Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

i have some ideas about how ranged combat could work and how the dark side of cleric augments could

PhennnPhennn Member
edited April 2021 in General Discussion
For starters im just a guy who has really only played fps or survival games with bdo and eso are the only mmos ive really played with eso is the only one i continue to play for the moment so im totally open to hearin anyones opinions on what i say next. Ill start with my thoughts on ranger being that i would love a system similar to what was seen in the show gun gale online which was the spin off of sword art online's second season where a sniper in ashes will get one shot on a group where there will be no bullet line showing the enemies the trajectory of your shot and than after that your screwed on getting more without a distraction making ranger whether using a bow or the guns that i feel pretty certain i saw in some trailer footage, feel like a true ranged character making sneaky assassinations from hundreds of feet out.
I know that would be hard to implement probably in a way that works and makes it more fair but its the sort of thing where perhaps tanks can spec into greater perception and despite losing out on having other beneficially skills it makes them serve better as a body guard with perhaps a version of perception that either fully outlines a person who has been looking at you either for too long or while aiming or something like that. really i already like the range limit on certain ranger abilities meaning you already naturally want to have some good distance to play effectively and i would love it playing ranger really felt like being a sniper running around with a barret .50 cal puting out lethal damage if given the proper distance.
I feel ive belabered that point enough with my terrible spelling and lack of punctuation and capitalization and will just move on to the bit about the clerics dark augments by saying that i feel that they should be honestly kinda a nieche that you dont see often because it both make your abilities cast times drastically increase with perhaps some just get massive dmg boosts rather than fully causing death with others either offer a precent chance on the abiliy hitting its target to insta kill and maybe for ones that get made to basically be uncastable without dying or getting stopped in 1v1s or even small group battles. i feel it would be fun as where in most mmos like eso for example (sorry its really the only one i both know real well and really like) leveling up your abilites makes them faster or more dmging or give resitances or heal you or things like that with this would be a complete flip making it realy hard to use abilites but a smart player who uses the snares and stuns perhaps this augment would also give to capture targets long enough or work well enough with a good team to make very important insta picks.
another way the dark cleric augment could go is the same way as necromancer healers in eso where its kinda rather than healing with the "holy light!" or stuff like that you heal your team by sapping energy with perhaps either a magicka or stamina drain on your enemies, team, and even you perhaps where after draining the resources either from your teammates and you you can heal your team and it would be cool if you could see the enemies resources in those regards and if they die you can target their bodies to sap the magic or stam they didnt spend perhaps even cutting off ressurection on the spot and forcing a respawn in the city. all in all there are so many ways those things could go and no matter which way with either i still will probably be a ranger primary cleric secondary with if the dark turns out to be something that doesnt fit me the life drain on the light cleric augment sounds fun as i do basically only play vamp in eso.

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Your concept sounds interesting.

If you don't mind me offering a friendly suggestion? Your big block of text is gong to intimidate a lot of people who won't read what you have to say. If you could split it up into smaller paragraphs, one idea in each, I bet you will get a LOT more discussion. More people will consider your ideas!

I personally like to re-read and edit my posts a couple of times. I still miss some errors, but it helps people to understand me. Thanks!
  • Options
    PhennnPhennn Member
    thanks for takin the time to read it and i dont mind the advice with really i am just a terrible and slow typer and often do these things like this one on phone and since i also have morning sauseges for fingers i use voice to text and forgot that im ranting. yea tho i try whenever i get onto pc to do better so thanks again for bearin with it!
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Phennn wrote: »
    snip

I got you fam, copy paste this:
    I've really only played fps or survival games, bdo and eso are the only mmos I've really played - eso is the only one i continue to play for the moment so im totally open to hearin anyones opinions on what i say next.

Ill start with ranger, I would love a system similar to what was seen in the show Gun Gale Online (a spin off of sword art online's second season) where a sniper in ashes will get one shot on a group where there will be no bullet line showing the enemies the trajectory of your shot, after that you're screwed on getting more hidden shots without a distraction.
    So whether using a bow or the guns that i feel pretty certain i saw in some trailer footage, rangers would feel like a true ranged character making sneaky assassinations from hundreds of feet out.

I know that would be hard to implement probably in a way that works and makes it more fair, but perhaps tanks can spec into greater perception and despite losing out on having other beneficially skills it makes them serve better as a body guard with perhaps a version of perception that either fully outlines a person who has been looking at you either for too long or while aiming or something like that.

Really, I already like the range limit on certain ranger abilities meaning you already naturally want to have some good distance to play effectively and i would love it playing ranger really felt like being a sniper running around with a barret .50 cal puting out lethal damage if given the proper distance.

