Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Crafting.

LayfonAlseifLayfonAlseif Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
So I understand that crafting is in its infancy with this test, However I personally think that crafting each individual component of an item could lead to some interesting crafting mechanics. I think that allowing crafting skills to be different really allows a player to immerse themselves in the profession itself. Especially important to get them immersed since you want players to try to master a specific profession.

<b>Weapon Crafting</b>
I think that building each individual piece could allow u to create items with specific stats in mind and really allow u to min max your character via crafting. for an example you craft a hilt that gives you a minor increase to attack speed and choose a lighter blade that also gives attack speed. This allows the player to create gear that they personally want. Also each style has passive drawbacks when picking the attack speed over other stats you are inherently losing out on the other stats.

<b>Cooking and Alchemy</b>
I always enjoyed proper experimenting for alchemy Skyrim is a basic but great example of trial and error to learn creation of specific elixirs and potions BDO also had a similar system if I recall. In BDO my personal favorite Life skill (profession) is cooking I would gather materials and just look for new recipes (I also loved that recipes could be made with differing materials).

<b>Gathering</b>
Gathering is usually very basic go there look for this material I honestly like this system I have spent 100s of hours in WoW,Archeage,BDO,Albion Online just mining. I think that adding a mini game for basic gather could be more annoying than it is worth. In the alpha one test I can safely say that some of the nodes (mining specifically) need to be larger and more visible.

<b>Fishing</b>
Hands down my favorite fishing system in any game was Archeage Sport fishing legit fighting via skills given by the fishing pole felt great The only draw back is they were never used in professions and were only sold for gold, However I honestly like that style of fishing so much that I spent the entire Alpha of Archeage fishing. Also In Archeage there was an option for normal afk fishing to catch smaller fish that were used in crafting.

Anyone have any critiques? I would love to know your experiences with gathering and crafting systems. Things like in Guild wars 2 where if you are crafting bulk the speed increases after each craft.

Comments

• Options
    CelebrimborCelebrimbor Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Alchemy like in skyrim.. not bad hahaha I like that idea!
    I am the bright lord!
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Harvestmoon does a really cool thing with recipes:

You can fill your recipe book with basic recipes for different dishes, BUT the recipe book doesn't tell you what extra secret ingredients you can put in to cook high quality dishes - and therein lies the mystery.
    Too bad the internet exists...
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    I don't necessarily like having secret recipes in the game if the game does not hint that it even exists. It's basically developing content that no one will ever experience except like 1 guy. Which isn't bad if it's for a small amount of players, but this would literally be just 1 guy. Due to sheer amount of variables involved it would rarely happen you actually find something interesting.

I would like it if they simply added recipe drops to the game and you had a chance to get it and it gave a single character the recipe when used. Would give people goals that they could potentially buy from other players. Also would give bonuses to people who like to grind a lot. Since grinding usually gives less experience. It's important that grinding gives more gear and unique drops to balance it out. The drop chances also need to be rare so that mass amounts of people don't get it with minimum effort, but not as rare as actual good equipment drops.

You could then introduce recipes that result in better qualities of the item and that would simulate doing the same thing without any possibilities for abuse.

The problem with systems that give player power or advantage due to player experience is that it inspires power leveling later down the road. Will kill the game's replay ability and that isn't too good to have in an MMO. Also the accumulation of experience will deter new players even further from playing the game at all.

So I support the idea in a way that works in an rpg, but not in a way that gives players an advantage in professions to this degree due to play time invested prior on another character. The game will naturally have that to a much lesser degree, but adding something like this will multiply that advantage into itself. Having it as drops though puts the same mystery, but in a way that involves playing the main game. So instead of wasting thousands of ingredients to RNG with no guarantee to ever find anything. You will guarantee to find something eventually from playing the game, but it has no guarantee to be useful to you and make you interact with other players to find the equivalent for your profession.

Also it removes the potential for the RNG to have RNG involved into it that the op suggestion naturally would have. There will probably be a natural failure rate in the system so you will have to craft every recipe like 30 times with other ingredients per additional ingredient just to ensure you don't miss potential recipes on the way.

