Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Preventing Guild Alliances

EathanEathan Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
So, maybe this has already been addressed, and I am sure it has, but I have not been able to find it. So, my one and only worry with the game coming out is how Intrepid will keep the highest level guilds from teaming up. For example, it is already known that only 5 nodes within a world can be the highest level at a time, and in order for a new one to be formed an old one must be destroyed, at least to some degree. Now what if the highest 5 guilds within a server were to claim there nodes and then decide to team up to lock their 5 nodes into place for a long extended period of time? Is this something that others would find discouraging or is it a tactical play you guys would like to keep in place? If there are any Developers who wish to chime in please do so! Let me know, I am curious what the community thinks.
Eathanbanner.png

Comments

• Options
    So, maybe this has already been addressed, and I am sure it has, but I have not been able to find it. So, my one and only worry with the game coming out is how Intrepid will keep the highest level guilds from teaming up. For example, it is already known that only 5 nodes within a world can be the highest level at a time, and in order for a new one to be formed an old one must be destroyed, at least to some degree. Now what if the highest 5 guilds within a server were to claim there nodes and then decide to team up to lock their 5 nodes into place for a long extended period of time? Is this something that others would find discouraging or is it a tactical play you guys would like to keep in place? If there are any Developers who wish to chime in please do so! Let me know, I am curious what the community thinks.
    Eathanbanner.png
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think it’s perfectly fair and if the thousands of players who aren’t in that guild alliance want to rise up and form their own alliance to fight back, good. Think of it as The Empire vs The Rebellion.
  • Options
    RokoRoko Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    they have addressed this. Intrepid said it's unlikely a guild can control a max level node, due to the massive needs of a max level node it requires much more people than a guild can hold. Besides testing on the game mechanics is barely getting started if they notice a scenario during testing that can show a design flaw they are well on time to fix it.

So if you're concerned break it. Or demonstrate during testing or footage that it can be done and they will listen to it, and if deemed necessary fix it.
    2PXdm1m
  • Options
    KarthosKarthos Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2021
    A guild is going to make alliances that most benefit their guild. If not, then why even alliance?

How would this discourage people? Would it not also encourage people to rise up and take them out?

Having played a few games now with similar guild v guild or zone v zone types of battles, these huge alliances do exist, but the beauty is, they don't exist in a vacuum, the server is always in flux, there are always power plays, new guilds, new alliances, new circumstances and sometimes just random chaos.

I played Archeage, and there were 2 huge guilds, that teamed up to take two castles when they opened up. They then bought each other's first siege token to avoid getting sieged. The server was pretty pissed. So guess what happened? Random people started donating to a third larger guild to help them buy the siege token the next time they were available, and they got it. By then, the two large guilds had merged and so essentially one guild owned both castles. And they lost one. Because the server said "no today you fucks".

It was glorious. And watching this unfold (and being partially involved) was something amazing I'll never forget.

This is why I don't see large guild alliances being a problem. They are content.

edit. Fixed spelling mistake that was driving me nuts
    Aq0KG2f.png
  • Options
    Karthos wrote: »
    A guild is going to make alliances that most benefit their guild. If not, then why even alliance?

How would this discourage people? Would it not also encourage people to rise up and take them out?

Having played a few games now with similar guild v guild or zone v zone types of battles, these huge alliances do exist, but the beauty is, they don't exist in a vacuum, the server is always in flux, there are always power plays, new guilds, new alliances, new circumstances and sometimes just random chaos.

I played Archeage, and there were 2 huge guilds, that teamed up to take two castles when they opened up. They then bought each other's first siege token to avoid getting sieged. The server was pretty pissed. So guess what happened? Random people started donating to a third larger guild to help them buy the siege token the next time they were available, and they got it. By then, the two large guilds had merged and so essentially one guild owned both castles. And they lost one. Because the server said "no today you fucks".

It was glorious. And watching this unfold (and being partially involved) was something amazing I'll never forget.

This is why I don't see large guild alliances being a problem. They are content.

