Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Steven's Question on Hair Customisation

AsgerrAsgerr Member
edited May 2021 in General Discussion
Steven just recently posted this on twitter.

What do you guys think?
PS: them character models tho!!!!

Screenshot-2021-05-06-225444.png

Though I like having lots of options, I think hair color presets would be greatly beneficial to racial identity ingame.
Sig-ult-2.png

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    Yes. I like to choose my hair colour separate to the hair style. I would also hope for wilder hair colours such as Fire Flow (Red with amber tinges) or plague flow (green with blue tinges), purple, green, blue, pink, orange and other glorious hues. I don't want standardised hair/colour combinations or I'll have hundreds of look a likes.

Edit: I would also hope for dynamic eye colours too, so we can match hair colours and eye colours. We've been told the character creation will rival BDOs and in BDO you can match eye colour and hair colour.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Depends on if they hide helmets or not.

I am all for full customization. And I could live with presets based on race.

LMAO, I really thought I had an opinion till I started typing...... Ignore me
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Recluse74 wrote: »
    Depends on if they hide helmets or not.

I am all for full customization. And I could live with presets based on race.

LMAO, I really thought I had an opinion till I started typing...... Ignore me

They have confirmed that you can indeed hide your helmet (and possibly any piece of armor)
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited May 2021
    Well, one of the things that I have talked with others on here in regards to character customization was the ability to create "hybrids" or RP-driven decisions for something like a green-skinned human that is rping as a half-orc or a silver haired fair-skinned orc rping as half-elven. It does not even have to be a hybrid you are rping as, maybe your dwarf has had a run-in with a vampire and now they are pale with bags under their eyes with blood red pupils(Rp details). Baldur's gate 3 stands out perfectly in this regard. You have preset hair, facial types, horns, etc. But you are given free reign on color and the extra details like tattoos, makeup, scars, skin color, eye color, and Hair color.

Letting players have the freedom to create unique characters, to a point, I feel would be best.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    NeliryaNelirya Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Oh my, character models are starting to look really good! Can't wait to see how good they will look in the end.

As to the question regarding customazation, full customization gets my vote - the more options, the better.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    GoatrekGoatrek Member
    I prefer natural hair colours (and other features) as dictated by the lore without the assumption of characters having access to dyes, makeup etc even if its more restrictive.
    I dont wanna run into clown characters. Breaks immersion and feels cheap. Example provided :# xD

unknown.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am all for maximum customization.

The lore argument makes little sense to me. There have always been people willing to go against their own culture and adopt styles form other cultures. Even ancient cultures were not always so traditional that some people would not adopt styles from other cultures. If people see someone else with a style they like, they copy it. Any fantasy setting ignoring that part of human nature is just silly to me.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Goatrek wrote: »
    I prefer natural hair colours (and other features) as dictated by the lore without the assumption of characters having access to dyes, makeup etc even if its more restrictive.
    I dont wanna run into clown characters. Breaks immersion and feels cheap. Example provided :# xD

unknown.png

That is my fear with full customization as well.

Also, seeing as we have 2 different sub-races for each race, it could be interesting to limit hair colours for each.

For instance we know that one group of humans is mostly desert dwellers. Them having mostly dark hair colours would fit the race's lore and flavor text, and help in differentiating them from the other sect of humans who perhaps might fall under lighter hair colors etc.

I however can see how such a thing could be limiting.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    neuroguyneuroguy Member
    edited May 2021
    I do like the idea of having races be recognizable. I like the possibility of character driven conflict in terms of 'racism' etc (even if it is too much RP for some). I think character creation should be limited by race but once you are in the world, you have ways of customizing away features like hair color to deviate away from your racial heritage. However this should be a conscious choice and you should have to experience a bit what it's like to be a member of your race and build an identity, even if it's one you don't like and are driven to change.

