Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I really don't like how players turn into ash when they die

edited May 2021 in General Discussion
I just want to say I saw one of Ashes of Creation streams a couple months ago and there's one part that really bugged me. I really hate how players turn to ash when they die. I honestly think that is going to make a very boring and empty battlefield during encounters. I really hate disappearing corpses in games, obviously they need to disappear at some point but WoW does it really great, your corpse turns into a skeleton after resurrecting which I think is super sick. I feel like ashes would be better off just leaving corpses or bones instead of ash for a more gruesome and epic aftermath.

I really like to see the aftermath of a battle, it's almost as fun as the battle itself for me and seeing the carnage really amazes me a lot of the time. Leaving some dust and shadows after a raid wipe or a big PvP event sounds very lame to me and not at all exciting and I'd really hope that you guys would consider having actual corpses instead of fading to ash, thank you for reading my post.

Edit: To compromise with the people disagreeing, just keep the current animation because I doubt the devs will remove it. Instead of fading to dust, have the skin, meat, etc burn to ash but not the skeleton. This way we can have a very satisfying aftermath of a battle or raid wipe and it will also make the animation look even better.

Comments

• Options
    JaveonJaveon Member
    edited May 2021
    Why not both..

Ash and bones🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    Looking at the battlefield and seeing bodies everywhere is almost as fun as playing the game in a pvp battle? The ashes are very fitting because the title of the game. It clears the battlefield which I personally like a lot.

How will the battlefield be boring with piles of ashes vs piles of bones? If it makes you feel any better, try imagining those ARE bones....just burnt. Burnt badly. That turned into....ashes.

If you don't like things disappearing, you're going to hate my rogues.
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »
    Looking at the battlefield and seeing bodies everywhere is almost as fun as playing the game in a pvp battle? The ashes are very fitting because the title of the game. It clears the battlefield which I personally like a lot.

How will the battlefield be boring with piles of ashes vs piles of bones? If it makes you feel any better, try imagining those ARE bones....just burnt. Burnt badly. That turned into....ashes.

If you don't like things disappearing, you're going to hate my rogues.

You seem puzzled by this. It wont let me add an image but scenes like this http://prntscr.com/12e78lk or on a very extreme scale something like this http://prntscr.com/12e7bgs is very cool to me. Each kill and or death contributing to the carnage is something I find fun, almost like making my mark on the battle. And before anyone says "just play wow" this is literally the only thing I'm asking to put into this game from WoW.
  • Options
    I'm not puzzled, it's just a really silly thing to complain about. I haven't played WOW in a minute but looking at that picture you linked just reminded me of how trash the battlefields looked like after a while. I understand you may like it but I did not. In fact, I played so much of that game that eventually I just didn't notice the skeletons on the ground anymore at all. Years and years of diablo 1-3, warcraft 1-3, wow for 7 years....skeletons everywhere. Cartoon skeletons made your experience better and that is great. You didn't even know you would like it until you started seeing the bodies pile up. Get into a fight in ashes and watch the enemy burn in front of your eyes into a pile of ash and then loot their corpse for goods. You're still going to enjoy it.

And no, I don't wish for you to play wow. It's absolute junk. We want you here in the AoC community where you belong.
  • Options
    I think it's a great addition to the game and this sparked an idea for me. If an area has had a lot of recent deaths it should start to build up with ash in the atmosphere giving off a hellish fog of war vibe while doubling as a "signal smoke" that other players can see from a distance.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    I'm not puzzled, it's just a really silly thing to complain about. I haven't played WOW in a minute but looking at that picture you linked just reminded me of how trash the battlefields looked like after a while. I understand you may like it but I did not. In fact, I played so much of that game that eventually I just didn't notice the skeletons on the ground anymore at all. Years and years of diablo 1-3, warcraft 1-3, wow for 7 years....skeletons everywhere. Cartoon skeletons made your experience better and that is great. You didn't even know you would like it until you started seeing the bodies pile up. Get into a fight in ashes and watch the enemy burn in front of your eyes into a pile of ash and then loot their corpse for goods. You're still going to enjoy it.

And no, I don't wish for you to play wow. It's absolute junk. We want you here in the AoC community where you belong.

Although I like the skeletons I'm not saying that's what it has to be exactly. I'm just petitioning for corpses, skeletons, or just some type of gore-ish aftermath. I mean hell, if their skin burns to ash but leaves a skeleton that would be cool lol. If no one cares then at least I tried, I just hate empty battlefields as if nothing ever happened.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Talking about ashes, bones and death and no one invites me.

Shame on you all
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »

Shame on you all

I guess we all really BONED you...
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options

Shame on you all

This is quite.....humerus.

@Rejected Galaxy I believe a battle field full of burned piles of ash can have the same grotesque effect you are seeking.
  • Options

Shame on you all

I guess they should of Ashed you necromancers beforehand?

Oh yeah, where do all your corpses come from if we all turn to ash? Tulnar?
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    I personally really like the idea of players turning to ash.

