Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

In Game Map - Lets Guide Them...Right...Left...Correctly!

RayhotepRayhotep Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited May 2021 in General Discussion
Ashes can improve their map for navigate around the world. Let me first say, I really like the "harder-core" zoomed out version of the map and would like to see it stay. Nevertheless, I would like to see the ability for players to place icons, and name the icons, on their own map. After leaving a location, it can be difficult to traverse back to a location once departed. I barely remember what I had for breakfast; let-alone, where to "re-find" the entrance to a cave. The addition of an icon feature enhances game play, while it still maintains the integrity of the intent.

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the idea of being able to make marks on your own map.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I`m quite a fan of many of the things that New World got right.. (unfortunately they have a lot that was not so well done too)

But I thought their map was reasonably done, a nice balance between a stylized diagrammatic map with some landmarks, not to busy, just a nice balance

Or at a stretch, some of the skyrim modded maps

• Options
    Yes it defiantly should have a good balance between landmarks unmarked areas. The addition of NPCs and other small details is far too much. Add on top of that, the players ability to make marks on his/her map adds a layer of realism.
  • Options
    ItzGhosttItzGhostt Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dude waypoints pings and all that would be dope especially for PK and hot spots.
  • Options
    Kaizen StravaKaizen Strava Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Even if it is an out of game map tied to your intrepid account where you could go mark it up with personal notes. That would be quite helpful
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Marking your own map and being able to mark a guild or party map should absolutely be placed in this game. It felt like this exact thing was missing from the game during A1.

Marking current roaming paths, alerting members of where hostile players are, marking potential targets, organizing an ambush or protection during raids and caravan events....all things that would be much better with some system in game.
  • Options
    Genshin Impact also had a map marker system. I liked it a lot in the limited time I played that. It should be possible just because realistically any adventurer would do it. Not always a good to go for realism, but this is one of the things that if you don't do it in game. People will do it out of the game pretty easily. Not even through third party software. Whenever you have a problem that can be solved easily in game. That otherwise results in having a map open on another screen all of the time. I think it is a good enough reason to add map markers to the game.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    Genshin Impact also had a map marker system. I liked it a lot in the limited time I played that. It should be possible just because realistically any adventurer would do it. Not always a good to go for realism, but this is one of the things that if you don't do it in game. People will do it out of the game pretty easily. Not even through third party software. Whenever you have a problem that can be solved easily in game. That otherwise results in having a map open on another screen all of the time. I think it is a good enough reason to add map markers to the game.

Completely agree with this statement. Though, I think it would actually add to the realism. As someone who has done quite a bit of navigation in RL, with a map and compass, this feature would 100% be realistic. Instead of me taking a picture of the map on my phone, or annotating a grid on a piece of paper next to me, I stay in game and keep the immersion going.
  • Options
    SchmukySchmuky Member
    If they add the personal markers, the notes are a must. Having 10 markers that look the same means nothing a few weeks later, you just know that "something is there that at some point i considers important". Markers yes, notes yes, please!
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Khronus wrote: »
    Marking your own map and being able to mark a guild or party map should absolutely be placed in this game. It felt like this exact thing was missing from the game during A1.
    Um. For an Alpha One, it's just nice to have maps at all.
    We're probably at less than 20% implementation on the planned functionality.
    Remember that Alpha One is core systems.
  • Options
    Schmuky wrote: »
    If they add the personal markers, the notes are a must. Having 10 markers that look the same means nothing a few weeks later, you just know that "something is there that at some point i considers important". Markers yes, notes yes, please!

I kinda assumed it to be the included, but ya it's probably a good idea to say the ability to name the marker and maybe have a comment box for it might be nice to include as well. Also a selection to use any icon in the game for the marker is another avenue to look into.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In larger taverns, there will be a map room you can rent. If these marked up player maps could be shared in that room, privately, that would be pretty cool.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I agree that the current map has many problems at the moment. I am hoping we get one of those nifty round compasses with the mini map to move around and scale. Personally, I really only like the overlay style maps in ARPG style games.

I am very confident this is all just placeholder UI currently.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I am very confident this is all just placeholder UI currently.

No doubt it is. Just some ideas for them once they start refining the UI in the game. I really do like not having a lot of details on the map. It don't feel like I'm cutting corners when looking for a place.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    Some time ago, there was a glimpse of some portions of UI that were under development that were considerably more polished and modern than any current iterations currently in active use.

For me personally, it appeared as a direction I would whole heartedly like to see and so there is a hope that that direction and design congruence carries through to other placeholder elements including the map.