Edit: I think it's important to remember you can and will continuously customize your character, but your starting point, where you come from, your background, should be a bit more grounded and give weight to your racial heritage. I think aesthetics are a part of the decision making of what race you choose to play. If I can make my elf look like an orc, that level of freedom will render certain choices meaningless. Since there are racial quest lines I assume AoC wants you to feel the weight of the race you belong to, your initial appearance (with freedom to deviate from it in the future) sounds like a nice compromise.
    Things like the optional language in chat which serves no purpose other than RP also help with that sense of identity.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The more customization the better
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There is nothing to say what coloured hair races can or can't use. If I want to min/max I already will have to choose a race that wouldn't be my first choice. If I can't customise a race for me to better fit in with the race then few races will appeal at all. I find it rather silly that we can wield magic but we won't be able to select hair colours besides white, brown, grey and black. I'm also not a fan of clown characters, but, people make weird characters with the sliders too such as deformed faces. The character customisation is said to rival BDO so I doubt wilder hair colours will stop people making weird and wonderful facial creations irrespective of hair colour.

Some of us like to customise our characters without making goofy faces and clown faces. I feel we shouldn't block the enjoyment of the masses over a limited few.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I am all for maximum customization.

The lore argument makes little sense to me. There have always been people willing to go against their own culture and adopt styles form other cultures. Even ancient cultures were not always so traditional that some people would not adopt styles from other cultures. If people see someone else with a style they like, they copy it. Any fantasy setting ignoring that part of human nature is just silly to me.

I think it makes sense to tell us what the natural hair colors and features are, so players can build on that to explain why their character looks like it bathes with poisonous toads once a day to keep up the sickly yellow tint to their skin. This is purely from an rp stand point, and I am basically asking for both the natural hair/skin tones and the unnatural ones. As for taking from other cultures maybe they could add some sort of reputation system that unlocks those once you help that race out enough? Or just allow it, whatever they want to do but I do agree that it should be possible.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    ArksonArkson Member
    I love the BDO character creator for instance, but it does allow you to create some grotesque monstrosities that absolutely obliterate immersion, so I wouldn't mind some restrictions on some of the more 'out there' combinations.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    Absolutely we should have full customization I think. It'll be great with some lore-friendly presets as well, but honestly, considering all the crazy cosmetics we'll be getting from day one, any semblance of keeping it strictly lore-based is out the window anyway.
  • Options
    JirueJirue Member
    Really digging those hair styles! Nice work, modeling artist!

For the coloring question, I like having a wide range of colors for both a base and highlight. But it's no big deal if it's a few presets to make things easier to develop.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    High fantasy with illusions. Dyes will be there.
    And it will be expected in 5 years. It's common for kids and parents to dye their hair blue, pink, green, etc.

That being said. I don't think ALL colors should be available.
    The devs should select a pallet of colors and make those available for every race.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Baldur's Gate 3 customization was perfect.
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »

unknown.png

Also, seeing as we have 2 different sub-races for each race, it could be interesting to limit hair colours for each.

For instance we know that one group of humans is mostly desert dwellers. Them having mostly dark hair colours would fit the race's lore and flavor text, and help in differentiating them from the other sect of humans who perhaps might fall under lighter hair colors etc.

Yeah, that is pretty bad... I guess y'all have never been to Seattle.

Jokes aside, I understand the fear. The main area where I think character creation can go too far is proportions. If you have ever played ARK or Atlas you know what I mean. Players will create abominations with insane proportions for the laughs and the reduced hitbox. This is something I don't want to see.

Assuming that players can only create characters with normal proportions. It is always possible for people to mix plants and minerals to make dyes and body paints. This is what I want to see.

Anything a human could reasonably have modified about themselves in the ancient world should be up for grabs. While that technically would include the joke of a character you posted above. I would rather play in a world where some can take customization too far. Than in a world where I can't take character customization far enough.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    edited May 2021

unknown.png

Yeah, that is pretty bad... I guess y'all have never been to Seattle.

As a fan of the 90's music scene from Seattle, it's still on my bucked list to go visit it some day.

Jokes aside, I understand the fear. The main area where I think character creation can go too far is proportions. If you have ever played ARK or Atlas you know what I mean. Players will create abominations with insane proportions for the laughs and the reduced hitbox. This is something I don't want to see.

Assuming that players can only create characters with normal proportions. It is always possible for people to mix plants and minerals to make dyes and body paints. This is what I want to see.

