Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Does Ashes share any similarities to "old school" MMORPG's like Everquest ?

My all time favorite game is Everquest. I loved the difficulty, the chat based questing and interactions, the huge, and dangerous zones to explore, and the range of spells and items in game. If any old Everquest players out there currently have alpha access, would you recommend that I give Ashes of Creation a shot ? Are there enough similarities to make it feel like a "real" MMORPG in your opinion ?

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes.
    Some of the devs worked on EQ.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    There are enough similarities to older games that someone from games of that vintage may well feel at home.

There are major differences though, and it would be worth spending some time on the wiki getting to understand some of the major systems in the game to see if you like the sound of the major differences or not.
  • Options
    If some of the devs worked on Everquest, you can count me in =) Even if there are substantial differences, I suspect that Ashes will bring some of the best aspects of EQ into a modern format. After taking Noaani's advice and checking the wiki, I see some very strong similarities. One of my favorites is the TTK similarities to EQ - you can't just run around and button mash one shots - each enemy requires 30 seconds to a minute to kill, which leaves openings for roaming enemies to attack you, as well as giving each mob a chance to blow its own cooldowns to change the pace of damage and combat for a trickier more tactically inclined fight.

I appreciate the answers everybody !!
    I should be seeing ya's in Beta 2 !
  • Options
    Welcome to the community.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If some of the devs worked on Everquest, you can count me in =) Even if there are substantial differences, I suspect that Ashes will bring some of the best aspects of EQ into a modern format. After taking Noaani's advice and checking the wiki, I see some very strong similarities. One of my favorites is the TTK similarities to EQ - you can't just run around and button mash one shots - each enemy requires 30 seconds to a minute to kill, which leaves openings for roaming enemies to attack you, as well as giving each mob a chance to blow its own cooldowns to change the pace of damage and combat for a trickier more tactically inclined fight.

I appreciate the answers everybody !!
    I should be seeing ya's in Beta 2 !

Welcome to the community the wiki will be your friend
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Look at the class list of Everquest and then look at the class list of Ashes. They share a lot of similarities. The extended Holy Trinity is what the game uses. Which is the same tank, healer, dps roles every MMO uses, but it also has roles that exist outside of them as well. Those roles being just as viable as the tank, healer, and dps roles.

It's not possible to have a class like a bard as a main archetype without using this kind of system. As otherwise no one would use bards except as a buff bot. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    I played EQ for 7 years. WoW 3 years from launch and last 2 years. My greatest gaming memories are from EQ. The suspense, fear, grouping and just overall fun simply doesnt exist in any game since. My biggest hopes for this game are bringing some of those things over.

I dont want to be spoon fed everything. I dont need to see an area overwhelmed with giant question marks and exclamation points for quests. I should have to read the quest to figure out what to do. Not click through it just look at the map to tell me where to go. Let ME explore.

Make it hurt when I die. Punish me for bein dumb or arrogant. Make me nervous or even scared to go into that cool lookin cave. Shove some high level nasty roaming through the woods so I have to pay attention when Im mindlessly grinding some bears for exp and pelts.

Force me to find a group. Look for help. Meet other players and actually experience things together. /55 monk LFG.

I was an end game raider in both games. And yes thats great but in WoW thats it. Create character. Spoon fed quests to max level in a week or two. Grind nonsense. Raid. Get gear that looks like all other gear. Transmog to look unique. Repeat. Give me all night PoF where ya wipe 5 times. Laugh. Cry. Pee yourself. Break a mouse. And then throw a party when ya clear. Or a 50 ft GM pops in just to chuckle at all the corpses haha
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2021
    Well... there are a lot of former EQ designers on the Ashes dev team.