The extent of world PvP

I have a couple of questions regarding world PvP and guilds/communities. If for example I wanted to create a guild of mercenaries that could be hired to say, storm a castle, assassinate one player or a specific group of players, aid in construction of property, destroy property, or serve as guides through more difficult content... What is the extent that our guild or group might be able to carry out these functions? Let's say a mayor or businessman of a particular town has irritated a rather wealthy player or group of players... What is the extent that one could create a bounty and give said bounty to my guild/group to complete? Is there perhaps some quest-like contract that could be made that claims once a certain action is considered complete, rewards are distributed much like the targeted hunt that occurs in battle royale games like Warzone? Perhaps this could also work the other way around as well - if a player desires protection, these contracts could also have requirements that the "quest-giver" survives whatever ordeal he or she hopes to complete.

Also, as far as guilds and communities are concerned, is there a way to make a guild/group attack-on-sight? For example, can the mayor of a town or city deem a specific group of players hostile? And if so, are there NPC guards and regular townsfolk that will raise alarm should one or more of said players trespass?

Comments

• tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes, Mayors can brand players KoS for their citizens.

There is a formal Thieves Guild which can set up an office in good sized nodes. To advance in this guild, one must do quests, which might be similar to what you propose.

Caravans to and from cities often will need hired players to protect (or attack) along the route.

You certainly could be hired to attack or defend a castle or a node during sieges.

I know that I have not directly answered many of your questions, but much of what your group might offer would fall under role playing/agreements with players. Can you trust the person who hired you to actually pay? Is there honor among thieves?
  • MercionMercion Member
    Ah, so in that sense, our group would have to have considerable power to provoke fear of retaliation should a contract go unpaid.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Not necessarily fear, just reach.

If a group doesn't pay you, all you need to do is make sure other mercenary groups know of this, and then they are likely to not take on work from that group.

Servers are going to be small enough to make reputation matter.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I almost typed that, but I knew you already figured it out. ;)
  • MercionMercion Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    Just how small will the servers be? I thought I read that they were massive.
    Mercion wrote: »
    Noaani wrote: »
    Just how small will the servers be? I thought I read that they were massive.

10,000 concurrent players.

While that is a lot, it isnt big enough that you can ignore your reputation.
  • MercionMercion Member
    Nevermind! I don't know how accurate it is right now, but the wiki states this:

"Around 8-10k concurrent users per server is projected. Initially there will be a limited number of registered accounts (approximately 15,000) per server to help mitigate login queues. This limit will increase over time to around 50,000 registered accounts per server."
    Mercion wrote: »
    Nevermind! I don't know how accurate it is right now, but the wiki states this:

"Around 8-10k concurrent users per server is projected. Initially there will be a limited number of registered accounts (approximately 15,000) per server to help mitigate login queues. This limit will increase over time to around 50,000 registered accounts per server."

Yes, this is the current info.

So, you can have 10,00 players logged in to the server at any one time.

Intrepid are planning on limiting initial players on a server to 15,000 (total, not at the same time, it will still be limited ton10,000 at a time).

It is expected that each server will eventually be home to 50,000 players,but the 10,000 player limit at a time will remain.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Even it if was 50k player on a server at once. You would still mostly be dealing with those people in your region. There are billions of people in the world, yet when I visit my home town I always run into random people I knew growing up. You will get to know people in regions. Just because you don't know a lot about the guilds on the other side of the world does not mean your reputation will not be important in your area. You might be seeing the same few hundred people everyday. Reputation will mater. This is not going to be like WOW where you do all of the quests in Dark Shire and never go back to it again. You might live in Dark Shire for years and only venture out of it to do things in Red Ridge or Stranglethorn from time to time. Traveling to the Wetlands would seem doable, but you would want a reason to spend time traveling there.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.