Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Historians

One thing I am looking forward to is the possible need for historians. I assume there will be some decent mechanics like leaderboards and such, but the rise and fall of guilds and nodes will need some sort of documentation. What are your thoughts on this?
Personally I would love there to be player books and maybe soft libraries. Like someone making a public room full of chests of history books. I would also love to see the potential for YouTube channels like that one guy who tells dramatized version of stories that played out in peoples Dwarf Fortress games.
Just looking for a good time with chill people

Comments

• VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Then be a historian.

This guy has almost 2mil subs talking about one minecraft private server.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SonOfShoop
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I know there's a couple of people wanting to create websites dedicated to tracking the events of the different servers, and since there's no API available to help you, they'll need players who can help them keep track of things.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Then be a historian.

Maybe this is my call to action. I’d love to tell the stories!
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    IRL Bard
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited April 2021
    I had a similar question in a recent thread I made (that seems to have flopped).

So here's what I had written, in hopes that the conversation carries on with extra juice
    Asgerr wrote: »
    This is as much a question as it is a suggestion.

Once the game goes live, it is clear that every server will be a microcosm all of its own.

I believe it could be useful/interesting to have a page on the website or on the forums that could give metrics or weekly reports about life on your server. Things like:

• Number of players at max level
    • Royal mounts currently owned and by whom
    • Who recently cleared what raid/dungeon first
    • Number of nodes at every level of development and their name
    • Number of PvP kills
    • Top ranked players and guilds
    • Number of caravans and trade routes established

Etc.

Perhaps there could be a way to integrate it within the game itself. However you do it, it would benefit the lore and history of the player base on the server.
    This way we can keep up with what's going on across the world, even when you don't/can't travel across the world yourself.

Would this be something interesting for players? Would you prefer it all be left to player reporting and recanting their own stories? How would you implement it? In game or outside of it?
    Sig-ult-2.png
    Zaxsin wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Then be a historian.

Maybe this is my call to action. I’d love to tell the stories!

Do it!

Be the change you want to see in the world.

You can likely start practicing when the NDA is lifted with events from alpha.
    TVMenSP.png
  • There WILL be some in-game mechanics that record certain events & achievements. In terms of the latter, each Node will be equipped with a "trophy park", to denotate firsts and other achievements by the local citizens:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Trophy_park

In addition, there will be a repository of blueprints, craft-able un-locks, and of narrative events of the Node available in a town's library:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Library

And lastly, yours truly would point you towards the city hall's tools - which amongst other things will allow you to look up property owned by your fellow Node-citizens, their achievements, guilds, religions, etc (more of an on-going history than a recollection):

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/City_hall

Yours truly shares your sentiment that Nodes should have some auto-documented history, in-addition to what the players find significant - and there will thankfully be such tools built into the game!

• InixiaInixia Member
    edited April 2021
    I ran the progression tracking thread for a year or so on my server in Rift, I loved being able to keep a pulse on the various guild achievements, see competitions form, and just having a place that people could talk or get some congrats for downing a new boss...
    but it was also honestly quite a bit of work to keep updating it and getting people to self report achievements if their members were reluctant to.

edit: also there was super drama on it this one time when another higher level guild migrated to the server and started to out compete the homegrown guilds for firsts.

In AoC it seems like that might be a lot more complicated for one person to do, both with node changes and varying boss difficulties.
    edit: the forums would probably need server specific rooms closer to launch as well
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Back in L2, someone on my server (Erica) ran a gossip column on the official BB. It was the Erica Enquirer and full of truth mixed with fiction, amusing gossip and made up absurdities. We loved it.
  • maouw wrote: »
    IRL Bard

Just wait until someone writes an epic on the tales of an MMO
  • Zaxsin wrote: »
    maouw wrote: »
    IRL Bard

Just wait until someone writes an epic on the tales of an MMO

Hasn't that happened with EVE? Pretty sure I saw before you can go to amazon and get books about the history of EVE and stories of espionage and corps rising and falling.
  • I'm hoping at least one person per server will be able to make videos like this (exucse the WoW):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g19uGH4LC6Q&ab_channel=Barny64

Though it's focused on one player's experience, it really captures the goings on of a server and the tomfoolery that ensues from players being players.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Asgerr wrote: »
    I'm hoping at least one person per server will be able to make videos like this (exucse the WoW):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g19uGH4LC6Q&ab_channel=Barny64

Though it's focused on one player's experience, it really captures the goings on of a server and the tomfoolery that ensues from players being players.

I was going to bring up these exact videos. What he's doing here is just documenting the events of his server, with a bit of storytelling flair. All I ask for in regard to historians is that this type of content creation is encouraged, with mechanics like libraries to better document world events & interesting content for them to document
  • Shoelid wrote: »
    I was going to bring up these exact videos. What he's doing here is just documenting the events of his server, with a bit of storytelling flair. All I ask for in regard to historians is that this type of content creation is encouraged, with mechanics like libraries to better document world events & interesting content for them to document

Yeah, I would love to create content like that, although just being one player on one side of the world, it would be a full time job keeping up to date on all the nodes of your server. I'd probably just have to dramatize stories shared from the guilds I meet, or set up an email to take ones to talk about.
    Zaxsin wrote: »
    Yeah, I would love to create content like that, although just being one player on one side of the world, it would be a full time job keeping up to date on all the nodes of your server. I'd probably just have to dramatize stories shared from the guilds I meet, or set up an email to take ones to talk about.

gqpCn4H.png
    TVMenSP.png