Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cosmetic Store

SqueezySqueezy Member
edited April 2021 in General Discussion
The Cosmetic Store

First off, this isn't a post against the cosmetic store. It is part of the business model Ashes of Creation is going for, and I'm fine with it. As long as the store remains COSMETIC only and actually competes with in-game obtainable cosmetics, I will be happy.

moria_fin.jpg?resize=1130%2C731&ssl=1

The Problem

I think that many people looking forward to AOC are looking for a game that isn't overly pay-to-win and overly monetized. Where the game comes first and the profits come second. This was proven when the player base told the devs about the new website. The front page had the "monthly cosmetic promotion" or whatever and the player base didn't like that it seemed like a money grab. So link was very quickly changed to:

77c8d163fe08486fa570d5011b84cd2c.jpg

"Breathe Glorious Life Into Verra" Makes a lot more sense and is clearly stating that buying these packages not only gives you some sort of cosmetic but also allows the game to be developed further.
So I think having the cosmetic store be blatantly advertised in-game as a popup, or a tab in the Hotbar would be bad and unappreciated by the player base. In-game advertisements to me are extremely offputting and often break my immersion/concentration in a game.

The Solution

Very simply, put the access to the cosmetic store into an external website like ashesofcreation.com AND in the main menu. A player would log on and see the cosmetic store, and have the ability to browse all the cosmetics and buy them from that menu. BUT, as soon as a player enters the game there is just the player and the game.

I know this MIGHT not be an optimal solution from a business standpoint, I imagine that placing the cosmetic store in-game will give it more click-through and therefore more sales, but it will provide the players with a cleaner and more immersive game.

CDL_Image_01.jpg
Ymir-Transparent-Background.png
ᚺᛖᚨᚱᚦ ᛟᚠᚦᛖ ᛊᚺᚨᛞᛟᚹ ᛁᛗᛁᚱ

Comments

• Options
    You will be happy then as there will be comparable models in game. And the store will stay cosmetic only and no P2W.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No P2W was pledged according to wiki.

See:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Pay_to_win
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    So, as a artisan i see the cosmetic store as a means to simply outright de-rank me.
    artisans don't only craft or build our items for the stats but also for functionality, and surdently not least, for as a cosmetic use.
    if i will be crafting gear and people will just by something cosmetic then i feel my work is devalued because of the looks and the " coolness " that my creation will have of value.

irkallu.jpg
  • Options
    You will be happy then as there will be comparable models in game.

you mean that the cosmetics from the store will just be some sort of " recolor " of items that are obtrainable within the game? if such then there should be next to no problem, seen from an artisans point of view either.
    irkallu.jpg
  • Options
    You will be happy then as there will be comparable models in game. And the store will stay cosmetic only and no P2W.

I know that. I’m just specifically talking about the location of the cosmetic store and how it shouldn’t appear as a popup in game.
    Ymir-Transparent-Background.png
    ᚺᛖᚨᚱᚦ ᛟᚠᚦᛖ ᛊᚺᚨᛞᛟᚹ ᛁᛗᛁᚱ
  • Options
    FerniFerni Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    fidobeast wrote: »
    So, as a artisan i see the cosmetic store as a means to simply outright de-rank me.
    artisans don't only craft or build our items for the stats but also for functionality, and surdently not least, for as a cosmetic use.
    if i will be crafting gear and people will just by something cosmetic then i feel my work is devalued because of the looks and the " coolness " that my creation will have of value.

I don't think that's a problem. From my experience in FFXIV where you can buy cosmetics from the cash shop and cosmetics crafted by players from the marketplace, as far they don't make the crafted cosmetics worst looking than the cash shop cosmetic you will make a lot of money crafting them.
  • Options
    BotBot Member
    A cosmetic store like every other MMORPG would be fine. Don't need to do anything special. Just have the latest cosmetics and popular items displayed on the main site and launcher alongside everything else. Have an in-game store where you can try on cosmetics to preview before you buy.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Do also remember that the alpha and beta packs are linked to the skin pacts that's why you see them advertised more that normal skins
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace