Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Left hand or right hand?

What do you think of having the option in character creation to be able to choose the dominant hand? It always seemed like a very interesting possibility to me, but I had never seen it. Merely on a visual level.

Comments

• Options
    SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the risk for this may be all the extra work needed to duplicate/reverse animations. That time could be spent on other features/content.

I'm not sure how much work this would take though and I don't know how important this would be for the left handed population (perhaps it is a sensitive topic given how many things in life generally cater to right handed). Personally as a right handed person I probably wouldn't care if my character was right or left handed.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Maybe in 2035. Now it seems like waste of effort
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Unless the animations are easily inverted. It is not something I want to hear that the DEVs are wasting resources on, but if it could be achieved quickly I would not mind seeing it.

Personally, I think anyone who is left handed needs to be tied to a wooden spike and burned alive. I guess that is not a big deal because they will just respawn anyways and still be a left handed abomination...
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Would be nice, but really not necessary. Yes sometimes i get a little bit annoyed but nothing special. If i dual wield my favorite weapon goes to the left. Interestingly i only ever cared about this in mmorpg, playing the witcher i didn't even think about it.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wish all game devs would start working on designing these kinds of inclusive options - the sooner the better.
    I had to wait 15 years to be able to create a character who looked like me in WoW.
  • Options
    If they can add stuff like a "boobie slider", then they can add a left/right-handed option.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    I wish all game devs would start working on designing these kinds of inclusive options - the sooner the better.
    I had to wait 15 years to be able to create a character who looked like me in WoW.

Same. It is not an unreasonable ask to reskin the textures at least 10 times and make a human skin tone selection where everyone can get a "close enough" version of their skin color on a race with human flesh tones. It is just laziness to not do this. I can understand if the race only has green or blue skin tones, but once a race has any human flesh tones in my mind it should have all of the human skin tones.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    FerniFerni Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Unless the animations are easily inverted. It is not something I want to hear that the DEVs are wasting resources on, but if it could be achieved quickly I would not mind seeing it.

Personally, I think anyone who is left handed needs to be tied to a wooden spike and burned alive. I guess that is not a big deal because they will just respawn anyways and still be a left handed abomination...

As a left handed person I feel personally attacked, all the people know you have to bury us alive to try to kill us. Just kidding.

I agree with that (not with the wooden burning spike part). It would be good to see left handed animations but if that is hard to make for the devs I would prefer them to focus on more important stuff and maybe add this feature in the future. If they just have to mirror/invert the animations it would be good to see a left hand option in the game.