[Website] The Ashes of Creation website will be down for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at 7:00 a.m. Pacific.

Estimated downtime is 4 hours. During this time, the shop and account login page will be inaccessible. We'll notify you upon completion.
Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Steam

Sorry if this question has been answered, but was wondering if ashes will be released on steam or will it just be on its own stand alone launcher?

Comments

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Stand alone launcher.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • CriminalCupcakeCriminalCupcake Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Because its a good game, hahahaha.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There are MMOs I regret buying through Steam because Steams billing and account services can prevent you from being able to use a stand-alone launcher for a game you bought with steam. FFXIV and SMITE come to mind, but there are others I have experienced with this issue. It might not be completely Steams fault, but this is the result I experience when buying a Steam version of a game. This would not be a big deal if Steam was as reliable as a stand-alone launcher. Steam frequently takes longer to update than games that run with a stand-alone launcher. You also lose the ability to quickly and easier open other games on Steam while running another Steam game. There are times when it would be nice to alt-tab into another Steam game while keeping your current game running, but Steam makes this hard.

I am not saying that Intrepid should not put the game on Steam. It would draw in a larger audience. I am saying I avoid buying MMOs on steam if there is an alternative.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2021
    I would say avoid Steam and any other service like that at all costs but I personally hate steam.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would say avoid Steam and any other service like that at all costs but I personally hate steam.

I don't mind steam but I mainly use GoG , got to love no DRM
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    These systems would be ok. IF I didn't need to have their crap running to play a single player game. The fact I have to have their garbage data collecting trash running to play Fallout 4 or Cyberpunk 2077 is a crime against humanity.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    These systems would be ok. IF I didn't need to have their crap running to play a single player game. The fact I have to have their garbage data collecting trash running to play Fallout 4 or Cyberpunk 2077 is a crime against humanity.

Would running Steam in offline mode fix that?
    No it is still running. the fact it needs to run in order to run any program from there is my problem. I tend to limit buying things from them for this reason. Problem is I really like the Fallout universe. (skipped FO76)
  • AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    It's not going on steam, they made that mistake with Apoc and won't be doing it again.
    No it is still running. the fact it needs to run in order to run any program from there is my problem. I tend to limit buying things from them for this reason. Problem is I really like the Fallout universe. (skipped FO76)

So like...every other launcher out there? You do realize no matter the launcher they're still getting data from you.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

While I do get this point, if you look in to the details of the Apple vs Epic case, one of the things that came out is that Valve really don't use Steam to collect much data - arguably less than they should to just run Steam.

The bulk of the data they do collect is via the hardware survey they do, which they make 100% opt in, and make the results of it public.

Not saying it's perfect, but if you are using any Apple, Google or Facebook products or services at all, you really don't need to worry about Steam.
    Kinda missed the point of running a program just to run another program for the sake of running a program that has no purpose other then being a portal to many other programs.
    Wouldn't be bad if we didn't need to run steam or GoG just to launch a basic of line program.

Glad Intrepid has chosen to be professionals and use their own launcher.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Kinda missed the point of running a program just to run another program for the sake of running a program that has no purpose other then being a portal to many other programs.
    Wouldn't be bad if we didn't need to run steam or GoG just to launch a basic of line program.

Glad Intrepid has chosen to be professionals and use their own program that we need to run in order to run their other program.
    Just saying.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I'm just happy we don't have to use my.com anymore
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • DoctorDoctor Member
    Im just gonna at my opinion, steam is a fine launcher to have your game on, the download speeds from my exp have been better or the same, the steam overlay is a nice feature, having all your games in a simple location is handy, and as mentioned it would bring a larger audience as advertising would be more selected and most people who game only really buy steam gamess, and plus i dont get the big deal with having steam open while you play games it has no real impact, sure they may collect some data but not as much as some companies, plus the data collection would probably benfit in the long run. so i dont really understand your point
  • Jam21Jam21 Member
    edited January 2022
    Having standalone launcher and releasing on Steam are not mutually exclusive.

Why AoC NEEDS Steam to survive? Well just 2 examples: Crowfall and New World.

Crowfall tried to release on their own + in some countries they sold rights to local publishers. And game died before it really started due to insufficient online.

New World was released worldwide on Steam, and despite being of pretty questionable designs (at least, not really any better than Crowfall), they had almost a million concurrent online players at launch.

Almost 70% of NW players were from Steam. Only ~30%, according to their own reports, came from their own platform. And that platform, mind you - Amazon itself.

Steam is a major platform that brings the most crucial thing any MMO needs - PEOPLE.

You can release the game there without even synching Steam accs - as standalone launcher, just downloadable via Steam too. Not releasing any online game on Steam in 2k2x is like shooting yourself and your audience in the leg.
  • I’m not sure how Steam “helped” Crowfall… unless your argument is that by getting more people sooner, it failed faster. It is/was a crap game and earned its fate.

New World could have easily launched on an Amazon DRM and folks would have played it. However, Amazon has the luxury to pay the per unit % to Steam for a sale without a thought at that volume.

