Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Full Release not in the near future ?

Hi,

after the alpha one release many people think that a full release won't be possible before 2023 or even 2024.

Is this true ?

Godspeed,

Envoy
roma invicta

Comments

• Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    yeah the game is a long way off from being done I would say 2024 at the earliest
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Envoy wrote: »
    Hi,

after the alpha one release many people think that a full release won't be possible before 2023 or even 2024.

Is this true ?

Godspeed,

Envoy

I would take everyone thoughts including my own with a grain of salt, it's only speculation and only STeven and the devs themselves know what they've done or not done to this point.

Moving back in the office, having as many Devs as they do, and recently Steven said he would like to hire about 60 more people.

This game in many ways is moving along nicely, what will take some time is balancing, If I had to guess given no major setbacks I think by the end of 2022 is realistic possibly spring 2023.

They haven;t been just sitting on their thumbs all this time, most likely they have more content then they're able to realistically put in now because it has to be done in stages. and when it goes back to the studio it will increase production.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well, that's not true.
    Steven probably is the last person with a realistic idea of the schedule. Remember that Steven thought they could launch the game by 2018 and it's now 2021.
    The devs are still focused on networking - just as they were 3 years ago.
    Alpha was pushed back 2+ years.
    We should expect at least a year of Alpha and a year of Beta. At best.
  • Options
    ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »
    yeah the game is a long way off from being done I would say 2024 at the earliest
    Santanico wrote: »
    I would take everyone thoughts including my own with a grain of salt, it's only speculation and only STeven and the devs themselves know what they've done or not done to this point.

Both true. My personal take is we get Alpha 2 in 2022, Beta 1/2 in 2023, release late 2024. All assuming no major setbacks.
  • Options
    Shoelid wrote: »
    Santanico wrote: »

Both true. My personal take is we get Alpha 2 in 2022, Beta 1/2 in 2023, release late 2024. All assuming no major setbacks.

Yeah that seams reasonable but who knows what will happen between now and then :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    RageconRagecon Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Dygz wrote: »
    Well, that's not true.
    Steven probably is the last person with a realistic idea of the schedule. Remember that Steven thought they could launch the game by 2018 and it's now 2021.
    We should expect at least a year of Alpha and a year of by Beta. At best.

Those statements were also made when he had no clue about development of a game, and now has a better grasp of things. Let alone I’m sure there are a bunch of things that have Ben created and worked on that we haven’t even had a glimps of. I wouldn’t be surprised with them getting back into the office things start rolling together much better and see an alpha 2 by the end of the year
  • Options
    TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member
    edited May 2021
    ....Alpha was pushed back 2+ years.

This is about the sense that yours truly has, having been following the game since October of 2020 and having watched all of the update videos.

If you're an optimist, then I'd reccomend not expecting anything earlier than 4th quarter of 2022/1st quarter of 2023, but mid-2024 feels more-appropriate, for the level of content they are wanting to pack into the game. The core systems are mostly constructed now and are in-testing; the next phase would be to start filling out the actual content. I highly suspect we'll finally see what the Orc character models will look like, before 2021 is finished.

I don't mind the wait; It's better to have a great and as problem-free as-possible launch, than a game that is rushed to meet a specific deadline, only to fall flat due to lack of proper play-testing. Bad launches have killed games that might otherwise have fared better, were they not rushed to open.

• Options
    I'm fine with waiting, gives me time to get my forum points up
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Ragecon wrote: »
    Those statements were also made when he had no clue about development of a game, and now has a better grasp of things. Let alone I’m sure there are a bunch of things that have Ben created and worked on that we haven’t even had a glimps of. I wouldn’t be surprised with them getting back into the office things start rolling together much better and see an alpha 2 by the end of the year
    You say that a week after Alpha One has been delayed again by 2 months.
    Alpha Two by the end of the year sounds like a full year of Alpha. Which is what I predicted.

• Options
    SchmukySchmuky Member
    Kinda new here, but one year of alpha, one year of beta and launch (aka Summer 2023) seems very reasonable.
    Leonin-5-E.jpg
  • Options
    MerekMerek Member
    A release anywhere before 2022 would mean a rushed product.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There is no doubt at all that it will be released before Christmas.

The only question is ...Christmas of what year? I'll make a small wager that release is before Christmas of 2022.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I hate when people comment like this. Forces me to think of WTF I am going to do until then. At least lie to me dude.
  • Options
    Khronus wrote: »

I hate when people comment like this. Forces me to think of WTF I am going to do until then. At least lie to me dude.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    MahesMahes Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This game is not releasing next year. I think Alpha 2 will be 1st quarter of 2022. I expect Beta to start last quarter 2022-1st quarter 2023. Release will be before Christmas of 2023. I think they have more content than we are testing but everything has to be put in in stages. I hope we get the 8 base classes before the end of the year to test.
  • Options
    Who knows what they end up including for the 1st release.