Not only does it make the game unique in that aspect, but it also fits an interesting lore.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Obligatory:
    giphy.gif
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Probably wont be any gore or blood considering the rating they are aiming for. I personally do not believe ash and bones count as gore but it does goes with the lore and phoenix logo.

Could be cool to see the ash and embers disperse during battle from the fallen which leaves some remains behind temporarily. Maybe your characters soul burns its former shell during resurrection/revival.

Perhaps not having it burn up right away could give the necromancers an opportunity to reanimate the corpse temporarily before combustion as a more flesh covered summon versus skeletal.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It is going to be really cool when you kill someone with a big ice attack and they turn into flaming ashes.
    That shit is going to be chill AF.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    It is going to be really cool when you kill someone with a big ice attack and they turn into flaming ashes.

Interesting.
    So the body is not going to hit the ground first before turning to ash? Your wording makes it sound like how vampires die in many movies/shows where they turn to ash relatively quickly upon death
  • Options
    MikasaMikasa Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wonder if its possible to reverse the animation and use it when you resurrect/reborn like a phoenix, and use something else to leave the bodies on the battlefield?
  • Options
    Mikasa wrote: »
    I wonder if its possible to reverse the animation and use it when you resurrect/reborn like a phoenix, and use something else to leave the bodies on the battlefield?

You know....this is a pretty great idea. It would be cool to see a revive spell reverse the effect or leave some of the ashes on the ground and "create" you from those ashes.

@Vhaeyne I didn't think about that one haha. Maybe they can create a bunch of different death animations based on how you died but ultimately as your life force leaves your body, you turn to ash. It's a very fitting way to go and any animation they create will definitely be used a lot as there will be much murder.

It would be unique to see a pile of ash turn into an ashen "skeleton". No need for bones if we burn in death. What do you think @Nagash ?
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like it for it's originality more then anything. I think the animation is great.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    LloydLloyd Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    At first I thought this was silly and stupid to complain about, but after I read your description, it made me really want to see a battlefield of corpses, then maybe after a player respawns it turns to ash.
    cevs5u9i2f1s.png
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    Current Member of the Gray Sentinels.
  • Options
    Lloyd wrote: »
    At first I thought this was silly and stupid to complain about, but after I read your description, it made me really want to see a battlefield of corpses, then maybe after a player respawns it turns to ash.

The ash is the corpse. It will still be littered with what is clearly dead players.
  • Options
    SaeduSaedu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Interesting.
    So the body is not going to hit the ground first before turning to ash? Your wording makes it sound like how vampires die in many movies/shows where they turn to ash relatively quickly upon death

So.... were all vampires in this game. Hmmm...
  • Options
    LloydLloyd Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

The ash is the corpse. It will still be littered with what is clearly dead players.

I'm aware of that, but its not the same feeling.
    cevs5u9i2f1s.png
    _____________________________________________________________________________________
    Current Member of the Gray Sentinels.
  • Options

Interesting.

Yeah, as you're falling to your death your body quickly evaporates into ash. If this was just the animation to clear bodies that have been around for awhile I wouldn't be complaining but it's an instant thing, I don't really like that.
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I wouldn't be too concerned about artistic choices this early in development
  • Options
    edited May 2021

I'm aware of that, but its not the same feeling.

You are experiencing a feeling prior to the launch of the game and actually experiencing that feeling. Time travel is one hell of a drug.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I would rather the animation play on a dead body on the ground, when the player hits the respawn button.
    With the current animation, skeletons zombies, cemetarys should not exist. Everything becomes ash.

But I think Steven is very into it so I don't think there will be a change.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So perhaps necro/dark crafters who are making a piece of jewelry or armor that increases the damage of their undead summon would need, as an ingredient, ashes of the dead. The directions for crafting might include the sentence 'Add the ashes of three cleric/cleric dead killed in combat.....'

Or, when crafting an Orb of Holiness for clerics, 'Add the ashes of three necromancer mages....'

Both of these would mean that hunting players would be a part of the crafting process...ashes of corrupted players for a BH quest, ashes of Bounty Hunters for the quest to reduce your PK count....
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    I would rather the animation play on a dead body on the ground, when the player hits the respawn button.
    With the current animation, skeletons zombies, cemetarys should not exist. Everything becomes ash.

But I think Steven is very into it so I don't think there will be a change.

Well considering that the world was left for dead for millenia, and only now are races coming back to it, there won't be any cemeteries already in place. I am unsure if it is a matter of us heroes being blessed and therefore turning to ash, or even NPCs? After all we don't die and actually come back to life, so it makes sense that we don't have cemeteries.

Perhaps the Tulnar, who didn't leave and seemingly aren't blessed by the same god of creation, won't turn to ash and instead leave a corpse.

Also, with magic being magic, I would't dispute a necromancer recomposing a human from its ashes. Could even make it so zombies have an ashy appearance, and maybe their skin crackles and breaks off like ash from a cigarette as they get hit. Would also help explain why a zombie pet would vanish upon death. Instead of decomposing it crumbles to a pile of ash again.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I mean, the game is Ashes of Creation, not Bones of Creation.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 2021
    So why do we have necromancers for? To summon dusty ghosts? Nah