A Color Standard for Abilities

Hi Everyone,

Given that the visuals of AOC is heavily color saturated and many of the character abilities are "flashy" with tons of particle effects, it would be great if we can agree on a standard for categories of abilities to match with certain colors. This will make it easier for players to identify ability casts in crowded situations and make it easier for new players to be introduced to the combat triangle philosophy and mechanics.

An example of a color standard we can adopt is as follows:

Red: Damage Focused (fire balls, lava, fire arrows, blood)
Blue: Crowd Control Focused (ice to freeze, water for knockback, blue slime to slow)
Yellow: Healing Focused (light auras, beams)

Purple: HP Drain Focused (beams, whips, target turning purple)
Orange: Defense Focused (barrier, walls, could also be brownish tinted for earthy effect)
Green: Poison Focused (gas/smoke, green slime)

Black: Stealth/Displacement Focused (shadows, dashes, teleports)
White: Buff Focused (mainly reserved for potions or bard skills that increase many stats at once, as all colors combine to make white)

And of course, not all abilities are one dimensional and must cater to one category. Maybe some abilities don't fall under any category. We can definitely offer exceptions to those.

Happy to know your thoughts on this topic

Thanks,
Wala

Comments

• ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Doing this specifically would hurt the game artistically. Most of the spells you see in large group events would be red, with maybe some blue and yellow mixed in there. Maybe good for clarity, definitely not good for aesthetic.

I like the general idea though. If spell effects carry certain themes depending on what they do, you can respond appropriately without needing to know exactly what it is beforehand. It seems like they've done a good job at this already, from the combat we've seen so far.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    walalaboom wrote: »
    Blue: Crowd Control Focused (ice to freeze, water for knockback, blue slime to slow)
    So, would this mean that ice spells specifically to damage wont be in the game, or would the game have to have red ice?
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I expect there will be color codes - especially for schools of augments.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't really care for things like this because it puts hard limits on what colors artists can use for what things. Art imitates life, and life is much more interesting than heat is red for example. I have traveled the world and one of my favorite things about the ocean is that it seems to be able to be nearly any color depending on the location, time of day, and time of year. I think the only expectations we should have of the artists is that when they are trying to communicate to us that something is on fire. It looks like fire no matter what the color is.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I don't really care for things like this because it puts hard limits on what colors artists can use for what things. Art imitates life, and life is much more interesting than heat is red for example. I have traveled the world and one of my favorite things about the ocean is that it seems to be able to be nearly any color depending on the location, time of day, and time of year. I think the only expectations we should have of the artists is that when they are trying to communicate to us that something is on fire. It looks like fire no matter what the color is.

Reminds me of the blue volcano in Indonesia:

blue-volcano.jpg
    ^ image is not hue saturated

I do like it when class abilities are thematic, but I think AoC is aiming for a realism art style, so that could clash.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • UI/effects need to be worked on. Steven and Jeff have said this is a W.I.P and so far they haven't touched these htings much - understandably so, they are more of a "detail/refining touches" thing that can come later.
    It only needs clean up and definition, with effects added that are probably not in the game right now.
    If you take a look at yesterday's dev update, in the video of the raid, the dragon does a "wave" that you need to jump, and it looks like a circle expanding on the floor. Doesn't look like a "wave of air". I assume (and expect?) this will be touched on at a later stage in development to make things look better. Right now is not the focus, and it's ok.
    Q7a6dqA.png
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Noaani wrote: »
    walalaboom wrote: »
    So, would this mean that ice spells specifically to damage wont be in the game, or would the game have to have red ice?

Ok......don't tell me you wouldn't like to see some red ice....cause that sounds pretty legit! Blood ice maybe?

@walalaboom I personally don't like the idea of color coordinating abilities. I'm for artistic freedom I guess? I want to see what their best possible work will deliver. Whoever did some of those cleric abilities though....limit that artist for sure haha.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    maouw wrote: »

blue-volcano.jpg

I do like it when class abilities are thematic, but I think AoC is aiming for a realism art style, so that could clash.

That is stunning
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Nagash wrote: »

blue-volcano.jpg

That is stunning

It's burning sulphur though, so you'd want a gas mask, hahaha

There's always a catch, sadly.
  • edited May 2021
    Interesting idea.

I vote no.
    I would prefer the abilities to look the way they are intended to be versus colour coordinating things based on type of ability effect. Adds more mystery. Feels like there would be a lot of colour coordinating especially if the abilities have multiple effects.
    In regards to augments changing/adding to abilities aesthetics.. that may be a different story ;)
  • DreohDreoh Member
    Keep in mind these are first pass particles

If you watch the recent dragon fight videos you can see the poison ball explosions have the purple sparks coming out of them.

As someone who's created many particle effects I can safely say that those sparks are just placeholder, since sparks like that are the baseline default particle effect.

You see those sparks in like ever current ability. I fully expect all particle effects to be touched up heavily as we near release and things will end up looking a lot less "flashy" and more immersive and more readable.

blue-volcano.jpg

That is stunning

It reminds me of the underrelm
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Khronus wrote: »
    Ok......don't tell me you wouldn't like to see some red ice....cause that sounds pretty legit! Blood ice maybe?
    tenor.gif?itemid=20428380

Tacualeon wrote: »
    Khronus wrote: »
    tenor.gif?itemid=20428380

Thats pretty cold to be honest
    nJ0vUSm.gif

blue-volcano.jpg

That is stunning

It reminds me of the underrelm

^ AHAHAHA. clever.

That blood ice is gross though :s
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    We're in a high fantasy setting in which magic can be taught.
    Each Secondary Archetype has 3 or 4 schools, which means we can expect that the people in lore who crafted the visual effects associated with those schools will include some color-coding.

If we see blue flames, like a blue fire-ball, it's very likely to be associated with some specific school or influence that is different from a reddish/orange fireball. Same for if we see a brown or green fireball.