Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Can we see more NON cashshop cosmetic?

From the leak from Amazon, New World, about the cash shop

See video https://youtu.be/C9BmOLHUZC8

Can we see more often NON cash shop cosmetic?

To compare with the cash shop ones
Can we achieve a similar look?

Because, I want to value my time and effort.
Because, I want to value my paid subscription.
Because, I don't want to feel being milked.

A company, who knows that part of his income is coming from a cashshop, will put more / some energy to that.
The company has to create an incentive for the players to choose the cash shop options.

So, my appearance, my time, my paid subscritption will be, comparatevely to / because of the cashshop, devalued.

Comments

• Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Seen that video before the post. It is a good video in the context of a large company that has the funds to make any game they want, but in the case of smaller companies like Intrepid or Grinding Gear Games(Path of Exile), the arguments against cash shops are more nuanced and situational.

That said, if they had the in game achievable art to show. They would show it. We are so early in Alpha right now. The game only goes to level 10 in every demo they have shown. Steven does a good job of showing off anything and everything he can with or without the rest of the teams blessing.

Intrepid has promised us the end game achievable gear will be the best looking gear in the game. All we can do is take them at their word for now.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    Seems like we have seen some comparisons with APOC armor v in-game armor.
    Eldritch_Touched_Regalia.jpg
    Runeweaver%27s_Ensemble.jpg
  • Options
    RageconRagecon Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Abolish the cash shop, after launch. The eh have said what they are selling now will be what the npcs will be wearing and I’m ok with that as they “say” these purchases help them to create more, but once it comes to unique armor for the love of god keep in in game only don’t devalue peoples time by having cooler looks for sale... @LieutenantToast
  • Options
    Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hi there.

Steven has said that the cosmetics achievable in-game will be on par if not better than the cash shop cosmetics, at least in terms of detail, etc. Of course, whether you actually like any of the in-game cosmetics is down to personal preference.

Anyway, here is an example of an in-game achievable mount: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Kirin
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    AlrotaAlrota Member
    Hi there.

Steven has said that the cosmetics achievable in-game will be on par if not better than the cash shop cosmetics, at least in terms of detail, etc. Of course, whether you actually like any of the in-game cosmetics is down to personal preference.

Anyway, here is an example of an in-game achievable mount: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Kirin

Lovely, so much detail :o Such great textures :)

• Options
    RikeriRikeri Member
    Hi there.

I just want to see more

If they have time to developp Cash shop skins

They must have time to developp in game skins
  • Options
    JaveonJaveon Member
    edited May 2021
    Hi there.

I hope that the cosmetics don't look better than the in-game achievable cosmetics.

I want them to look nice for the people who want to buy them but not better nor par with the in-game achievable items. I'd accept that cash shop. A new player who wants to buy a cosmetic to look appealing to themselves or their friends is fine, but a cosmetic that looks appealing to everyone is just not cool anymore. I used to say, why does it matter, but if you think about it, people spend time grinding those pieces of cosmetic gear, and to have someone pay 20$ to look the same way, then what was the point to grind that gear? You wasted your time doing that while someone else just paid for it, and now you're mad, so you'd quit because what was the point?

The cash shop cosmetics should be appealing but not so much, and limited dyes because dyes don't really take away the looks of things too much. at least in my opinion.
  • Options
    GubiakGubiak Member
    The video already covers most of how I feel like about cash shops in mmorpg's. Cash shop cosmetics devalue achievements gained through gameplay however it's how it is now and there is no escaping it. At least keep the quality of ingame and cash shop cosmetics on a level.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Rikeri wrote: »
    Hi there.

I just want to see more

If they have time to developp Cash shop skins

They must have time to developp in game skins

The cash shop skins they sell each month are the models for the in-game mobs so it makes sense to develop them. You will be seeing NPCs in-game wearing a version of this months costume, you will see NPC mobs that are reminiscent of this months pet/mount, you will see building structures that are similar to this months freehold skin.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    DiuraDiura Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hi there.

Ooo I was wondering what that mount was called! I have been searching for it for days! Beautiful! One of my favourite mount appearances so far!
    8st3lhnx21to.png
  • Options
    Agreed, i feel like lots of the fear of the cosmetic shop would be alleviated if we could actually see some more of the non cash armor
  • Options
    TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited May 2021
    Can we see more often NON cash shop cosmetic?
    In other words you want free stuff from Intrepid.

Because, I want to value my time and effort.
    You value your time and effort yet you don't value the time and effort artists put into making pretty things.

Because, I want to value my paid subscription.
    Don't confuse things.
    With subscription you are paying for a experience, cosmetic falls under the category of "lifestyle".

Because, I don't want to feel being milked.
    YOUR NEED of wanting to look cool, special and prestigious is something all videogames use because is human psychology, but is 100% human vanity and not something they invented.
    People that can't pay for 100k suit are not entitled to a 100k suit.

