Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dev Updates in the future /w Alpha testers

RisingPhoenixRisingPhoenix Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Imagine this is probably already in the works but... normal has been a standard set of folks on the live stream. Would be great to have 1 or 2 non-content creator/non-Intrepid players each stream prior to release. Having someone other than those in the selling side of the effort be a part of what is a huge ++ prior to release. Having some input live from a player who is just beginning to truly see the game would be great. Not saying I dont wanna see our glorious Leads... just a immersion idea!

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It would be nice to see people who can actually play the game properly. It is difficult to see the quality of the combat such as PvP and PvE aspects where the devs have to cheat to progress. I haven't bought into Alpha 1 yet because I'm simply not convinced in the project at this time. It would be a welcome change when the content creators have no NDA and I can see the game from different perspectives until my heart's content.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am sorry to disagree with you.

While it sounds like it would be great to have more community involvement on the DEV updates. To me that would take away from it being a "DEV Update". It would become something else. Right now, all information that comes out of these DEV updates are from the DEVs mouths. Adding non-intrepid voices to the mix comes with the risk of more misunderstandings.

In the current state the DEV updates still get some miss understandings with all Intrepid voices. I imagine that it would only get worst if people not on the DEV team were there.

We have the monthly Q&A and streamers already do reaction videos. I think the way things are right now is perfect. Plus Steven already goes on content creators platforms more than any other MMO lead I know of.
    I really don't think we should be asking for more community involvement. Intrepid is doing so much more than what is necessary to keep the community involved and up to date on the game. To me asking for more in unfair.

TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    LuthienstormLuthienstorm Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    The point of Alpha One is to collect data to help revamp the combat and to find server issues. The game is at least a year away from being 85% done. Games aren't "ready to play" until 90%. The developers and other content creators have already said Alpha One isn't a ready to play game. What's the point of projecting your wishes onto their timeline? Your disappointment or the possibility of the intrepid trying to sell an incomplete product. Content creators are practiced in creating "good content". You probably wouldn't want some random person giving their opinion because a random person isn't versed in speech craft or streaming. Alpha one is for those who wish to have a greater impact on the creative process. The creator Steven Shariff has invested millions of his own money...we get to invest 500$.
  • Options
    The point of Alpha One is to collect data to help revamp the combat and to find server issues. The game is at least a year away from being 85% done. Games aren't "ready to play" until 90%. The developers and other content creators have already said Alpha One isn't a ready to play game. What's the point of projecting your wishes onto their timeline? Your disappointment or the possibility of the intrepid trying to sell an incomplete product. Content creators are practiced in creating "good content". You probably wouldn't want some random person giving their opinion because a random person isn't versed in speech craft or streaming. Alpha one is for those who wish to have a greater impact on the creative process. The creator Steven Shariff has invested millions of his own money...we get to invest 500$.

Not sure how much combat can be revamped when half the classes won't exist until Alpha 2. The issue remains that everything in the $500 pack I have already or have access to if I want the cosmetics. Forking out another $125 for 2 months extra game time, some embers and a forum tag is a tad steep. I want to test out Bard which is why I chose A2 package in the first place. I give feedback where I can give feedback and I'd hate to be restricted by an NDA. I'd rather be free flow.

In terms of the dev diaries, I don't think the format needs a change. The Dev diaries are already sufficient and have enough time and detail for now. I still believe the game should speak for itself and the content creators are gearing up for the NDA to lift. I could still buy into A1, I'm just not hyped to spend money right now if I can help it. I'm not sure I want to be tagged and bagged for the rest of the game's lifespan. If you could get refunds I wouldn't hesitate but a lack of refunds means I've already spent more than a A1 ticket.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Beck AltarrBeck Altarr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Neurath wrote: »
    It would be nice to see people who can actually play the game properly. It is difficult to see the quality of the combat such as PvP and PvE aspects where the devs have to cheat to progress. I haven't bought into Alpha 1 yet because I'm simply not convinced in the project at this time. It would be a welcome change when the content creators have no NDA and I can see the game from different perspectives until my heart's content.

I am in the Alpha 1 and I will be streaming everything non-nda that I do. I too have similar concerns that we've yet to see any actual "game play" that hasn't been curated by Dev Commands. It is one of the reasons I have said I don't think AoC is in an actual Alpha 1 ready state at this time. We have not seen much of the very fundamental features of the game in quite some time. We only see 3 out of the 64 class/augment types. I'd expect to see at least the 8 core classes in some way, even to a limited level/skill tree in an Alpha.

I have participated in many Alphas over 20 years. I know what a true alpha is all about and there really isn't much if any game to play. It's about testing those foundational systems and looking for bugs, glitches and places where you fall through the map and retesting those things in different ways so you describe to the best of your ability how you did it and what happened and how repeatable was it. It can be tedious and even boring to some people.

I have faith in the team and I have a great community of Twitch followers that have helped me get the Alpha so I will be making sure we all get to see the potential of AoC from a players perspective and not just from a Dev.
    phoenix.png
    Alpha/Beta Tester of Many Games - Station Manger of PhoenixRadio.Online an AoC & Gamer themed online Radio. Tune In Here
    Love a good story and lore.
    Twitch Streamer : PRO Discord
  • Options

I am in the Alpha 1 and I will be streaming everything non-nda that I do. I too have similar concerns that we've yet to see any actual "game play" that hasn't been curated by Dev Commands. It is one of the reasons I have said I don't think AoC is in an actual Alpha 1 ready state at this time. We have not seen much of the very fundamental features of the game in quite some time. We only see 3 out of the 64 class/augment types. I'd expect to see at least the 8 core classes in some way, even to a limited level/skill tree in an Alpha.

