Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

FOMO?

AzarixAzarix Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited May 2021 in General Discussion
Did you pre-order to support AOC or was it the fear of missing out that brought you to the shop? I personally have been following AOC for a while, like most of you, but just recently was I able to support this massive project! I feel like I'm way too late but better late than never, I guess. :)

Also, Alpha/Beta and a few cosmetics are nice, too.

@ AOC Ty for not being P2W!!!!

Comments

  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    To support the game and watch it grow. If you buy a pack for any other reason you are wrong.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean I backed on kickstarter so I guess suport
    nJ0vUSm.gif

    The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I bought in, and bought cosmetics after as well to support the game and help testing, but I have always been super torn over it. I absolutely detest the way they use FOMO in the shop, intended or not.

    In the end, my desire to see the game succeed won over the hate of the FOMO tactics. Once the first step to the dark side was taken, the next steps were easier, but holy crap do I wish they'd change the way they get more money for the project. At the very least drop the 1 month exclusive thing.
  • zawpizawpi Member
    Im glad I never get sucked into Fomo, Ill consider buying the Beta package after watching a lot of the alpha footage. (You get plenty of game time and currency). Theres already 32 packages thats been announced so ive guess ive "Missed out "
  • TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited May 2021
    No. I never get sucked into Fomo.
    The product is not finished, the experience I want to enjoy, combat, is not finished neither.

    Maybe others have money or time to spare, and if they do, so happy for them.
    I'm not paying for an unfinished experience, and I'm most certainly not paying to be allowed to work as a tester, dedicate time of my life to an unfinished product and provide thoughtful feeback.

    I could dedicate money, time and brain power to other stuff.

    I have been following Ashes for 3-4 years now, I'll wait until combat is polished. I'm in no rush.

    If I was making a game, I would give tester free passes and a skin in gratitude for their time and thought.
    I wouldn't charge them for testing my product.
    Thank you for playing my game and contributing in making it better.
    But what do I know, I'm just a random dude from the internet.
  • AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    Just to support the game, FOMO doesn't affect me, never has really.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have no fear of missing out but I do have a few of pulling the trigger too quickly. Bought lots of costumes until I learnt they are onesies and bought a package without realising they change every month. The lessons I have learnt makes me realises how naïve I was at first.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Tacualeon wrote: »
    No. I never get sucked into Fomo.
    The product is not finished, the experience I want to enjoy, combat, is not finished neither.

    Maybe others have money or time to spare, and if they do, so happy for them.
    I'm not paying for an unfinished experience, and I'm most certainly not paying to be allowed to work as a tester, dedicate time of my life to an unfinished product and provide thoughtful feeback.

    I could dedicate money, time and brain power to other stuff.

    I'm have been following Ashes for 3-4 years now, I'll wait until combat is polished. I'm in no rush.

    If I was making a game, I would give tester free passes and a skin in gratitude for their time and thought.
    I wouldn't charge them for testing my product.
    Thank you for playing my game and contributing in making it better.
    But what do I know, I'm just a random dude from the internet.

    I have to agree here. I am really looking forward to playing the game but the amount of money they are asking for to alpha/beta test is way too high in my opinion. I would love to have the opportunity to test, but I do not want to spend hundreds of dollars just to do it. I remember when Sea of Thieves was coming out, they had picked members of the community at random to alpha/beta test. I loved that, wish the same could happen here too.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Fomo doesn't bother me, because it's literally everywhere and your brain learns to filter out the junk.
    I like it, I buy it. Extra plus if it's a limited time exclusive. I draw the line at P2W - when cash shop items start giving functional advantages (it always starts with "convenience" items).

    Otherwise Vhaeyne pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Fear of missing out is honestly a much larger problem with younger people.

    From what I've seen of the people on this forums, the average age seems to be around mid to late 20s with a sizeable contingent of over 30s.

    Also, the few people I have seen actively complain about FOMO, was actually more about wanting it all because they wanted it all (literally no other reason - save one who though X item would complete his character's RP).

    Personally I wanted to get in the alpha, but I'm not paying 500 credits to test a game for a game developer. I would have perhaps made an exception, if I actually really liked the cosmetics offered with it.

