Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Cooking and your Tavern

adeluna13adeluna13 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
One of the things that have interested me as a player is the Tavern system if everything goes the way I want I would eventually like our guild to own one. I checked out the Wiki and have tried looking for some answers but do you think that having a cooking skill will in any way benefit your tavern? I know it is a place where people will be able to buy meals but are they meals made by players? and with a higher skill will your tavern get some kinda boost?? is this something people would want?

Comments

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Makes sense to me that tavern owners invest in hospitality artisanship.

No idea what that will look like though. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a dev discussion on Taverns at some point.
    Also, I don't think the game officially needs to recognize your guild as the owner of a Tavern. If the Tavern owner decorates his/her tavern around their guild, and the guild frequents the Tavern, that's pretty much a guild's Tavern, right?

Were you thinking about any specific features that this couldn't do?
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    I HOPE so. Owning my little shop is one of the things I want the most for chill and RP purposes. I'm not a heavy RPer, but I'm not a hardcore player playing raids and dungs for 10 hours everyday either. I like the idea of going to "a place" with regular people and meeting people, making friends (maybe enemies? Frenemies!?).
    I hope the tavern system works as player-served/attended. Meaning the tavern is closed if you don't open, and players (owner or workers you hire) can be the ones to serve/give the meals/drinks. I also hope wood work (tables, furnitures) and cooking and alchemy/herbalism play into this heavily.
    I think the system doesn't need to be so complex, the depth of it is given by the "importance" of the jobs - for example, what case besides RPing would be going to a player owned tavern to buy level 1 steak for +2 strength/constitution (making up numbers and stats here, since i don't know) every time? The cool stuff comes when you go to a player owned tavern bc this guy can cook the best steak, and it's high quality giving you +5 for 2 hours instead. Something like that. Not just the social aspect. Mixing both is the best outcome imo, and it gives people the ability to create "content" from it, which further expands the depth of the systems, has variety of situations, it's more fun, etc.
    Q7a6dqA.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I agree with Latis, an I think it is going to be in the game.

You, the Tavern owner, can learn to cook different things which provide benefits to the customers who eat and drink them. It looks like the benefits might be effective in the area of the tavern only, but as the tavern levels up (cool idea that) the radius of the benefits expands.

As the freeholds in the area level up and provide higher quality fish, fruits and vegetables then the meals at the tavern could become more powerful, perhaps by new recipes being learned that require the higher level ingredients which the tavern owner can only use as she levels up. If a hunter kills a grand elk and brings the meat to the tavern, that might provide a grand meal only in the winter which greatly buffs archers....but I am speculating here.

Also, remember that taverns will (in military nodes) have maps bounty hunters can use to find corrupted players. They will have NPCs which will tell stories of dungeons and points of interest, though they may also tell false stories to lure players to their deaths. I remember one example was NPCs telling of an easily plundered gold mine or dungeon which was actually an ambush manned by thieves. Taverns may also provide a place for players to post messages ("Meet here at 3pm saturday to do the Gracchus quest" or "I am selling turtle baby mounts that can both fly and swim, contact MrPipps in Rivendale"), news of upcoming sieges, quests offered by nodes ("Paying 250g for guards for Wed. morning caravan Bubbletown -> Fartsville") or messages from Mayors ("Bricktop if you PK one more of my toons I'll outlaw you!")
  • Options
    adeluna13adeluna13 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I HOPE so. Owning my little shop is one of the things I want the most for chill and RP purposes. I'm not a heavy RPer, but I'm not a hardcore player playing raids and dungs for 10 hours everyday either. I like the idea of going to "a place" with regular people and meeting people, making friends (maybe enemies? Frenemies!?).
    I hope the tavern system works as player-served/attended. Meaning the tavern is closed if you don't open, and players (owner or workers you hire) can be the ones to serve/give the meals/drinks. I also hope wood work (tables, furnitures) and cooking and alchemy/herbalism play into this heavily.
    I think the system doesn't need to be so complex, the depth of it is given by the "importance" of the jobs - for example, what case besides RPing would be going to a player owned tavern to buy level 1 steak for +2 strength/constitution (making up numbers and stats here, since i don't know) every time? The cool stuff comes when you go to a player owned tavern bc this guy can cook the best steak, and it's high quality giving you +5 for 2 hours instead. Something like that. Not just the social aspect. Mixing both is the best outcome imo, and it gives people the ability to create "content" from it, which further expands the depth of the systems, has variety of situations, it's more fun, etc.

I like your idea about being able to open and close your own store. i think i did read that there will be merchant NPCs that will come but i don't know if you have to hire them or they just come. but i also agree that if there is a way to lvl up your tavern by cooking then it would give you an advantage over a tavern that may not know how to cook as well. these are some great ideas
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    "The longer a tavern has been in business and the more patrons it has served, the faster it will level up."

(From the wiki)
  • Options
    Hope there are no yelp reviews :P
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I think word-of-mouth reputation would work better in AoC - because the population on any server will be limited to 10,000.
    It also gives a bard an opportunity to be a "food critic" - touring taverns and then publishing a book in the library, rating his experiences.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    maouw wrote: »

I think word-of-mouth reputation would work better in AoC - because the population on any server will be limited to 10,000.
    It also gives a bard an opportunity to be a "food critic" - touring taverns and then publishing a book in the library, rating his experiences.

hopefully they put a town crier in for higher level nodes to advertise local tavern, other buildings and whatever type of declaration like sieges and wars.