SWToR, FFXIV, WoW, RIFT, Neverwinter, DDO, LoTRO, AION, Tera, UO, EQ1&2, and GW2 all launched and lived on non-Steam platforms for years - in some cases decades.

So, no - Steam is not a requirement for success. A good game is.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    What a weird necro
  • arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    AoC not launching on Steam is Intrepid basically making the bet that their product is attractive enough to make people install it through their own client.

And in generall i would say MMO players are willing to jump through extra hoops for their gaming experience, since the time investment is huge and the market is fcked.

I think steam launches are effective for cash grabs (like NW) and expansion marketing launches (like BDO).

If your project doesnt fall into those 4 categories there is no reason to give steam a huge share of your revenue, those costs may end up being pushed onto players and impact the long-term stability of Intrepid studios.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    edited January 2022
    New World had almost a million users at launch because it was the only way to play New World. Unlike other MMORPGs that have a split population between Steam and a Stand Alone launcher, New World was only on Steam. So nearly a million users would be impressive except.

Within the 30 to 60 days post launch they
    dropped to 357,000 peak a 60% loss of peak population
    dropped to 155,000 average a 62% loss of average players

Within 60 to 90 days post launch they
    dropped to 145,000 peak a 84% drop in peak population
    dropped to 83,000 average a 80% % loss of peak population

So New World being on Steam did nothing for its population, player acquisition, or player retention.

Also, where did 30% of people get access to New World not via Steam?
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • arsnn wrote: »
    AoC not launching on Steam is Intrepid basically making the bet that their product is attractive enough to make people install it through their own client.

Well I can only say "good luck with that". Because so far it is not.

AION, Tera and other games that were successful standalone, were launching in age before Steam was a thing, or when it was relatively obscure. Times changed. People no longer will bother with games that do not have representation in popular platforms.
    CROW3 wrote: »
    I’m not sure how Steam “helped” Crowfall… unless your argument is that by getting more people sooner, it failed faster. It is/was a crap game and earned its fate.
    New World could have easily launched on an Amazon DRM and folks would have played it. However, Amazon has the luxury to pay the per unit % to Steam for a sale without a thought at that volume.

:facepalm:

No wonder AoC marketing is repainting clown skins every month or so. Good fit for players like you lol.

Do not get my point wrong - I am not "salty" or "hate the game", I really wish for a good MMO to appear, and AoC still have all the good chances to be the one. But if they fail to attract people, no matter how actually good the game is, it will either die completely or just be reduced to "Mortal-like" with 1000 same diehard fans playing and empty spaces all around.

• Jam21 wrote: »
    No wonder AoC marketing is repainting clown skins every month or so. Good fit for players like you lol.

Hm… ok. 🤷‍♂️

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Jam21 wrote: »
    People no longer will bother with games that do not have representation in popular platforms.

:D I am sure you have done extensive research to fully back up such an audacious claim.

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Secret World Legends is available through Steam and as a stand-alone launcher. I’ve only played it via the stand-alone. For that game at least, you have to transfer your account to Steam and once you do you can never use the other launcher, so I’ve stayed away. Also, you get tied to the Steam wallet for any and all game purchases. And for whatever reason there are a lot more problems with the game via Steam (I can’t say whose fault that is, it might not be Steam’s).

I don’t see the harm in making this available via Steam as long as it’s not exclusive to it.

Hhak63P.png
  • If only there were years and years left to attract new players. Oh, whatever are we to do.

They'll pump up the marketing once they're ready to attract the final playerbase. What we get at the moment is to keep the first few ticking along.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    How many different ways does he have to say it?
    unknown.png

south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • SylvanarSylvanar Member
    edited January 2022

I totally agree with you. I prefer standalone game rather than launching from a platform where all the games are congregated into a mess. Already games are demanding on the system, I don't need my resources being wasted on useless programs being run which do not benefit me. Not to mention I greatly dislike steam UI.

I do play Dota 2 which is on steam but that is because there isnt any other option.
    "Suffer in silence"
  • It makes very little difference to me how I load the game. The only upside of Steam is that I can more easily talk to my Steam Friends while I'm playing.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • It would seem that AoC would want to avoid having to pay Steam a part of the monthly subscription fee. I hope only subscription-based players are the ones AoC lets into the game beyond a short trial thing (if they are planning to do that).
  • Final Fantasy 14 is available on Steam and as a standalone launcher. They have 20 million subscribers. I didn't discover them on Steam. I did play the game on Steam, but that is not how I discovered it. I agree that steam is nice in that you can uninstall and reinstall games from your library to keep hard drive space available and its nice in a digital age to be able download games quickly. I remember when games were on CD and DVD, and it sucked if you disk got scratched. The platform is not when drives the interest, it's the quality of the game. It's the word of mouth telling your friends how much fun you are having. Intrepid doesn't have a publisher and it enjoys the freedom of releasing the best game possible when its ready. If the game is as good as we all hope, you will see some players from games like World of Warcraft, BDO, and FF14 migrate to this game.