I wish that was always the case though, Similar situation in Albion Online but the biggest guilds teamed up and kept it that way. The mecha guilds would allow people to join them and that was the only way people could get certain things and so they did. In the process the bigger guilds only got stronger because of taxing goods. Point is, is in an ideal world I'd love to think that one strong guild would fight another, but that hasn't always been the case. If it's true that even a max capacity guild would have trouble holding a node then that puts my mind to ease a bit, but if for some reason that isn't the case because time and time again players have been underestimated in online games with what they can achieve then I hope some guilds out there can team up to take out the higher guilds. Realistically it just doesn't happen. People have complained in games in the past to the point where they have to add dungeon finders because they struggle to find a 5 man party. Finding enough people to take out the current strongest guild on the server might be worrisome. Now with this said I do want there to a possibility for a guild to hang on to there node forever given they put in the work. I just don't want it to be due to the number of strong allies they have. This game has a huge emphasis on PvP, and if you take away the fights amongst the strongest guilds it can quickly becomes a slaughter amongst the smaller guys.
    Eathanbanner.png
  • Options
    This has the potential to stop the game from growing ever again if it happens. I don't think it's going to cause people to want to form what is essentially a pug to try to put an end to it when there is essentially no limit to how big a guild can get within the game.

Sure there is a guild limit, but people make more guilds until they have as many as required or needed.

The problem with it getting to this point is new players will consider the game impossible to get into if it gets to a state like this. There isn't anything in the game right now to actually stop it from happening either. That's the problem.

The reason guilds have ruled the MMO genre for so long is because there is never any downside to forming them to be as big as possible aside from sucking the entire server into it and have no opposition. Which actually happens in retail WoW to this day. For the servers that aren't completely dead.

The devs needs to look into preventing Guild Alliances above what they want to allow into the game. No matter how unlikely or annoying it may seem to do. People will probably do it anyway if it gives them a completely unopposing advantage.

Honestly I would sacrifice the guild systems in the game and promote the node systems instead whenever possible. The alliances that would form from them are more natural to the state of the world. There isn't really a downside to limiting guilds however if the goal is to make the game not rely on them, but that isn't really what is happening yet. Right now everything in the game to make guilds as annoying as possible is in the game.

So good luck on brainstorming every possible way that guilds can potentially ruin the game. There is a crap ton of them. xD Right from day 1 they will already be at an overwhelming advantage. Not even accounting for how badly streamers are going to break things. I wouldn't be surprised if this is how the overall world defaults to at first

They probably also want to look into nodes and guilds not devolving into being the same thing. That is another possibility.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    This has the potential to stop the game from growing ever again if it happens. I don't think it's going to cause people to want to form what is essentially a pug to try to put an end to it when there is essentially no limit to how big a guild can get within the game.

Sure there is a guild limit, but people make more guilds until they have as many as required or needed.

The problem with it getting to this point is new players will consider the game impossible to get into if it gets to a state like this. There isn't anything in the game right now to actually stop it from happening either. That's the problem.

The reason guilds have ruled the MMO genre for so long is because there is never any downside to forming them to be as big as possible aside from sucking the entire server into it and have no opposition. Which actually happens in retail WoW to this day. For the servers that aren't completely dead.

The devs needs to look into preventing Guild Alliances above what they want to allow into the game. No matter how unlikely or annoying it may seem to do. People will probably do it anyway if it gives them a completely unopposing advantage.

Honestly I would sacrifice the guild systems in the game and promote the node systems instead whenever possible. The alliances that would form from them are more natural to the state of the world. There isn't really a downside to limiting guilds however if the goal is to make the game not rely on them, but that isn't really what is happening yet. Right now everything in the game to make guilds as annoying as possible is in the game.

So good luck on brainstorming every possible way that guilds can potentially ruin the game. There is a crap ton of them. xD Right from day 1 they will already be at an overwhelming advantage. Not even accounting for how badly streamers are going to break things. I wouldn't be surprised if this is how the overall world defaults to at first

They probably also want to look into nodes and guilds not devolving into being the same thing. That is another possibility.

So you are saying there are things to make it to where guilds can be annoying? Maybe due to demands of good etc, but there isn't any disadvantages to how big the guild itself can be? I think thats what I am taking away from your comment, I may be wrong, but if that's the case then what causes the guild itself to be a disadvantage? Only thing I can potentially think of is because there will be "More to feed", but with this games market being completely player driven and only being able to spec into one profession I think it'll completely make that ideology false.
    Eathanbanner.png
  • Options
    Eathan wrote: »

So you are saying there are things to make it to where guilds can be annoying? Maybe due to demands of good etc, but there isn't any disadvantages to how big the guild itself can be? I think thats what I am taking away from your comment, I may be wrong, but if that's the case then what causes the guild itself to be a disadvantage? Only thing I can potentially think of is because there will be "More to feed", but with this games market being completely player driven and only being able to spec into one profession I think it'll completely make that ideology false.

That has always been a false argument against this. There is no More to Feed in an MMO. All of these guilds are usually self sufficient in getting their own supplies and simply all blindly follow the same solo leader. That's the thing is I don't want to play a game with bee colonies. I want to play a game with real guilds actually working as they were intended in game.