It is right that the internet ruined these kinds of systems from existing in the first place, but it would be nice if they made the game with the intent to never use outside websites for every little detail. It's much more reasonable to just have to use it for drop rates. If the internet didn't exist as a perfect information matrix then I would suggest to add script items to the drop pool that simply told you these special recipes at a very low drop rate from only certain types of enemies. This would solve the using thousands of materials to failed efforts problem. However, the way the internet is this would just devolve into an advantage for potential dataminers or people using the internet for that advantage. It's much better to limit the players ability to craft them at all unless they learn a recipe.

One thing I would like to see with professions is a account wide linked book that tells you every recipe in the game. However it's completely blank until you discover recipes. Other characters wouldn't be able to craft the recipes, but they would see all of the recipes you discovered account wide. That way it could be a potential check list for completion while not diminishing the recipe economy in the game. Assuming it will use the system I recommended above.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I respectfully disagree.

I like to cook. I make up recipes, some work. Some don't.

I like to go out to eat, but not at chain restaurants with commercial kitchens. At small, unique, chef owned restaurants. The kind of place where the chef makes up and discovers new recipes that really are good.

So that kind of thing should be in game...discovery! I know that the Animal Husbandry profession secrets will have to be discovered in~game. Hopefully cooking recipes will work the same way. Learn to grow the best carrots on the server and maybe your stew will buff players' night vision.
  • Options
    Hayhaka SapaHayhaka Sapa Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    tautau wrote: »
    I like to cook. I make up recipes, some work. Some don't.

I like to go out to eat, but not at chain restaurants with commercial kitchens. At small, unique, chef owned restaurants. The kind of place where the chef makes up and discovers new recipes that really are good.

So that kind of thing should be in game...discovery! I know that the Animal Husbandry profession secrets will have to be discovered in~game. Hopefully cooking recipes will work the same way. Learn to grow the best carrots on the server and maybe your stew will buff players' night vision.

I totally agree. Any real crafting what separates the average from the great is the average follows recipes (or in the case of singers and movies remakes what already was a hit) while the great ones use their imagination and knowledge to create new things. In the game, those new things could exist in every occupation and be the best available. Make creations something that the creator can blueprint and sell for a high amount multiple times and lower the price as they see fit. Anyone selling a blueprint bought from a creator can only get a tenth of the price and 10% goes to the original creator like royalties. Gives people an incentive to try new things. In cooking, someone that just follows a recipe is a cook and never went to chef school. Someone that invents is a chef and has gone through chef school.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2021
    I mean... there are a ton of great cooks who don't follow recipes and never went to chef school.
    And lots of chefs who went to chef school who just follow what they were taught and never invented anything on their own.

I have a feeling most Crafters would rather not make a blueprint of their rare "recipes". That creates competition. Seems like most would want to have people continue to come to them for what they want.

Seems very possible that Crafters might be able to make and sell blueprints/recipes, but I have a feeling it would be for common and uncommon stuff rather than rare stuff.
  • Options
    Hayhaka SapaHayhaka Sapa Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    I have a feeling most Crafters would rather not make a blueprint of their rare "recipes". That creates competition. Seems like most would want to have people continue to come to them for what they want.

Seems very possible that Crafters might be able to make and sell blueprints/recipes, but I have a feeling it would be for common and uncommon stuff rather than rare stuff.

Nobody would be required to sell their discoveries. If someone else discovered the recipe and sold it first then they would be the owner of that patent" so to speak. Many inventors in real life who are famous never invented the things they are famous for. Some like Edison owned a lab with over 100 people inventing things for the company. As owner Edison got the credit and royalties. The light bulb for example was invented by a black scientist who worked there. Others bought inventions (that is why most inventions today are sold to companies to market) or stole inventions such as Bell stealing the telephone patent (in law school we learned he paid a bribe to a clerk in the patent office to let him know when his competitor tried to file a patent and to delay them. The clerk sent the one filing the patent to lunch and contacted Bell who then had a copy made by the clerk and filed in his own name. What he had been working on didn't work. Rather than wires it transmitted sound through tubes of water. He stole the invention and got famous. Like Edison he was a lab owner and invented little himself.). You choose whether to keep the secret as long as possible or to sell and collect royalties.