Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Gathering: to sparkle or not to sparkle

13»

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    Nerror wrote: »
    Going a bit off on a tangent
    You know that isn't allowed on these forums!

:D:D:D

I defy anyone to find a thread that I've been a part of that didn't go off on a tangent! >:)

Now, which is better: Pie or Cake?!

I have one thread

its called offtopic :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • I agree with BigRamble - I'd like to see a skill or something togglable. This would help a new player or people who have a visual impairment, or someone out doing harvesting/gathering, but would be off for other types of game play.
    BigRamble wrote: »
    I'd like a brief sparkle to draw the eye like your character has noticed this thing.

Gathering can be a tedious activity so adding a search step hardly seams fun.

Perhaps a 'search' skill button which would cause all in vision and range to sparkle flag would keep emmersion vs function

OneKeytotheRight
  • Claidhemor wrote: »
    I agree with BigRamble - I'd like to see a skill or something togglable. This would help a new player or people who have a visual impairment, or someone out doing harvesting/gathering, but would be off for other types of game play.

But then the only reason not to use it to give you an advantage/increase efficiency while gathering is if you are a stickler for immersion. Almost everyone would use it then. If you watch the video, does it not seem clear enough without sparkles? I guess we'll have to see with more final graphics but it looks very obvious to me personally once you know what you're looking for.
  • LethalityLethality Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    neuroguy wrote: »

Right, but you don't need to emulate becoming more adept, players will literally get better as they invest time and advance in the gathering artisan tree anyways. People's eyes will sensitize to the resources they gather, and just like skyrim, you'll recognize things a lot easier, but I've already explained all of that.

Hmm, but then isn't that true of every skill, combat included? People will just "literally get better" so there's no need to emulate them getting stronger or more dexterous?

World Class Indoorsman
  • Lethality wrote: »
    Hmm, but then isn't that true of every skill, combat included? People will just "literally get better" so there's no need to emulate them getting stronger or more dexterous?

So you're basically asking the same question as Voidwalkers:
    I would question what makes "gatherable resource identification" an exception, that it should remain a purely player-skill?

To which I answered:
    Well, not necessarily an exception but here are 2 reasons:
    1. Your dps, crit chance and hit chance don't fundamentally change your gameplay loop in combat while having sparkles or things showing up on your minimap/compass when there was no such indicators before does change the gathering gameplay loop. Now if you enjoyed the initial gameplay loop it would not be good for it change (while admittedly if you didn't, you may welcome the change).
    2. You don't need to increase damage, attack speed, crit chance, hit chance, weapon range and every other way of showing character's growth in combat every time you level up. You can pick a few and let the rest be dependent on gear, or buffs or other sources. Similarly, you don't need to increase gathering yield, detection range, detection ease etc and can pick one or two. You can simply choose to omit "gatherable resource identification" for reason 1 above and abstract gathering skill by enhancing another aspect of gathering (e.g. yield) instead.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It's an RPG. Which means we should be able to build characters that are better at spotting resources than the player is. Different characters for the same player should be better at spotting different resources based on how each character is built.

Just as, in an RPG, I should be able to build a character with attributes that make the character better at dodging than my physical twitch skills.
    Same for finding secret doors. Same for Stealth.

In Valheim, I don't mind not having sparkles or mini-map indicators for resources - especially food. The resources are reasonably distinctive, although it can sometimes be problematic if the resources I'm seeking have been depleted and haven't respawned yet. I typically don't mind spending tons of extra time searching for what I need because it's a PvE game and I don't have to worry about being hunted by Human players while all I want to do is harvest. Also, Valheim is not an RPG, so I'm not necessarily expecting the character to be better than my player skills.

In WoW, I like seeing resources on the mini-map - based on my profession. I prefer that to sparkles every character to can see. Again, this should be similar to Rogues being able to detect traps or secret doors.
    I would hope that it's the Blacksmith/Miner in the Party noticing an iron vein, rather than non-Blacksmiths/Miners also seeing the iron veins sparkle.