Since the guilds are technically not 1 guild it actually makes them more efficient completely unintended. When commanding large armies the hard part is dividing them by what they should do. So having slave guilds makes it easy to divide tasks. Which means they can get gear and stuff like that impossibly faster than a single guild on it's own.

If they actually followed real life army mentality then I want to see their characters get deleted if they don't eat every 5 days and drink for every 3 days.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Guilds do not control Nodes.
    Guilds do not control Node Sieges.

Anyone can drop a siege flag on a Node at any time, and then everyone who wants to can join.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    Sounds like that server would have a much more static and stable world than others. Could be a good server for PvE-focused players to play on.
    if you come in here i will be forced to recog
  • Options
    Jahlon wrote: »
    Guilds do not control Nodes.
    Guilds do not control Node Sieges.

Anyone can drop a siege flag on a Node at any time, and then everyone who wants to can join.

Hold up elaborate a bit more on this please, because this is not how I've been led to believe it
    Eathanbanner.png
  • Options
    That's just his theory more or less. Until I hear about a counter to slave guilds that's not how it's going to work though.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    That's just his theory more or less. Until I hear about a counter to slave guilds that's not how it's going to work though.

My thoughts exactly, and for anyone who feels I am bashing the game, that isn't the case. We haven't even entered Alpha l. I have hope for the game and hope it takes the necessary steps to launch well, live, and grow.

Eathanbanner.png
  • Options
    StyleStyle Member
    hmm. im sure in other games there were situations where guilds ruled everything and no one could've done anything about it. There are limitations though to how many can join a siege. how big a guild can get and since guilds have talents then that 1 guild will sacrifice benefits for being huge rather than the slow ones.

Now that being said can there be hidden alliances between big and small guilds? sure.
    but since that is the case you could seriously "divide and conquer".
    They cant defend all nodes at once. The server could ally with each other, declare a siege on each mega node with a very small guild and then team up against 1 trying to confuse them which city will be attacked.

that makes them lose progress, another node can prosper and someone else can take over the leadership and control.

As much as the big guilds will find ways to dominate, the small guilds will find a way to overcome them. That's the beauty of player-driven, dynamic worlds.
  • Options
    I thought there was a mechanic involved where a node has a deteriorating XP bar, and if the citizens of that node do not keep the XP flowing in, than the Node can and will lose levels. I looked on the wiki and did not see it anywhere, but I know I heard or read it somewhere.
  • Options
    Recluse74 wrote: »
    I thought there was a mechanic involved where a node has a deteriorating XP bar, and if the citizens of that node do not keep the XP flowing in, than the Node can and will lose levels. I looked on the wiki and did not see it anywhere, but I know I heard or read it somewhere.

I have heard of this as well
    Eathanbanner.png
  • Options
    hmm. im sure in other games there were situations where guilds ruled everything and no one could've done anything about it. There are limitations though to how many can join a siege. how big a guild can get and since guilds have talents then that 1 guild will sacrifice benefits for being huge rather than the slow ones.

Now that being said can there be hidden alliances between big and small guilds? sure.
    but since that is the case you could seriously "divide and conquer".
    They cant defend all nodes at once. The server could ally with each other, declare a siege on each mega node with a very small guild and then team up against 1 trying to confuse them which city will be attacked.

that makes them lose progress, another node can prosper and someone else can take over the leadership and control.

As much as the big guilds will find ways to dominate, the small guilds will find a way to overcome them. That's the beauty of player-driven, dynamic worlds.

This goes back to one of the beginning statements someone made. The fact is it's not a perfect world and most people who care enough are likely already in one of the more prosperous guilds, finding enough people to overcome an alliance of mega guilds is likely just not in the cards. The game as far as I am aware has nothing in place to stop it and history of mmo's speaks for itself. It's happened time and time again.
    Eathanbanner.png
  • Options
    StyleStyle Member
    Eathan wrote: »
    This goes back to one of the beginning statements someone made. The fact is it's not a perfect world and most people who care enough are likely already in one of the more prosperous guilds, finding enough people to overcome an alliance of mega guilds is likely just not in the cards.

