Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Nodes Growing Up!

RayhotepRayhotep Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
There should be some indication of a node's growth. I have heard, that nodes will not have any XP gage for level up. I believe some indication should be present. My idea would be to have an NPC give a different greeting/conversation as the node grows closer to the next level. For instance, (4k necessary for level up) at 1k NPC: "Just the other day there were trees all around...now they are cleared out!" at 2k (half way to level up) NPC: "My goodness! There are new people arriving every day!"
The NPC at 3k would say: "Amazing how everyone working together has made this place look so nice!" and then 4k it levels up and repeats.

This could be a slight encouragement that there is actually progress being made.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    This would cause people from all neighboring nodes would just rush to the first node to signal that it is closer to leveling up.

Also, since housing in a node is first come, first served, Intrepid have stated that they dont want to give an indication of where a node is in terms of progress.
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the only indication of node growth in the game should be confirmation that you're making progress with your actions. Maybe a tiny "nxp+" that comes up whenever you kill a monster. It shouldn't show you numbers of any kind, but confirmation that you're making progress would be nice.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah, this weekend I was thinking about that myself. I kind of would like to see the nodes stage on the minimap, but that is about it. I feel like Noanni is right. The more information you give the players the more they will abuse the system. Maybe not having players know the node progress is for the best long term.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Noaani wrote: »
    This would cause people from all neighboring nodes would just rush to the first node to signal that it is closer to leveling up.

Also, since housing in a node is first come, first served, Intrepid have stated that they dont want to give an indication of where a node is in terms of progress.

It may have people form neighboring nodes to rush over, or it could be they will work harder on their node because they want their's leveled up and the other node locked out. I think on the same token the "progress report" does not have to have any set meter. Carrying my example forward, it could be the NPC changes his speech at 1k, 1.5k, 1.6k and 3.5k. completely random. No one actually knows how close it is but is still gives some sense of progress.
  • Options
    Shoelid wrote: »
    I think the only indication of node growth in the game should be confirmation that you're making progress with your actions. Maybe a tiny "nxp+" that comes up whenever you kill a monster. It shouldn't show you numbers of any kind, but confirmation that you're making progress would be nice.

It would be very nice to have that feedback. That way it doesn't seem like you are in the middle of nowhere, doing no good towards a node. This would be an excellent addition.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I agree with Noaani as well. If players can see the rate of success it will encourage or deter the fickle players from contribution and eventually lead to metagaming migration and abusive behaviours in regards to node vs node and vassals.

Just watched the Node videos again to get a good understanding of its progression.
  • Options
    GubiakGubiak Member
    Lack of information will most likely cause node progression to be more natural since they will most likely ''settle'' in a node that appeals most to them in terms of aesthetics, resources and neighbouring nodes. I am personally against the idea of showing node progress. It will happen when it happens.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    I dunno. There was a quest that was something like - Help Create A Crossroads.
    That basically meant do stuff to get a nearby Node progress to Stage 1.
    It would be nice to be able to gauge that sufficient progress is being made on that quest - if they're actually going to have that kind of quest at launch.
    Could be that is just a quest for Alpha and Beta.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    I dunno. There was a quest that was something like - Help Create A Crossroads.
    That basically meant do stuff to get a nearby Node progress to Stage 1.
    It would be nice to be able to gauge that sufficient progress is being made on that quest - if they're actually going to have that kind of quest at launch.
    Could be that is just a quest for Alpha and Beta.

I found that quest very annoying because there was no sense of progression. I was tempted to abandon it multiple times to "reduce clutter" and old quests in my quest log.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Gubiak wrote: »
    Lack of information will most likely cause node progression to be more natural since they will most likely ''settle'' in a node that appeals most to them in terms of aesthetics, resources and neighboring nodes. I am personally against the idea of showing node progress. It will happen when it happens.

What happens if you've been pouring a lot of time and energy into its progression and it levels up when you aren't around. I would personally like to be there when it happens. It makes it much more satisfying and fulfilling.

In that case, I think people will already levitate towards nodes that are higher development. If they would leave the "big cities" for resources and aesthetics they would do that regardless.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there should be a XP bar like the character leveling. But there should be some indication that the Node is making progress.
  • Options
    I think it would be fine to have a charter in the town hall to see the progress. Having a limited option that you have to go out of your way to check sounds good.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    I think it would be fine to have a charter in the town hall to see the progress. Having a limited option that you have to go out of your way to check sounds good.

Oh like a city hall building planner were you can see whats needed to upgrade a city or even just buildings
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »

Oh like a city hall building planner were you can see whats needed to upgrade a city or even just buildings

Yeah. Doesn't only have to do that either. You could just stick all of the information and administrative stuff to do with a town in the hall. So if you ever needed any information that is where you would go.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Do y'all mean like hypothetical, buildings? As quests are done, a forge is filled in on the plans. Then once all the buildings are filled in/the required xp is reached, the node levels and then they actually appear in game?
  • Options
    Rayhotep wrote: »
    Do y'all mean like hypothetical, buildings? As quests are done, a forge is filled in on the plans. Then once all the buildings are filled in/the required xp is reached, the node levels and then they actually appear in game?

It's more that we know nodes will have a town hall. So we just suggestioning using them for different things effectively. Also so we don't have to use wiki for anything and keep us in the game.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East