Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Some of my own thoughts of a new MMORPG that the world has never seen before

AsraielAsraiel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
Dear Intrepid Studio

First of all, great Project and great work you're doing on the creation and development of the game Ashes of Creations. Keep up the spirit.

This Topic/Post only serves one purpose. I had over the time of the past years several ideas for a new unique and exciting mmorpg, alldo i lack the knowledge of the entire process of the development and starting a studio, so it stayed only ideas in my head which changed over time to more specific ideas. Now I have decided that this project may be the best shot for one or some of them to become a reality or may only inspire new ideas unknown to me. Even if none does make it, I'm still very excited to play Ashes of Creations.

Several ideas come from other games I've played over the last 2 decades, others originate from isekai animes.

Table of Contents
World Map
Ground behavior
Realistic Water Physics
Realistic environment
Realistic Towns
Collision
Gate Porters during Sieges
Grindable Resources
Mob behavior & respawn
Honor System
Lord System
Guild System
Reincarnation System
Skill System
Closing Words

World Map
It would be sweet to have other than usual in mmorpg seen, having a map that works like a planet so there's no edges if u are moving from the western lands you can travel to the eastern part of the map by traveling to the west, same if u travel north u will end up entering the map on the south again. This brings some unique features with it:
Pro:
distances can be reduced
there's no invisible walls
Con:
later expansion of the map will look awkward

Origin of the idea:
Google Earth, Isekai anime “Log Horizon”

Ground behavior
Usually the ground in mmorpg is just a texture but what if the world gas a 2 meter thick layer of sand/dirt on it so that heavy explosions may cause a impact hole on the ground that partly shapes the surface during combat especially during sieges or bosses so that the very ground may change to get a more realistic experience in combat and also more tactics with it. This effect alldo only applies to normal ground not to solid grounds like rocks or streets as well inside cities that have solid rock streets. In the open the dirt roads may be used so much that they also behave as solid. Maybe the ground may also get affected by heavy spells. But since the layer itself is only 2 meters thick it has a limit on how deep impact holes may get and also to prevent digging holes by multiple impacts on the same spot. the holse themself refill over the time of 1-2 ingame days so they disappear.

Realistic Water Physics
Adding a realistic way to display water other than being only a texture and a pool or as many maps in games are just islands on an ocean of water. so that if it rains rivers getting bigger and rivers have a physical effect on the player. also a difference between sweet and salt water.

Realistic environment
I always found it sad in mmorpg that the environments are alldo ecstatically nice to watch but doesn't seem realistic. Like Forests that are a few trees with a lot of space between them. I recently played the game “Valheim” where i can say: “That's a forest” here a screenshot of it: [img][/img]. Shure Spots with NPC’s are still nice to be created as it's currently done.
Mountains also would be nice to look like real in most mmorpg they have a wavelike shape like they were made out of goo. but it would be nice if they also have vertical cliffs or even overhangs that the textures and shapes are sharp: [img][/img].

Realistic Towns
Towns and settlements being as vintage european style, small passages roads and not 8 line wide interstates as the mainstreet.

Collision
Within Settlements/Towns or around quest Objects and merchants there is a no collision zone so that player can freely move around in case of sieges however the no collision zones getting disenabled. The no collision zone is a circular sphere around the object of no collision.

Gate Porters during Sieges
During Sieges the NPC that does allow friendly players teleport thru gates is active as a one click or maybe even the gate itself does it by simply running into the gate it teleports the player thru. from inside to outside, to get in ether a npc or the gate itself needs to be clicked to start the teleport.

Grindable Resources
Grindable Resources are often a tree here a tree there visual easy to post once you know how it looks. but in combination the Realistic environment it would be nice to have forests or quarries where the player can harvest more freely but has a limitation to it cause the trees doesn't just respawn, they need to grow and only maybe 50% of them can be harvested at once so the forest may not disappear so if players farm a lot of trees in one forest they may reach the limit and then they have to wait or farm somewhere else until the trees have regrown which may take a few ingame days. for minerals since they do not grow (naturally) it could be made that the harvest site is a mine exit where from time to time lores will be emptied to give access to fresh minerals or earthquakes that occur from time to time. For parts of plants like berries or nuts they also have to regrow on the plants again and for animals they repopulate over time especially for fishes. Other Animals respawn is part of the next post.

Mob behavior & respawn
Mobs currently have a spawn spot and stay there until getting aggroed and when it dies or resets the agro it returns to the given spot. but it would be nice to have an area where they spawn and then also slowly move around, like from the current position it has a circular area where it can respawn and move around and these zones overlap so that sometimes it can be that several Mobs are close together. the respawn itself is out of the players sight with enough environment objects to hide the Mob it should be possible to achieve it as well the players viewing direction. Mob respawn speed should be set in a way that a few players 3-4 can endlessly kill but the more more Mobs are dead at the same time the respawn gets slower until a certain amount is reached. The more alive the faster the respawn gets again until it reaches its max again.

Here I also like to link it to the game “Valheim '' where the majority of the Mobs does spawn out of sight of the player, which adds a more realistic feeling to the game. Combined with the spawn area it prevents players from spawn camping since they need to be more active to find the Mob.

Honor System
In my Ideas i also had it that the game of my dreams has multiple kingdoms aldo they were controlled by NPCs. By completing a quest of a certain kingdom the player would receive as an additional reward honor points of this kingdom but by getting more honor in one kingdom they would lose honor in opposing kingdoms. The honor itself does unlock some options within the given kingdom, such as permission to own land, build a house or even a small castle getting access to special quests where a certain amount of the honor is required to accept it, some special items gear, weapons and stuff that get unlocked on merchants or special merchants. so the player can buy the armor skin of the kingdom compared to its honor rank.
But honor isn't something permanent. If you fail a quest you will lose honor, after a certain amount (rank) you will lose daylie an amount of points so that change can happen and other players also have a chance to get to the rank you had. Ranks itself are limited to the higher positions. And as mentioned in opposing kingdoms ur honor gets dropped, at some points killing you might be even a part of a honor quest of an opposing kingdom.