I feel I've blabbered that point enough with my terrible spelling and lack of punctuation and capitalization and will just move on.

About the clerics dark augments: 
    I feel that they should be a niche that you dont see often because it both:
    [list]
    [*] makes your abilities cast times drastically increase
    [*] some just get massive dmg boosts rather than fully causing death, others either offer a precent chance on the abiliy hitting its target to insta kill and maybe for ones that get made to basically be uncastable without dying or getting stopped in 1v1s or even small group battles. 
    [/list]

In most mmos like eso for example (sorry its really the only one i both know real well and really like), levelling up your abilites makes them faster or more dmging or give resitances or heal you or things like that. These ideas would be a complete flip - making it really hard to use abilites - but a smart player who uses the snares and stuns that this augment would give, to capture targets long enough or work well enough with a good team to make very important insta picks.

Another way the dark cleric augment could go is the same way as necromancer healers in eso, where its kinda rather than healing with the "holy light!" or stuff like that, you heal your team by sapping energy with perhaps either a magicka or stamina drain on your enemies or team. Perhaps where after draining the resources either from your teammates and you, you can heal your team. So it would be cool if you could see the enemies resources in those regards and if they die you can target their bodies to sap the magic or stam they didnt spend, perhaps even cutting off ressurection on the spot and forcing a respawn in the city.

All in all, there are so many ways those things could go, but no matter which way with either I still will probably be a ranger/cleric with these augments. If the dark turns out to be something that doesnt fit me, the life drain on the light cleric augment sounds fun as i do basically only play vamp in eso.

You a lot of passion! haha
    I really like the idea of having an ability that doesn't reveal where you are for sniping.
    Your ideas about the dark augments are similar to what other people have been saying - so I think there will be many people using it.

but I have 2 questions:

- It sounds like you're ok with people dying really fast in PvP?
    - Is it actually awesome if the dark cleric can RNG kill a tank in 1 hit?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    PhennnPhennn Member
    firstly ty and ill give the best ansers i can :smiley:
    ok so for yoru first one i would say that in smaller scale 1v1 or even stuff like 4v4 pvp i think that quick ends would be needed if pvp is always possible so that for those not wanting to engage like caravans or monster hunting groups can more quickly get it over with and dont have a 30 min drawn out fight and it would help prevent making everyone feel like gods that need you to repeatedly strike their neck 100 times with a axe to lob off their heads and it would give more strength to having well rounded parties with the tanks to handle taking dmg for the group and healers to prolong how long before they die and than dps to come in and handle the dmg while staying behind the tanks and in front of and behind the healers to protect them better. basically it would push for even more socialness of actually joining guilds to more easily protect yourself from pk'rs.

as for your second question in retrospect i will say yea rng now that i think about it isnt a good thing and i think if the devs were to try my original idea than it would have to be long casting times that require a group to protect them and than the rest of their abilies that arent instas do just heavy dmg with the instas themselves just being such high dmg that not even tanks can handle it. i think that would be fun especially if they make a lot of the more dps type roles have great mobility so it becomes a real skill to either get around a groups defense and take out dark clerics or on the inverse trying to master all CC and having smart tanks who can keep their teams safe. still tho yea it would be hard to balance so i would say it is the sort of thing that can be done right but that can also be done very wrong very easily.
  • Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    OP,

In Ashes, one shots are not intended. However, a full spec of full glass cannon in robes being hit by a full glass cannon may be killed in a small number of attacks. We have to see how they work out the balance. But the intended time to kill is 30-60 seconds depending on the class combinations and specs.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/PvP#Time_to_kill
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think that the way that works in Ashes is that glass cannon attacker would have to be wearing armor specced with Magical bonuses while the glass cannon target is wearing armor specced with Physical bonuses.
    Even then, there would probably have to be a significant level disparity. In order to execute a one-shot successfully.
  • Options
    PhennnPhennn Member
    thats true and really its just a idea that i felt was fun to share and this right here is why i like to share cause i love talkin about stuff like this and what would or wouldnt work and really just fun or cool ideas or helping me understand things a bit better! utimiatly tho i will say that this is just from a guy who in every dark souls game i have played (i have only played 2 and 3 even though i want to play bloodborne if that ever releases to pc) my first builds were pvp glass cannons that go for absolute max dmg to merc people with greatbows. i just find it so fun to be so vulnerible if you are ever found that basically if you are seen you WILL die but if you arent than you can kill them before they ever even know your there!