Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Horse/Mount Brainstormning

CaracarnCaracarn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
After I played/tested Alpha1 weekend for this upcoming game I got inspiration Therefor I will start threads on forum about elements in the game and perhaps my dreamworld on how it can be.

Animal Husbandry:
Also abit wider picture on this topic. In the alpha you were able to get a horse/mount very early on. It was only cash that stopped you so after few quests and development of a settlement you can easily buy a mount. I understand this can easily be changed by Devs. I feel that in that alpha test we could get mounts way too soon.
What if we really go deep with this and do for example as in Life is Feudal MMO. First of all there are wild horses in the wilderness but you have to tame them first. After you tame one you can easily use it as a horse but that horse got low stats, and that MMO made a crossroad with it. You could keep it as a horse and after finding a stallion you could with a stable start getting more horses, and with that increase quality with the horses. Or with correct stats/type of the horse you could turn it into different type of horses (Courier Horse, Warhorse and Heavy Warhorse) after those changes you couldnt change it back meaning they cant be used for breeding. So early one you had to balance this good to either have horses early on or perhaps run out of horses when they die on the battlefield (yes when a horse lost its HP it was permanently gone).
Also there was a time issue as when they horses got too old they couldnt breed so in the early stage of the game you had to tame alot of horses and you could bet that alot of other players were doing the same.
You couldnt buy any horses anywhere unless on the market by players. I find that intriguing and what if Ashes of Creation was the same? The horses only exists depending on what the players do. If no one tame anyone then there will be no horses.
I understand that Animal Husbandry will open up for different statistics on different animals, but lets take it some steps further and let mounts be pure player based. If no one fancy that Artisan skill then no mounts on that server. Of course the danger that those who breeds mounts will be millionaires early on but that can probably be fixed with some market elements (food for the creatures, time spent).
I am just brainstorming here but I thought I wanted to open up this thread for thoughts and perhaps even the developers will read this. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    McShaveMcShave Member
    I don't think i like the idea of mounts getting old, or mount permanent death. It is a great idea for immersion, but probably will be bad for gameplay. Also just to clarify, there will be many more animals to breed than just horses. I assume that there will be some mounts that are bread through the animal husbandry system with stats that you will not find out in the world (making them "pure player based").

I think it will be very important for every group of friends or guild to have someone with animal husbandry. I expect that it will not be the most popular profession, so buying a fast or strong mount on the market will probably be expensive.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Running in any game is beyond boring to me. I loved that mounts were available so quickly. I am not any less immersed if I get to spend less time on foot than on mount. being that very few players will have flying mounts and there will be no fast travel, mounts will play a HUGE role in the quality of life we experience in game. We need these mounts ASAP and will spend most of our time sprinting around to engage or disengage the enemy.

Mounts having a life span I very much disapprove of.

I have always liked the idea of creating a mount and being able to level it up or upgrade it down different upgrade paths depending on how you intend to use it. This can easily be done in AoC and give everyone the reason to have several mounts. Upgrading can be done through the artisan path cooking and then points can be allocated. Just my thoughts on a unique mount system.
  • Options
    I can understand running is abit boring. I just felt that it could be nice thing at launch it would take awhile before people gets mount and with that people gets little more "isolated" from each other depending on which portal they arrived with. Just a feeling. I used reference with Horses as it is easier to understand but yes I know many different mounts will be in the game. I do find permanent death interesting but then you should be able to do mounted combat and I havent seen any indication that Ashes will have that. Thanks for your thoughts.
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »
    Mounts having a life span I very much disapprove of.

I strongly agree with this.
    Having a pet die IRL is terrible. Why bring that into the game?

I like the idea of different mounts being good at different things... like in GW2. And then maybe having a few slots for "mount gear" or some such.... where you could craft maybe barding or special saddles to enhance their abilities further.

• Options
    SchmukySchmuky Member
    So from i saw in dev streams and such, the only mounts that would die off are the dragons. Dragon eggs (or similar flying mounts) will drop from bosses and someone with animal husbandry can hatch the egg or prepare it for hatching. Steven said that the skill of the one that does it will affect the mounts lifespan as well (15-30 days was said i believe). All other mounts are permanent.

Now about animal husbandry, I am waiting for more info as i find the most interesting one and will probably end up doing that.
    So far, per my understanding, you can find mobs in the wild that can be tamed. Which is why Animal Husbandry is an "exploration" profession (you need to go and find them). After that you can breed the mounts to create new ones. I think it is as hardcore as the Life is Feudal and it shouldnt be because of one reason. I think mounts can cross-breed. I am not sure, but thats my impression. Not all mounts of course, but i remember a line of "being able to discover new mounts".

What i understand from this is that certain mounts will only be discovered by players and only if certain other mouths are bread. It will be fun to see how biology works in AoC :))), but skipping that for now, there will be reasons for multiple mounts: first you need one for each type of terrain: one for land, one for glide, one for water.

Another way to make sure players use more than 1 mounts is give them "preferred terrain/climate". Certain mounts are better in different areas of the map. A horse will work super on the roads in a temperate zone, but struggle in the mountains, there you use a wolf mount. That sort of stuff.

I dont what them to be unusable though. Horses can still be used in mountains, but maybe they get a 10% speed debuf or something like that. Not make it mandatory to get mounts but rather have them say " well, i want to spend a lot of time in this mountain, i should get a mountain-type mount for easier travel"

Thats how i imagine it right now, but we need more details on it.
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • Options
    JoemarJoemar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    The only mounts I hope to have life spans are the flying mounts you can get from drops like dragons. However, every other mount, such as horses and ground mounts, should not have life spans. Losing a pet or mount that I have grinded for would make the mount seem useless. If I can only look cool on amount for, let's say, a week, then it isn't worth grinding for. Comestic mounts show a cool power structure; it shows the work you have done. In my mind, a mount is like a nice watch, they all do the same thing, but they show your wealth and power. In the end, I would disprove the whole mount having life spans for all mounts.
    dashing_through_the___snowmen__by_sigeel_d9j2533-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NDQ5IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMmUwNWQ0YTItZjg2Yy00MjY4LWE0NTktZjZjMDQ4NjljMzljXC9kOWoyNTMzLWIyOWI5YjNjLTFiMzAtNDQ3Zi1hN2I1LTVlYjczODJhMzIzZi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.4XkFtp3Nx8h75DXSxKRChmcIq5SAr9eX9eBWA1Y1gG8
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Try adding a life span to some of the undead mounts :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Thanks for interesting thoughts and feedback. I like alot the idea of gear eventually getting broken unless you repair it with appropriate material and not like many games just with cash. It keeps the economy growing and being "healthy". I find similar situation with mounts. Eventually everyone will have best suitable mount for different situation except flying ones. If all have a lifespan or they can die in combat it keeps that similar as gear plus motivate those with skill in animal husbandry to continue. You can even add like DNA influence so for example if you get a mix breed with 10% more running speed in the next generation you have a % chance to keep that again depending on your skill. Just brainstorming here. I understand that it looks just annoying with dieing pets and mounts but if Devs feels realistic mechanics for gear why not try and do it in most areas.