I dunno that resources have to sparkle in Ashes.
    Probably, it's just the easiest way to demo gathering, this early in development.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, not all wood is good for use as a building material, so maybe you're just finding out the ones that are.

Sure, but that determination should be player choice I think. I'd be fine with some trees just giving crappy yields instead. Preferably with some visual cues though, not just random luck. It would just really, really annoy me to stand in the middle of a forest, surrounded by trees, and not be able to chop even one of them down, because someone else was just there and chopped down the few choppable ones.
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Some of these Immersion guys would chop down a cactus and build a painful house out of that just to feel the sweet sweet feelings of immersion.

I'd love to have the option at least! :D
  • daveywavey wrote: »

I defy anyone to find a thread that I've been a part of that didn't go off on a tangent! >:)

Nahhhhh we're very dedicated to our discussions on this forum and will never be driven off course by the trivial scuffles between pies & cakes.

You need to at least ask something on the scale of "whether it's a good idea to have pineapples on pizzas".
    I would question what makes "gatherable resource identification" an exception, that it should remain a purely player-skill?

Well, not necessarily an exception but here are 2 reasons:
    1. Your dps, crit chance and hit chance don't fundamentally change your gameplay loop in combat while having sparkles or things showing up on your minimap/compass when there was no such indicators before does change the gathering gameplay loop. Now if you enjoyed the initial gameplay loop it would not be good for it change (while admittedly if you didn't, you may welcome the change).
    2. You don't need to increase damage, attack speed, crit chance, hit chance, weapon range and every other way of showing character's growth in combat every time you level up. You can pick a few and let the rest be dependent on gear, or buffs or other sources. Similarly, you don't need to increase gathering yield, detection range, detection ease etc and can pick one or two. You can simply choose to omit "gatherable resource identification" for reason 1 above and abstract gathering skill by enhancing another aspect of gathering (e.g. yield) instead.

Actually that could~ be an option.
    Let the player decide how they want to specialize as they progress down the path of gathering artisan:
    a. Bonus to resource identification / detection? (i.e. sparkles, minimap tracking etc.) OR
    b. Bonus to gathering yield?

Might take the devs some effort to balance things though.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Cake or death is the correct phrase!
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=rZVjKlBCvhg
  • Actually that could~ be an option.
    Let the player decide how they want to specialize as they progress down the path of gathering artisan:
    a. Bonus to resource identification / detection? (i.e. sparkles, minimap tracking etc.) OR
    b. Bonus to gathering yield?

I'd be ok with that if it was an explicitly, mutually exclusive choice. My understanding of the artisan trees is that you will have enough points to master 1 tree (gathering,processing,crafting) but not all, but we have not been told of any restrictions in specialization or mutual exclusivity within trees.
  • rayleghraylegh Member
    I find no sense to the sparkles in AoC. I mean if you don't like gathering then don't do it and do other things. It can't be a must for your progress.

But if you want to be a gatherer then should be entertaining. I think the game essence itself is aiming for that kind of experience so I wouldn't understand if they go with sparkles.
  • JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As someone who mains gathering/crafting in other games I like the idea of being able to turn it on with a skill. I wouldn't want every piece of gatherable to have a sparkle just sitting there, but I have pretty poor eyesight so I can miss things a lot easier than most.
    I played one game where you had a skill to "scan" the area and it'd tell you an approximate distance from your current point to the nearest gatherable. Now I don't think this would work well with Ashes, but perhaps something like pre-discovered gatherables in a certain radius will have the sparkle for a certain amount of time.

I'd honestly prefer no sparkles, but I know I can get frustrated with myself sometimes when I can't see what should be obvious.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    raylegh wrote: »
    I think the game essence itself is aiming for that kind of experience so I wouldn't understand if they go with sparkles.
    Well, they were going with sparkles last year.
    We'll have to see if that was just a place holder.