Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Idea for World boss

Hi everyone! So after the last stream (writing this on 2/05/2021), now that we've seen world bosses, i had an idea of a boss.

I thought it would be super cool to have thematic world boss in the desert, and i thought about a giant scorpion, there in the dunes, it would be awesome, this one could be static, or we could do another one that goes around wandering, but the wanderer one could have like a little crew at his back managing him, (similar to the big elephants in LOTR), idk i came with this idea and i thought it would be cool sharing it, have a nice day! :smile:

Comments

• Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really like seeing all of the communities ideas for stuff like this. I hope they read these ideas and pass it on to the creative design team to get some of it implemented : ).

As for your idea, I love it. A giant scorpion type boss would be really cool. If I could add to this, the desert land will be quite large. What if there were a dozen sunken dune areas spread around the desert and the boss is at one of them. Every "X" amount of time, this boss would burrow and reappear in a different dune at random. I think randomness of location in some of these boss fights will work really well with the world pvp aspect of AoC.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Khronus wrote: »
    I really like seeing all of the communities ideas for stuff like this. I hope they read these ideas and pass it on to the creative design team to get some of it implemented : ).

As for your idea, I love it. A giant scorpion type boss would be really cool. If I could add to this, the desert land will be quite large. What if there were a dozen sunken dune areas spread around the desert and the boss is at one of them. Every "X" amount of time, this boss would burrow and reappear in a different dune at random. I think randomness of location in some of these boss fights will work really well with the world pvp aspect of AoC.

To go off what you mentioned,

At the locations where the scorpion burrows and resurfaces, it could be similar to quicksand traps slowing movement and/or slowly pulling players towards it pulling them in range for various attack mechanics for the boss fight. There could be multiple spots as it continues with this mechanic. Depending on size and any other magical effects, it could cause some very interesting CC issues the raid would have to traverse through and around.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Khronus wrote: »

To go off what you mentioned,

At the locations where the scorpion burrows and resurfaces, it could be similar to quicksand traps slowing movement and/or slowly pulling players towards it pulling them in range for various attack mechanics for the boss fight. There could be multiple spots as it continues with this mechanic. Depending on size and any other magical effects, it could cause some very interesting CC issues the raid would have to traverse through and around.

This reminds me of some old rpg battles on the SNES and I love it. Pulling us towards the center or even causing us to sink in quick sand and take damage forcing healers to focus those stuck in sand would be fun. The quick sand spots could be boss adds that need to be killed in order to release those players forcing dps to redirect their focus.

Instead of being a dozens spots spread out far away, there could be 3-4 spots that are much closer together. As the boss takes "X" damage, he burrows and retreats to another one of the spots to try and regenerate. At this point, the raid will be at spot "A" while he retreats to spot "C" and adds will spawn on the raid. Burn them down and quick get to "C". Just some thoughts haha
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    Something like this. Hidden in the desert waiting for the unsuspecting players to walk into their own graves if not paying attention.
    A lot of people clicked the skull in the early days not realizing it was a World Boss. When people asked about it in world chat they were most often told it was a collectible and to go ahead and grab it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpxEr4b1kFE

I like the Scorpion idea.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    1st phase: he's mostly underground and burrows around with his stinger pointing out of the sand
    2nd phase: he gets angry and unburrows to grab and sting you
    3rd phase: he retreats deep underground, opening a cavern that you explore to reach his lair
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    halbarzhalbarz Member
    Hi all :)

I always thought that a Gaint Worm boss would be interesting.
    Phase One: The Worm comes out of the ground randomly throwing players in the air, Acid is spread in the area around the hole. (large spread) Players can only damage the boss when it appears. ( this could favor ranged classes)

Phase Two: The Worm Appears (whole-body) Smashing the ground, rocks fly around hitting players and areas outside X range. This forces players into a more compact area. A sandstorm erupts reducing ranged damage by 30%. In the small area, smaller pockets of Acid are dropped while the Worm tries to eat the players.

Phase Three: The Worm goes back underground, towards a "nest" Players have to follow the worm, the tunnel does collapse to block off the last Nest/Boss Area. Smaller worms will spawn randomly spitting acid, smaller shock attacks by smashing the ground, etc. The boss can in this period also eat the smaller Worms to heal itself.

The Main Boss will release more acid (cloud-based) players have to move around the Nest to areas that are not covered by the Acid and damage the boss.

Final: The boss is defeated, a tunnel is revealed that takes players up again.

Apologies for my English, tried my best to explain it :)