They have a very ambitious game in mind. If it was about money, then they would push for an earlier release. If the market puts out some good games, then they could push for an earlier release. So far it sounds like lack of money and a good MMORPG competitor aren’t really an issue.

They need to make sure what they do release is of good quality and stands the test of time. Plus additional releases should build upon what they’ve done on earlier releases instead of totally replace it. That’s a takeaway from WoW.

As for timeframe? First, their demos show more advancement than the alpha. Was the intention to go super basic to test functionality and core systems before flipping the switch on awesomeness? I get the feeling that is so, but the awesomeness may not be shown until first release, maybe during Beta.

6-9 months of prep for Alpha 2 with around 3-6 months of Alpha 2. Follow that with another 6-9 months prep for the Betas. From there they may be 6 months away from release. That’s 21 months on the short end to 30 months on the long. Puts it in the 2-3 year range. Mid 2023 to end of 2024 for 1st release. Just a guess.
  • Options
    They definitely have more content than we are testing, but they still have to prepare it, polish it and have us test it.
  • Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Well, that's not true.

How much did the launch of Apoc derail the development of the MMO do you think?

By that I mean, with a now fully focused team on the alpha, and new hires happening month by month. How much does it accelerate the development time?

Could 2023 be reasonable?
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »
    Well, that's not true.

By that I mean, with a now fully focused team on the alpha, and new hires happening month by month. How much does it accelerate the development time?

Well in truth APOC saved ashes. if we did not have APOC we would not have found out how bad the back end was
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    If we went by the way other developers do business, they tend to release when they run out of money in a feeble attempt to grab as much cash to keep the lights on. Or their board of directors for their bloated corporation decides it’s time to release to satisfy the shareholders. Thankfully Intrepid doesn’t operate the way these other companies do.
  • Options
    Asgerr wrote: »

Not at all because APOC was bare bones testing of networking and action combat and was developed and managed by a separate team. APOC used assets and features from Ashes. It was basically a just a map with a wall of Corruption. Then you let players in to fight each other with abilities planned to be used in Ashes.
    Quickest and easiest way to get players in testing combat and networking.

2023 is technically possible, but unlikely.
    Especially, with players pushing for nitpicky changes to content that's already been implemented.
    For a 2023 release, I would expect to have Orcs and Tulnar already available in character create.
    Castle sieges will take months for us to test. Node Sieges will take months for us to test. Caravans will take months for us to test. All of the social organizations will take months for us to test.

We're still dealing with similar networking issues in Alpha that plagued us back in 2018...
    Technically, we are still in Alpha One Preview - Alpha One having been pushed back another 2 months...with no guarantee that Alpha One won't get delayed again.
    To hit 2023, the devs would have to have a very tight schedule with almost no margins for further delays.
    They would have to nail all the features on the first or second pass and that is unlikely with everything they hope to accomplish.
  • Options
    87Alex87Alex Member
    I read many posts regarding live release date, tbh realistic and well-explained.
    However i give you my humble opinion: let s see the date of nda alpha full disclosure, it will say a lot about game developing state
  • Options
    MangertMangert Member
    This is my thoughts. Mid 2023 if everything goes on track. Their hiring goes successfully and they get plenty of new people, there aren’t any delays.

Is that gonna happen? Nope! Lol. There are probably gonna be delays and there’s no guarantee their current hiring will go well. They need to higher a lot more people I believe. So REALISTICALLY, we probably gonna hqbe wait till 2024. Although I’d be surprised if it was anything later than like Q3 2024
  • Options
    BlackfordBlackford Member
    edited May 2021
    But......
    I want it NOW!
  • Options
    Blackford wrote: »
    But......
    I want it NOW!

Queue Willy Wonka music
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Options
    Hiya friends - just popping in with a quick reminder here that we haven't announced any upcoming test/release dates beyond Alpha One at this time, so probably best not to confuse some of our newer friends with any speculation <3 tyty!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    @Envoy AKA who knows, but if you set your expectations for a long wait, you will be super excited if it comes out earlier.
  • Options
    Having release dates for a game of a scale of an mmo and especially this big and ambitious as aoc is not really possible because you're gonna encounter many obstacles on the way no matter what.
    Speculations are also hard to make, it might release in 1.5 years or in 2-3 who knows ? we wait and see.
    3hmamy1ekfqy.gif
  • Options
    ZeshioZeshio Member
    I definitely think we're all excited, but having been in a similar space for a variety of games many of us know that it's going to take longer than devs state given normal development roadblocks. It's best to think long game and be patient (or participate in the alphas/betas as you can!)