, if you die you die. However, having a combat rez with a long cd can "clutch" a boss kill.

Im wow classic for example the druid class was the only class with a combat rez (30 min cd), this meant that every raid wanted atleast one druid for the rez (and a buff).

So it would be cool if ashes have combat rez specific to a class or two, like cleric+ranger or something. It will give that class a role and a need.