I think all this topic about not wanting cosmetic is a disrespect to the time and effort of artists. Some people think pretty things on videogame come out of nowhere.
    If you want to look prestigious. Pay for it like any other human.

If Intrepid ever add something that directly or indirectly makes the game p2w I'll be one of the first speaking out. But now you are just confused.
    If Intrepid gives cosmetic for free if because of some financial magic and to be in good terms with the population. Stop being whiny and entitled.

If you like videogames, support the creation of pretty assets and cosmetics. Make noise when it affects competitiveness.
  • Options
    RikeriRikeri Member
    I am already paying the game by a subcription

I have to pay more?
  • Options
    RikeriRikeri Member
    ps : Did you notice you didn't answer my initial request?
  • Options
    ezenkrul87ezenkrul87 Member, Phoenix Initiative, Hero of the People, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ragecon wrote: »
    Abolish the cash shop, after launch. The eh have said what they are selling now will be what the npcs will be wearing and I’m ok with that as they “say” these purchases help them to create more, but once it comes to unique armor for the love of god keep in in game only don’t devalue peoples time by having cooler looks for sale... @LieutenantToast

I highly doubt the cash shop will go away after launch especially since a lot of backers and pre orders include the currency for the cash shop. They have advised that the in game currency can only be used once the game is released. So unless swap it for something else, I see the cash shop staying.

I have to pay more?

Choosing to buy things from the cash shop is a choice. So you can choose to do so or not.
    Ezenkrul - Phoenix Initiative
  • Options
    rayleghraylegh Member
    I think that's not the point. But what is the meaning of doing and putting a lot of effort into a difficult dungeons or something to get a great set if someone else can get a cool set too just by paying real money?

I feel that's the question.
  • Options
    For one thing, in-game sets can mixed and matched...for another, the most elaborate versions of a set will be acquired in-game, rather than from the shop.
    The set from the dungeon will be recognized as the dungeon set, while the version from the shop will be recognized as purchased from the shop.

And in Ashes, the reason to do a dungeon is primarily to benefit the region and the Node(s). Acquiring cool gear from that is just a nice bonus.
  • Options

I have to pay more?

Nope - you don't!

Also: In regards to the OP's concerns, remember that what we are shown in the cash shop is a "variant" of in-game gear. Ergo, we essentially ARE getting peeks at in-game, loot-able/craft-able items - just one variant or color of such a set. Previews are fine, but who would want to see ALL (or even just too many) of the variants/colors/etc *before* the game launches? Yours truly wants some pleasant surprises, in-game.

• Options
    RikeriRikeri Member
    Thank you for your comments
    I also read/heard what Steven said about store cosmetic and in game cosmetic

I just want to see some example of cool in game gear (as cool as the cosmetics)

I think it is important that Steven put to rest the drama
    Words are not enough for me ;-)
    Dygz wrote: »
    And in Ashes, the reason to do a dungeon is primarily to benefit the region and the Node(s). Acquiring cool gear from that is just a nice bonus.

I am not sure
    At the beginning of the game, a player may prefer personal progression (level, gear, skins,...) instead of node progression
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Node progression drives personal progression - they are all interconnected.
    But, the quote specifically states "reason to do a dungeon".
  • Options
    Only things I see a cash shop providing that may be considered a benefit:

It lets the developer have greater influence in situations where the in-game economy might be out of wack or manipulated to the point where it’s no longer a game or a seriously broken game.

But that’s something you would want to role out after the many instances of these economies roll out and would be on a case-by-case basis per server.

The other option rather than a cash shop could be inter-server economic transactions with a small fee attached. That would keep the value of in-game crafted items while still offer a means of reasonable, additional revenue or the ability to tweak things as needed. The player-driven markets would be used more broadly in that instance. You would also conduct such trading at a Level 6 Economic Node. If that’s viewed as too much advantage for an economic node, then adjust to what makes sense. For example, can be done at any Level 6 Node during certain seasons and/or market times. Making it an event more than just a transaction.

The player is paying for convenience and that cost is both in game (specific locations and conditions) and out of game (small cash fee).

Second point:

How are design patterns being introduced? Could a cash shop be used to essentially vote on design content - sort of like a mini-Kickstarter, to provide feedback on potential design concepts before getting the team to work on the models and what not? Backers would then have the rights to the patterns from which in game crafters could produce them. All others could purchase these patterns in game once the design is made available. In this manner you develop an out of game player economy on continuing development of the game beyond that which is planned via subscription. Your could even allow player created art, with approval from Intrepid, to be included in the set of proposed designs. Intrepid could set the level required for what is needed to bring these things to life, whether exclusively budgeted through the shop or part shop/part subscription.