The Honor System may also support some items as Honor bound. If the honor drops under a certain amount the item itself becomes useless to the character. Some items might be teleport to the capital spellscroll or reduction of xp penalty.

Lord System
As an addition to the Honor System comes at high ranks the Lord system. That would allow high Honored players to own a castle and a small settlement within the Kingdom where the Player accs as the Landlord and can set what merchants sell getting taxes can to rent rooms and houses within its land area. but also has to make sure to keep the Mobs and resources controlled also by giveing out quests.

Guild System
The Guild can rent a part in the Guildhall where they can decorate it as pleased and also can manage the guild globally. the Guildhall gives access to the Guild money across the kingdom and Within the rented rooms the Guild lead can set Merchants and Quests for its members to buy stuff or doing Quests as special reward of quest comes Guild points that can be used on merchants to buy items from the guild. or can be used to get access to some sub ranks. the more u do for your guild the more “power” u will get within aldo only to a certain point. access to guild bank or the higher ranks are still managed by the usual guild system. The merchant only can sell what the guild vault has in it, so with the setting the lead can set up what the members can buy with guild points and what rank is needed to buy it. The guild vault is local so in every city where the guild has rented a room in the local guildhall they have a vault only the ingame currency is accessible globally any other goods needs to be transported between the vaults.

The guild System also supports some items (in particular gear) as guild bound. Once leaving the guild the Character can no longer use the item.

Reincarnation System
Characters can reach after Reaching the Level Cap additional bonus Levels. The amount of bonus level reached does matter once the Player decides to reincarnate the character. This means the character gets reset to lvl 1 the chosen class remains but the 2nd class chosen will be removed. He then has the opportunity to give its character an increase of its base stats, the amount of points he can spend depends on the amount of bonus levels he had achieved before the reincarnation. alldo the more points he has already obtained from future reincarnations will make it harder for him to get more points up to the point of almost impossible to get more. Through the increase of the base stats he also unlocks the possibilities to unlock some skills that aren't related to its prime and subclass coise. So by skilling in some ways he can get accsess to heal, revive, dmg or other skills but this also comes with the handicap that those skills will never have the same power as if unlocked by class selection.

Skill System
Skills Unlocks over leveling up the character but once they have been unlocked they support more features, since they level up as they been used to decrease cast times, mana consumption, increase dmg, speed and so on and after some level ups on the skill they open an alternative path of the skill were it may no longer need to be casted but does less dmg. and maybe even a 3rd path aldo each separate path has its limits if the main path has 10 levels and the 2nd path opens at level 4 then the 2nd path only can reach level 6 and by using it the mainpat doesn't level up.

Closing Words
Thanks for your time and I hope some points might have inspired you. As mentioned this is a Post/Topic just to give access to some of my own thoughts of a new MMORPG that the world has never seen before. I wouldn't refer to the content as suggestions for Ashes of Creation by itself. Either way if non get in the game i’m happy if some makes it in somehow i'm happy as well.

Regards Asraiel

Comments

• Options
    The pictures are missing so here they are:
    Forest example:
    Valheim_Forest.png
    And Mountain example:
    765980-artwork-castles-drawings-fantasy-art-mountains-rivers.jpg
  • Options
    Addition

Since Flying mounts will be heavly limited in numbres and the distances between nodes will be long adding a:

Rent a Fly merchant to a town where players can rent a flying mount and travel with it (automated) to another preselected Town with the vanilla flightspeed. so every player can expirience how it is to fly themself. and since its sais Town i mean a certain node level and only between those nodes travel is possible. once a siege is announced to a node that would have been a desination it will be removed from the travel list. so defencders and attackers have mo make it on their own to the node.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Asraiel wrote: »
    Addition

Since Flying mounts will be heavly limited in numbres and the distances between nodes will be long adding a:

Rent a Fly merchant to a town where players can rent a flying mount and travel with it (automated) to another preselected Town with the vanilla flightspeed. so every player can expirience how it is to fly themself. and since its sais Town i mean a certain node level and only between those nodes travel is possible. once a siege is announced to a node that would have been a desination it will be removed from the travel list. so defencders and attackers have mo make it on their own to the node.

Disagree completely. Flying is meant for the people who put in the most work (mayors) and should not be for everyone
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    its a mentioning for a travel system complaetly diffrent as u might have interpretet it the mount will not be playercontrolled. mayors and others that will have the mount will have full controll over it those that rent a fly need to set the destination and then if fly them there once reched the destination they get auto dismounted and the mount returns tinto that travelers merchant shop of the destination town.

so no posing showing off or move around freely as u might have interpretet it.
    and the post here are prior a way for me to give imputs for insiration to the creators. what will or what will not aint decided by me or you or someone other than the staff of Intrepid studios.

hope this does clear it out a bit better to what it ment.

Regards
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Well we have that in the level 6 science nodes with airships

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Public_transportation#Faster_travel
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    ah i see i see only heard of teleport withing a sciens metropole node and area. never heard of a travel system beween nodes
  • Options
    but in my opinion it would still be nice to have such a rent a fly option who knows if the server will ever have 2 sciencs metropoles. but as said if all the needed restriction that the mount aint playercontrolled and disapears aftter the travel (maybe with even a non flashy optical design)