    I am of the mind of getting what package I will absolutely enjoy enough to warrant whatever the price for a beta access will be.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • IronhammerIronhammer Member
    edited May 2021
    Some of you saying you didn't give into fomo, did in fact give into fomo. Def a rabid dog response to critique of what's clearly going on as well which is even scarier, passion is robbing this community of its sense. And at this point people have invested so much into the game they are going to feel emotionally obligated to defend and protect it making reasonable discourse about the pay to skip cosmetics and fomo fever impossible
  • I don't understand the fear of missing out. Missing out on what? It's not like bitcoin that I'm gonna become millionaire.
    It's just cosmetics, and maybe name selection. I mean, unless you really want a name, what's the point? I don't pre order games anymore. I wait, see what the game is like and if I like what I see I buy.
    But well, I'm in the minority, if it were for me most businesses would be close because I rarely spend money on unnecessary things like a new phone, or an overpriced coffee.
  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Ironhammer wrote: »
    Some of you saying you didn't give into fomo, did in fact give into fomo. Def a rabid dog response to critique of what's clearly going on as well which is even scarier, passion is robbing this community of its sense. And at this point people have invested so much into the game they are going to feel emotionally obligated to defend and protect it making reasonable discourse about the pay to skip cosmetics and fomo fever impossible

    Genuine question, what's you basis for that opening statement?

    I would wager that, there is a difference in buying a product because you wish to support a project, or enjoy a particular monthly cosmetic, and feeling you need to buy it.

    I have a feeling you're making a reference to that argument others have made on different threads about how making a cosmetic, a limited time offer, makes it inherently predatory as it plays on people's fears of missing out.

    However I would then argue what @BlackBrony says:
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    I don't understand the fear of missing out. Missing out on what? It's not like bitcoin that I'm gonna become millionaire.
    It's just cosmetics, and maybe name selection. I mean, unless you really want a name, what's the point?

    Sig-ult-2.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean...
    I consider Ashes of Creation to be the conceptual successor to EQNext.
    It has several design features -especially constructing and defending cities- that I want MMORPG devs to be working on so that it's quicker and easier for the to design and implement in future MMORPGs.
    I'm supporting the devs regardless of whether I actually play the game.

    Also, as a content creator for a podcast that theorycrafts about MMORPGs, I want to have Alpha access.
    Being able to play subscription-free is very likely also a great deal - especially if it's a game I'm going to be playing for 10+ years.

    If we're talking about the cosmetic shop...I am fashion over function, so I'm willing to pay for cool fashion accessories for my characters - just as I did for my action figures when I as a kid. A month is typically plenty of time for me to decide to purchase something from the cosmetic shop...and if I forget, it's not really something I'm concerned about. I already have plenty of stuff - even just from the Kickstarter.

    The one item that I am miffed I missed out on is the Stufferton mount. As a carebear, that is a must have item. That came into the shop when my brother died unexpectedly and I had to go out of state to clean up his house and plan two memorials in two different states. By the time I got back home and had time to check back in on Ashes of Creation, that item had come and gone.
    I'm hoping there's a way to find a version of the Stufferton in-game.
  • BlackBrony wrote: »
    I don't understand the fear of missing out. Missing out on what? It's not like bitcoin that I'm gonna become millionaire.
    It's just cosmetics, and maybe name selection. I mean, unless you really want a name, what's the point? I don't pre order games anymore. I wait, see what the game is like and if I like what I see I buy.
    But well, I'm in the minority, if it were for me most businesses would be close because I rarely spend money on unnecessary things like a new phone, or an overpriced coffee.

    This community is insanely passionate about cosmetics. Asgerr for example would not play the game with out them.

  • AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Ironhammer wrote: »
    BlackBrony wrote: »
    I don't understand the fear of missing out. Missing out on what? It's not like bitcoin that I'm gonna become millionaire.
    It's just cosmetics, and maybe name selection. I mean, unless you really want a name, what's the point? I don't pre order games anymore. I wait, see what the game is like and if I like what I see I buy.
    But well, I'm in the minority, if it were for me most businesses would be close because I rarely spend money on unnecessary things like a new phone, or an overpriced coffee.

    This community is insanely passionate about cosmetics. Asgerr for example would not play the game with out them.

    I would be extremely curious to know where you derive the basis for that claim.

    I have only ever bought one cosmetic and that was a FFVII one for my character in FFXIV.

    Right now, I would rather just buy the Beta keys, but they come along with a cosmetic. So might as well wait for one I enjoy.

    Otherwise I much prefer using in game earnable looks. And has been so in every game I've played.

    This personal preference however, doesn't preclude me from accepting the use of cosmetics for everyone else.

    Considering that the people on these forums will likely not all be playing on the same server, or region, or that there will be around 10.000 people playing per server, I don't quite expect the world to be filled with people in cosmetics either. And if it is, good for them, and good for Intrepid.
    Sig-ult-2.png
Sign In or Register to comment.