Yeah, but the other side also happens time and time again. So I would have to disagree with you on that because if it's the economy itself that is being manipulated then it would piss enough people off to rise up. In my opinion, you can tone it down a bit but shouldn't remove it completely. Since it's a player-driven world and there are so many factors in-game and in humanity itself, it would be wrong to totally forbid it from happening. In games like this, it is the constant "drama" that keeps people involved.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Guilds will have a HUGE impact in their area of the world but I have a feeling that someone who organizes the community will have an even bigger impact. I certainly want my guild to hold our section down but we will not be against banding with local players to thwart zerg alliances. To hell with those guilds.
  • Options
    We shall see how it goes, everyone so far claims they'd take action. Actions talk. See ya in two years :)
    Eathanbanner.png
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Should Intrepid limit player agency?
    How? Why? Because players are grouping up and playing the game?
    I get where your coming from with mega guilds.
    In one of the recent streams this was touched on in the Q&A portion.
    Steven said pretty much that. Player agency is paramount.
    Nodes take a lot of people a mega guild could make a bunch of smaller guilds and dominate a server. So?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Should Intrepid limit player agency?
    How? Why? Because players are grouping up and playing the game?
    I get where your coming from with mega guilds.
    In one of the recent streams this was touched on in the Q&A portion.
    Steven said pretty much that. Player agency is paramount.
    Nodes take a lot of people a mega guild could make a bunch of smaller guilds and dominate a server. So?

Nodes are meant to be dominated, not servers. Ofc you are in constant competition with the server but never in constant war.
    Eathanbanner.png
  • Options
    So should they tell paying customers that are not breaking the TOS they can't play and form up as they wish?
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    So should they tell paying customers that are not breaking the TOS they can't play and form up as they wish?

That's the point in this thread. To limit it in a way it isn't game breaking. It's an mmo and being as "Group play" focused as Steven has said of course not. They have put in a couple things into the game to prevent any groundbreaking group play but they have catered to the players in other aspects
    Eathanbanner.png
  • Options
    JiraiyaJiraiya Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Eathan makes a very valid point. There is no reason at all that the 5 largest guilds in the game would not run the server. In fact it would be in their best interest to. I do understand the idea behind "it would motivate smaller players to rise up and fight back" but that seems extremely one sided and very unlikely. The motivation for any single player or even a handful of players to try and take on the 5 largest guilds, let alone one, is a great idea on paper and awesome in motivational speeches, but the application is just not practical. It would almost seem like the theme would be "all you new players - your main focus in this awesome MMO is to solely try to take down the superpowers by yourself". This would totally take away from PVM/PVE based players and gear it more towards PVP. A large attraction for this game, to a lot of players including myself, is the PVM/PVE aspect of it. There is a lot of brainstorming and topics that need to be brought up here and we truly don't have one good answer yet. No one is saying one or the other is right, this is just food for thought.
  • Options
    So players should not be free to associate as they choose?
    How could they stop this?
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    However, often the motivation of the big guilds, those who want to control a metropolis, is PVP. Check out the recruiting posts if you don't believe me, though we all know that from the games we have played.

So they don't want to just 'control the server' - they want to fight. That is their motivation, fighting. So the big guild alliances will tend to fight each other, for the fun of it. This empowers the smaller guilds because the big ones want more allies in their wars, so the balance of power on a server will always be shifting.

That is also the likely reason for five metropolis. Not six, which would split 3-3. Not three, because 2 vs 1 can often dominate. But 2 vs 3 can be a decent fight, particularly if the 2 get smaller groups to help. I think it will probably keep things stirred up, and not lend itself to long term static dominance.
  • Options
    So players should not be free to associate as they choose?
    How could they stop this?

Literally nobody has said that...
    Eathanbanner.png
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    However, often the motivation of the big guilds, those who want to control a metropolis, is PVP. Check out the recruiting posts if you don't believe me, though we all know that from the games we have played.

So they don't want to just 'control the server' - they want to fight. That is their motivation, fighting. So the big guild alliances will tend to fight each other, for the fun of it. This empowers the smaller guilds because the big ones want more allies in their wars, so the balance of power on a server will always be shifting.

That is also the likely reason for five metropolis. Not six, which would split 3-3. Not three, because 2 vs 1 can often dominate. But 2 vs 3 can be a decent fight, particularly if the 2 get smaller groups to help. I think it will probably keep things stirred up, and not lend itself to long term static dominance.

With that logic you could use that argument to the advantage of what I'm saying. For example, by the time someone does rise up, which is already unlikely, they get 1v4'd.
    Eathanbanner.png
  • Options
    JiraiyaJiraiya Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    tautau wrote: »

I really hope this is how it would turn out. But I still have my fears on latter option. If it were to turn to that then I really feel that new player retention would be so low. As I said in my other forum post, players who are not partaking in Alpha or Beta would be at a severe disadvantage.