Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Could we have a Mandachord for Bards?

SmolSmol Member
edited May 2021 in General Discussion
I told my guild about this yesterday, but in Warframe they have their own bard, Octavia, a Warframe that comes with a Mandachord. The mandachord is a device used to create a beat for each skill. During combat Octavia can cast their skills while each plays a beat that can grant buffs and debuffs. I find Octavia to be one of the best Bards in any game because of this. Here is an example of how the Mandachord works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN4PmEQNTUg

One of the best things Octavia's release did in the Warframe community was to allow creative musicians to come together and create music with different Octavias, of course there was a Maestro in all this. I think having something similar to this would be a great addition to Bards and would definitely make Bards unique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mNp2Zy53Os

The mandachord has a large library of sounds and I'm not suggesting techno, or modern sounds, but using using sounds from traditional sounds, in fact, you can create your different beats and switch them so it avoids repeating the same song for hours.

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I want to play Bard and I don't want techno sounds or any beat sounds except the dubstep I'll have in the background (When I'm not listening to Bear McCreery). The issue is repetition. I'll have to play hundreds of hours and I don't like a limited music pool to be repeated hundreds of times, I want my library of thousands of tunes to be on random. I'm not a fan of your proposal for Ashes of Creation.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I think this would be interesting and help add flavor to bards.
  • Options
    SmolSmol Member
    I just want to clarify, I'm not talking about techno music but I'm talking about introducing a mandachord system with many instrument sounds that grants the Bards the ability to create melodies for each skill like the mandachord itself does and they can create different compositions and can change them without any cost at all, so it doesn't become stale which is what the Octavia does the best in Warframe, you aren't stuck with a melody that repeats on forever.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Okay mate, well, if it's not techno music and it is strings/bagpipes/flute then I would appreciate the functions. If the functions are separate from battles. When you said you attach the notes to moves I feared I would be stuck with repetitive notes whenever I fight. If that's not the case I don't have an issue with the suggestion.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I'd rather that not be in the combat. I'm fine with having a instrument system outside of combat, but during combat could either be annoying or stifle out other sounds you should hear. The only feature for bards I want from other games was the selection of a greater buff that permanently plays as long as the bard is in the party. It's not all they did, but that was the cool support part of the class. Then they could apply mini buffs with other skills to further support.

It's such a powerful ability that it could double as the reason you bring a bard into a party. Thematically I don't think bards are going to need help though.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Bards aren't inherently musicians. The term "bard" includes poets, story tellers, writers, arguably even jugglers and such.

In fact, when you ask the majority of the English speaking world who you are talking about when you refer to "The Bard", most people will name a specific playwright (William Shakespear), as opposed to anything to do with music.

Intrepid have also confirmed that bards in Ashes won't be limited to music.

Now, the idea of a means for players to write and play music together is great, though I would prefer something more like Archeages music system than this.
  • Options
    SmolSmol Member
    Let's not discuss the definition of bard for everyone has a different definition of their own.

We could ask them who they think their bards are.
    Noaani wrote: »
    Bards aren't inherently musicians. The term "bard" includes poets, story tellers, writers, arguably even jugglers and such.

In fact, when you ask the majority of the English speaking world who you are talking about when you refer to "The Bard", most people will name a specific playwright (William Shakespear), as opposed to anything to do with music.

Intrepid have also confirmed that bards in Ashes won't be limited to music.

Now, the idea of a means for players to write and play music together is great, though I would prefer something more like Archeages music system than this.

While true, I doubt you could make a system at the moment where you could sing, or read poetry while casting spells, or do some performances since I was forgetting about that one, this is why music is better for bards since give the tools anyone can play music or create their own.