Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Unreal Engine 5 in AOC?

Will Ashes of Creation use UE5? I'd love to see it in this game. It looks pretty awesome and a lot easier to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ZnM7CH-v4[/video.]

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No.
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Didn’t Intrepid say that while it’s unlikely, they will look into upgrading to UE5? I’m paraphrasing of course.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    image0.png
  • Options
    Well if they don't use it they should definitely try to copy pasta some of it, I am by no means a developer but that thing looks super convenient to use.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Key part is the “custom” engine changes. That’s kind of the difference from a game that works to one that doesn’t.
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Key part is the “custom” engine changes. That’s kind of the difference from a game that works to one that doesn’t.

They did say that you can import UE4 projects into UE5. So it might be possible
  • Options
    Yes, if you create the whole project in UE4, you can import. Intrepid has written a boatload of code for at least the networking and multiplayer parts. All of that code would have to be tested and validated with UE5 before use.
    Just remember that the first few months of any software release is bug fixes, so we also don't want to add that issue to the Alpha testing that is about to happen.
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »
    image0.png

Ah there it is! Good work
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm happy if they stick with UE4, coz other MMO's have stuck with older engines and survived a decade without major overhauls.

That said, I would be mighty impressed if they can pivot to UE5 - better earlier than later.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    there is a lesser studio who imported UE4 to UE5, they said it was super easy to do, they did it mid development too, and a quote that's a year old doesn't help anyone lol
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    DogHouse wrote: »
    there is a lesser studio who imported UE4 to UE5, they said it was super easy to do, they did it mid development too, and a quote that's a year old doesn't help anyone lol

The issue here is that Intrepid have heavily edited UE4.

There is a fairly large difference between shifting a project from standard UE4 to UE5, and shifting a project from partial UE4, partial custom engine over to UE5.

Also, the age of the quote doesn't alter the difficulty of the task.
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    DogHouse wrote: »

The issue here is that Intrepid have heavily edited UE4.

There is a fairly large difference between shifting a project from standard UE4 to UE5, and shifting a project from partial UE4, partial custom engine over to UE5.

Also, the age of the quote doesn't alter the difficulty of the task.

yeah, such a move would definitely be a signficant setback in their design schedule (for engineering in particular).

Would be amazing though, if they can make full use of UE5's new tech alongside their own - especially if it simplifies their design pipelines.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yes a setback and a cost, but I wonder if future cost and benefit might actually outweigh that..

Rendering capacity, multiple user collaboration capability, lighting improvements.. the list is quite extensive.. and possibly a big and beneficial jump
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If they pivot to ue5 I'm taking Noaani's 2028 estimate. But hey did you see the ray tracing on my elf's shiny forehead with my 12000$ graphics card?
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    JustVine wrote: »
    If they pivot to ue5 I'm taking Noaani's 2028 estimate. But hey did you see the ray tracing on my elf's shiny forehead with my 12000$ graphics card?

you CAN'T hate on raytracing, it's actually so pretty
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I do like it quite a lot. But the price tag on the hardware is currently not yet accessible enough to warrant integration let alone in an mmo. It's the one 2028 thing I think is a valid if semi-shallow and unreasonable expectation of the graphics looking dated. I expect it to become cheap and pervasive by then for new/slightly older.Maybe even 'standard'. But mmos need to reach the widest population possible and that, means 7-10 year old machines.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited September 2021
    They talked about this in the last Development Update. Stephen said they had formed a Task Force to evaluate UE5.

Go to 59:08
    https://youtu.be/tVWJQY8K8NY?t=3548
  • Options
    pyreal wrote: »
    They talked about this in the last Development Update. Stephen said they had formed a Task Force to evaluate UE5.

Go to 59:08
    https://youtu.be/tVWJQY8K8NY?t=3548

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tVWJQY8K8NY?start=3548&quot; title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's why I laughed when the first response on here was "No."...
  • Options
    bigepeenbigepeen Member
    edited September 2021
    To be honest, I don't think they should go to UE5 unless it's very easy to port their custom UE4 backend over. The game probably won't be out until UE6 or UE7 is released, so it's probably better to just wait and do a remaster after release.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 2021
    bigepeen wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't think they should go to UE5 unless it's very easy to port their custom UE4 backend over. The game probably won't be out until UE6 or UE7 is released, so it's probably better to just wait and do a remaster after release.

Well unless Ashes isn't releasing until 2028/2035 then the game will release before UE6/7 releases.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Well if they don't use it they should definitely try to copy pasta some of it, I am by no means a developer but that thing looks super convenient to use.

For Props art its really nice to use the Nano. Cause it avoid the need of a Low Polly model. But for moving assets (Characters) not sure its there yet
  • Options
    It seems to me that moving to EU5 would delay ashes at least by a year - because there are a lot of differences and the custom changes they did especially concerning networking would mean that they would have to go back to making the game work instead of developing the actual game systems
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    A while ago they updated from one version to another and broke a bunch of the game and pushed the alpha back several months and the nerds lost their minds over alpha being pushed back. That was all within UE4.
    I imagine going from UE4.26 to UE5 would break a lot of stuff the devs would have to go back and fix pushing the project back even further.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    A while ago they updated from one version to another and broke a bunch of the game and pushed the alpha back several months and the nerds lost their minds over alpha being pushed back. That was all within UE4.
    I imagine going from UE4.26 to UE5 would break a lot of stuff the devs would have to go back and fix pushing the project back even further.

Personally i wouldnt care about pushing it back for a better End result but Might just be me
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    To a point I agree. However you need to make a call and say this is what we are doing vs constantly chasing new tech that you will never be able to keep up with.
    If the small upgrade within UE4 took a couple months how long would it take with a big upgrade? What is the financial cost as well. Paying devs and everything else that is involved with running a business that has little to no income. Nevermind all of your potential customers waiting for you to quit messing around and launch your product. Like Star Citizen planning to launch somewhere close to 2050 at this point.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Graphics are not that important compared to gameplay. To some degree graphics loses value while stability gains value. Ya as long as they improve as much as makes sense I don't really care that the graphics aren't so good I feel like I'm actually in the game. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to convert high-poly to nanite compatible formats?
  • Options
    using nanite on meshes isnt hard - it is just a question if its properties didnt get messed up in some way

― Plato
  • Options
    truelytruely Member, Alpha One
    I think UE5 at the moment would be a disaster, as people would need super top end PCs to play which would heavily restrict the player no.s but in the future could be nice.
  • Options
    TragnarTragnar Member
    edited October 2021
    truely wrote: »
    I think UE5 at the moment would be a disaster, as people would need super top end PCs to play which would heavily restrict the player no.s but in the future could be nice.

that is actually incorrect, because the technologies they introduce in ue5 is actually improving the quality without additional hw power - so the minimal requirements for ashes wouldnt rise, but the lowest graphics would be better

anyway the problem with ue5 is that they would literally have to get back to the first internal alpha stages fixing everything that the transition broke - which would be an awful lot and the release would be delayed in terms of years and not months

― Plato