Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Tank Armor

I have a request, I'd love if there was at least a similar design to these examples. I just got myself into tanking, and I want to feel like a wall. Leave the armor for knights and fighters. I just want something big, bulky that makes other feel they can't pass through me, just to clarify, I'm not asking to make all the heavy armor like this, but just gives the option to have this armor type in AoC.

unknown.png

e863d56430.png

Comments

• Options
    Can he move?
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    He can FLIP!!!

• Options
    Ah, but can he double flip to greater heights?
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »
    He can FLIP!!!

Dawn of war 3 flash backs
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That is a beefy Dwarf
  • Options
    SmolSmol Member
    That is a beefy Dwarf

That's how Dwarves should look.
  • Options
    ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nuxib Kiin wrote: »
    That is a beefy Dwarf

That's how Dwarves should look.

Careful someone on the forums will tell you its not Steven's vision.
  • Options
    The problem with copying the Dwarves from another game lies with the act of copying itself. I'm going to care a hell of a lot less about the game and the story if they just copy the assets and design from other games by default.

It happens with almost every MMO these days. I do not care a damn about the story about any of the races in most MMOs after WoW and FF14 because it's the same shit over and over. Only those 2 series actually do good writing and the rest are too low quality for me to care.

So to make me care and probably a lot of others like me you are going to have to do things differently than everyone else. It's done with thousands of small changes rather than large changes in this regard. Copying WoW and Warhammer is more likely to make people automatically dislike your story. Which this will be flat out doing rather than make your own style of characters and races.

I'd rather them rebuild the dwarf with their own design than just do the same race I've already seen 100 times in other games. That being because I've seen like 7 MMO's outright try to copy them already and fail miserably so it's a red flag for games now for me. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    SmolSmol Member
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    The problem with copying the Dwarves from another game lies with the act of copying itself. I'm going to care a hell of a lot less about the game and the story if they just copy the assets and design from other games by default.

It happens with almost every MMO these days. I do not care a damn about the story about any of the races in most MMOs after WoW and FF14 because it's the same shit over and over. Only those 2 series actually do good writing and the rest are too low quality for me to care.

So to make me care and probably a lot of others like me you are going to have to do things differently than everyone else. It's done with thousands of small changes rather than large changes in this regard. Copying WoW and Warhammer is more likely to make people automatically dislike your story. Which this will be flat out doing rather than make your own style of characters and races.

I'd rather them rebuild the dwarf with their own design than just do the same race I've already seen 100 times in other games. That being because I've seen like 7 MMO's outright try to copy them already and fail miserably so it's a red flag for games now for me. xD

If we apply this logic, elves, humans and orcs need to be reworked though, so they don't fall into the same thing. They need to look different as well, not fair to only have one race and keep the rest the same.
  • Options
    Nuxib Kiin wrote: »
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »

If we apply this logic, elves, humans and orcs need to be reworked though, so they don't fall into the same thing. They need to look different as well, not fair to only have one race and keep the rest the same.

If they copied the style and lore from any other game. Which they don't. It's completely their unique take on the races so you don't have the point you think ya do. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    I understand the desire to see new ideas in how races look , but there is also a large contingent of players that like the traditional fantasy look of what they grew up on as fantasy fans. Its a fine line to walk making something that might not appeal to a lot players if you change too much on what they like.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    There are several different depictions of each fantasy race - different franchises and different decades.
    Most people will be fine with a depiction that is fairly close to depictions they have seen before, rather than being obsessed with only one depiction.
    Sometimes a change is what becomes "traditional" to the next generation of fantasy fans.
  • Options
    Sometimes a change is what becomes "traditional" to the next generation of fantasy fans.

What change? It always Tolkiens depictions of Elves ,Dwarves and such that gets introduce to new generations of western fantasy fans because Dungeons and Dragons/Pathfinder is the big gateway to this stuff and they don't stray too far from his work. The Lord of the Rings movies are still introducing new people to genre as well. It has not really change much of all in decades. Very few western fantasy IPs have drastic changes to what people come to expect with Toikien races.
  • Options
    There's actually quite a range of depictions of Tolkien Dwarves, from Rankin Bass all the way up to Warhammer Dwarves.
    There's quite a range even among the Dwarves in the Peter Jackson Tolkien films.
    The WoW Elves do not look like Elves in the Peter Jackson Tolkien films.
    WoW Orcs do not look like Orcs in the Peter Jackson Tolkien films.
    Pathfinder Orcs do not look like Orcs in the Peter Jackson Tolkien films.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    800px-vlcsnap-2021-05-03-11h59m28s138.png

Now technically, you missed this one, but they have always promised that there will be similar if not better cosmetics and designs in game.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    There's actually quite a range of depictions of Tolkien Dwarves, from Rankin Bass all the way up to Warhammer Dwarves.
    There's quite a range even among the Dwarves in the Peter Jackson Tolkien films.
    The WoW Elves do not look like Elves in the Peter Jackson Tolkien films.
    WoW Orcs do not look like Orcs in the Peter Jackson Tolkien films.
    Pathfinder Orcs do not look like Orcs in the Peter Jackson Tolkien films.

None of which is so different , that you cant tell what they are or the source materiel that inspired those variations.

WoW Elves still live in trees or in beautiful cities , still have pointy ears and more graceful and leaner then humans.

WoW Orcs are ripoffs of Warhammer Orcs and Gamesworkshop drew a lot of inspiration from Tolkien. Orcs are savage, brutal and look misshapen.

Warhammer Fantasy Dwarves are Tolkien Dwarves , directly inspire by the story.

You can have variations , but its never so drastic to the point you can't tell what you are looking at with those races most of the time. The baseline has stayed the same for a very longtime. Tolkien races is still the traditional look modern fantasy fans come to expect and looks like Ashes is keeping to that.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    And yet, we have a bunch of people saying that that EQ/EQ2 Dwarves and the current Dunir models and the Pathfinder Kingmaker Dwarves are really Gnomes; not Dwarves.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Might tank in light armour if the light armour gives spell mitigation rather than spell attack damage.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    ViBunjaViBunja Member
    And yet, we have a bunch of people saying that that EQ/EQ2 Dwarves and the current Dunir models and the Pathfinder Kingmaker Dwarves are really Gnomes; not Dwarves.
    I think the Gnome part comes from how small they are. When dwarves are more like 4-5 feet tall. Gnomes are like 2-3 feet.

Gnomes have always been smaller than Dwarves.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    The current Dünir models are actually about chest height compared to Kaelar. They seem to be right at 4 feet.
    And most people are complaining that the Dünir are too skinny rather than too short.
  • Options
    Need the naked tank option.
  • Options
    SmolSmol Member
    Need the naked tank option.

I agree with this, as well.