I remember reading about AION, and how since the hitboxes actually matched the character's proportions, that you would see players that would come up only to your ankle, as it gave them a tremendous advantage in PvP and PvE

Hopefully those level of customization can't exploit something similar in Ashes
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Just give us 2 - 3 layers of hair that can be colored the way we want, just using natural colors.

If you want a solid colored head of hair, dye all layers the same color, if you don't... mix it up.

Just no bright, bright colors... I hate games where someone's hair looks like it connected to a car battery to light it up.
  • Options
    As a fan of the 90's music scene from Seattle, it's still on my bucked list to go visit it some day.

Always some weirdos hanging around the original Starbucks... Still a fun city.
    I remember reading about AION, and how since the hitboxes actually matched the character's proportions, that you would see players that would come up only to your ankle, as it gave them a tremendous advantage in PvP and PvE

I don't remember that in Aion, but it was a plague in ark. Also the reason why the elin/popori were so popular in TERA... that and also... weiros

Once we know more about hitboxs, I will be very vocal on the subject.
    TVMenSP.png
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member

Always some weirdos hanging around the original Starbucks... Still a fun city.

I don't remember that in Aion, but it was a plague in ark. Also the reason why the elin/popori were so popular in TERA... that and also... weiros

Once we know more about hitboxs, I will be very vocal on the subject.

It never was not weird seeing an Elin Lancer trying to block a BAM.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited May 2021
    I'd like to see a natural hair "color wheel" for each race ... where Intrepid decides the 'boundaries' of the color wheel based on natural hair color in known Verra lore.

Players can then "drag" the mouse pointer to any point in the color wheel and stop wherever they like. All that time, seeing the hair color change in the character generation window.

After an initial hair color is determined, players could then go to the next steps for hair highlights, additional layers, hair dyes, and other customized options.
  • Options
    ShabobShabob Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    When it comes to helmets / hats I have an idea for a new feature.

In addition to the hide helmet setting, I'd like a "don helmet" setting.

So basically, in non combat situations you would have your helmet / hat in a bag or attached to your armor. When you enter combat, then you would then don your helmet or hat. That way it would be more natural to how people actually use helmets, and the great hairstyles would be prominent. If walking around town, you're not going to be wearing your helmet. You only wear your helmet when you fight right?

I also like the idea of racial hairstyles and colors.
    wWk7s7B.png
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd like to see a natural hair "color wheel" for each race ... where Intrepid decides the 'boundaries' of the color wheel based on natural hair color in known Verra lore.

In the initial character creation screen, I would prefer only the hair and skin hues that are natural to that race, which will differ by race.

However, once in game play, a player could discover how to make a red, green, purple, etc. dye from plants, perhaps as a byproduct of the cooking profession. You could dye your hair as an advertisement then sell your concoction at substantial profit to others. Mix various dyes to get startling shades!
  • Options
    As long as there's a purple option for someone I'll be happy 💜
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited May 2021
    Sure hair dyes can exist in a fantasy world? With all those herbalists & alchemists, someone's got to have invented hair dyes at some point.

Customizable hair color plz. I'd like to be this elf with shocking pink hair.
    ... Just kidding, I'd keep it green so I can blend in with the bushes and ambush that caravan.
  • Options
    JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd rather have full customization regardless of race. If we have to limit something i'd rather it be limited to "realistic" hair colors. Even if a race is supposed to have a certain hair color i'd rather not have that be a factor on whether or not I pick a race. And worst case I'd rather not have to go bald because what is considered appropriate for each race looks bad in my personal opinion.

Full customization on things like that; helps me to fit my jam theme 🍇
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    Can they let us do the BDO thing where you can choose:

Root colour
    Base colour
    Highlight colour

please :)

edit: also because I know a few people who would be interested, the option to go ombre! with a slider that lets you control the blending region.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    LithionLithion Member
    In a world with magic, potions, Dragons, and many types of mystical plants and animals... It's not really breaking immersion to think every race can make hair dye or has access to a barber that can style it any way you want. Hope we see full color and styles shared between all, or at least colors.