Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

AFK dangerous?

Just a light topic, thinking while bored...
I have only played PVE where people often mark themselves as AFK when they go make some coffee, etc. It's especially useful for guildmates to know. I guess with PVP involved, it's too dangerous to mark yourself as AFK? I guess when gathering, you have to log out for every AFK to be safe? Seems a bit annoying-- tell guild "I'll be right back" and have to log off for every AFK or bio. How is it in other PVP games? Just curious.

Comments

• Options
    InixiaInixia Member
    edited April 2021
    pretty much although even in pvp servers there are generally hub areas where pvp is either disabled (so people can trade, etc...) or they have high lvl defensive npc's, so you really only have to worry about marking yourself afk if you don't take the time to port to a safe location or logout and you are staying in an open zone... not sure exactly how it will work in aoc though.

Even then dying isn't the end of the world, its usually just the nuisance of time spent running back.

I should also say my experience is that even in pvp servers most players (not all) are bound to ignore you rather than attack, outside of popular fighting spots... especially when everyone's first leveling.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If you are afk and it seems you have been farming, I may kill you and take your loot. Hide in some bushes or book it to a nearby town/safe are if one will exist. In other open world games like Rust/Conan Exiles there is no afk option. You will be killed if you are seen. Definitely places to hide but you never know when someone may randomly find you as they are out in the world exploring as well.

This game is going to steer away from solo players (which is an AMAZING thing). Roam/quest/grind/raid/explore in a group and this issue becomes miniscule. The community aspect will be paramount to our success as players.

Side note, I feel like this open world will not be as brutal as rust. In Rust, there is no community so who cares if you piss off 200 people. You can just change your name (kind of). In AoC, the community will remember you for everything you do. You may just piss off an afk guild leader in an alliance of 1200 people and then bam.....you and your guild are on a shit list lol. I may not end up killing afk's, just depends on who you are, if you may have loot from the area I need to farm and if I am or am not having a bad day haha.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just play a summoner you are never alone then
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    In Lineage 2 there were a few time where I had to AFK in the open world for something IRL, and I would come back to a dead body. I can only confirm one as being another player.. most other times it looked like a mob did me in me.
  • Options
    SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In WoW if I see a AFK player of the other faction I'd usually take them out.

In this game with the corruption system I'll probably only take out those that fight back to avoid the corruption penalties.

That being said, I'll probably log out here if solo and needing to afk more than 30 seconds. In WoW I don't worry about afking while logged in solo except in the Maw.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited April 2021
    Perfect example of humans serving technology instead of technology serving the humans.

Why do you feel trapped in using the /markAfkFunction? Just say "guys ima afk for a bit. Brb". They will let others know while you are away. (But I guess that's what happens when big guilds dont have real human interaction and only "lf 2 dds 1 healer for X dungeon).

Also, just as you wouldn't leave your char afk in a spot where agro mobs spawn, don't leave your char on the highway. Hide behind a rock or a bush if PvP worries you.

Also, nobody wants to risk losing their gear (which took thousands of mats to craft) and gain PK by killing you, just so that they can pick up the 200 animal skins you happen to carry on you. Not everybody is out to get you.

Did you really though "my solution is to log off." Really?
  • Options
    Just go afk. Why do you need to mark yourself as afk? As George Black said, if you're with people, just tell them. Doesn't take long to type "brb".
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ain't no pause button in trenches of world war verra.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    I'd usually park my character/ship at the closest safe zone, or activate stealth (if there's a stealth skill that'll last for the duration while I'm afk), or just logout.

That's what life's like in an open-pvp-enabled game. If I was with someone in chat or party, I'd just type "brb" then go.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

The fire balls, I still see them in my nightmares,
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

The fire balls, I still see them in my nightmares,

You should see a doctor for that.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Oh come on, just bring an empty gallon jug to sit next to your chair and you don't need to leave the screen all day.
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    Oh come on, just bring an empty gallon jug to sit next to your chair and you don't need to leave the screen all day.

4xCkmC6.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    tautau wrote: »

I'm disgusted, yet impressed.
    Just looking for a good time with chill people