I have participated in many Alphas over 20 years. I know what a true alpha is all about and there really isn't much if any game to play. It's about testing those foundational systems and looking for bugs, glitches and places where you fall through the map and retesting those things in different ways so you describe to the best of your ability how you did it and what happened and how repeatable was it. It can be tedious and even boring to some people.

I have faith in the team and I have a great community of Twitch followers that have helped me get the Alpha so I will be making sure we all get to see the potential of AoC from a players perspective and not just from a Dev.

Okay Cool. I have a lot of work on at the moment. Hopefully I can catch a stream or more likely, will catch a replay session when I have the downtime. I understand the Alpha/Beta routine, I've done it before but I've never had to pay to Alpha test or Beta test before. I get the impression the 'fully funded until release' is a slight overstatement when the prices are so high to simply test. I appreciate the content creators and can't wait to give views :)
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    LuthienstormLuthienstorm Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Not sure how much combat can be revamped when half the classes won't exist until Alpha 2. The issue remains that everything in the $500 pack I have already or have access to if I want the cosmetics. Forking out another $125 for 2 months extra game time, some embers and a forum tag is a tad steep. I want to test out Bard which is why I chose A2 package in the first place. I give feedback where I can give feedback and I'd hate to be restricted by an NDA. I'd rather be free flow.

In terms of the dev diaries, I don't think the format needs a change. The Dev diaries are already sufficient and have enough time and detail for now. I still believe the game should speak for itself and the content creators are gearing up for the NDA to lift. I could still buy into A1, I'm just not hyped to spend money right now if I can help it. I'm not sure I want to be tagged and bagged for the rest of the game's lifespan. If you could get refunds I wouldn't hesitate but a lack of refunds means I've already spent more than a A1 ticket.

No one is recommending that you spend another 125$ for Alpha One. If you aren't sure about the product you aren't sure about the product. Something was stated about moving the Apoc code over to their current version. That means they may have five classes ready for Alpha One. Bard and Summoner will numerically be created based upon the other archetypes . I don't see how it's not possible for Intrepid to make data driven decisions based on Alpha one combat in preparation for a more complete Alpha 2.
  • Options
    Naturally you can test the targeting systems, the movement systems and the feedback systems. I've given feedback on the chunkiness of animations, the over the top animations (the old fireball mechanic) and the old combat system (Quick time events). The renditions can be improved between A1 and A2 but the character models also need a lot of work. The combat numbers won't remain the same from now until Beta 2. Few iterations will remain the same from now until Beta 2. I would expect anything I test in A1 to be revamped and changed before B2. I'm not against the test itself but against the price decided upon the test.

It is a problem when I must pay $500 to get into A1 (though $125 more because of my current package). When other $500 packages had lifetime subs and actual cosmetics associated with them. The current A1 Package seems to have been an after thought. I bought in to the game on the old time schedule and believed that A2 would be much sooner yet we still haven't had A1. This is why I am hesitant to purchase A1, because there is no semblance of fairness beyond the access level. We could remain in A1 for a year or more, dependant on the bugs found, the iteration changes required and the feedback gleaned. From that stand point alone I might buy into A1 but I'm not so hyped right now as I was in my green state.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    RisingPhoenixRisingPhoenix Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    So I know the game is not ready to play and yes I know its called a Dev Update... with that said... some folks took my post as though I was throwing that element to the wind. It was just a idea to increase the excitement as well as gather other avenues of knowledge. If all we hear is company side.... such as last stream when Steven pounded home that this Alpha is not the game per say... I get that and respect that for sure.... however once the NDA isn't a issue... Mr/Ms Average could roll with the team on a raid and add a lot of color to the demonstration... I know this game already surpasses my expectations given the amount of community involvement even at this stage..... As always I appreciate negative feedback... as long as folks appreciate and give me a fair shake as well :)
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    While it sounds like it would be great to have more community involvement on the DEV updates. To me that would take away from it being a "DEV Update". It would become something else. Right now, all information that comes out of these DEV updates are from the DEVs mouths. Adding non-intrepid voices to the mix comes with the risk of more misunderstandings.
    Might be interesting to have the devs comment on a content creator vid that they like during the monthly Livestream. It would still be the dev spin on what we're seeing.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Littlefeet wrote: »
    So I know the game is not ready to play and yes I know its called a Dev Update... with that said... some folks took my post as though I was throwing that element to the wind. It was just a idea to increase the excitement as well as gather other avenues of knowledge. If all we hear is company side.... such as last stream when Steven pounded home that this Alpha is not the game per say... I get that and respect that for sure.... however once the NDA isn't a issue... Mr/Ms Average could roll with the team on a raid and add a lot of color to the demonstration... I know this game already surpasses my expectations given the amount of community involvement even at this stage..... As always I appreciate negative feedback... as long as folks appreciate and give me a fair shake as well :)
    There will be plenty of access to non-dev streams -with non-dev opinions- starting this Friday.