Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

In game poll

EathanEathan Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
So, I am not a giant fan of taking things from other games, but how does the community feel about having in game poll booths near banks, or other high traffic areas, that would allow the community to vote in game on future updates to the game. As an example Oldschool Runescape currently does this. I think it has it's up and downs but overall I think it allows the game to update the game consistently but not at a rate that would make the game worse. Lmk what you guys think
Eathanbanner.png

Comments

• tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I do not think that this is a good idea.

One reason is that the player base can be fickle. They may not understand the basic premises of the game. Many of them like Pay-2-win. Lots of them are only in the game for a short time. Quite a few of them would want AoC to just be an imitation of other games. Some are just idiots.

No, the game should not be run on short term opinions, I have much more trust in Steven's long term goals.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    If y'all were allowed to vote on features you would vote this game into WOW with better graphics.

BIG NO for me, on this.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • FerniFerni Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I prefer to have a forum like this where you can share your opinion and discuss with other players to let devs get feedback and decide the best direction for the game.
  • KesarakkKesarakk Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I have two problems with this. First, you have now created mob rule where 51% of the player base is deciding what the other 49% of players can do. This turns a community toxic and eventually fractures something that once brought us together. You also have to factor in implications. Players have zero risks, other than a monthly sub, and so wouldn't think in the long term of how the game is going to evolve. This leads to the other problem.

Second, you have removed the burden of responsibility from developers. When developers absolve themselves of responsibility, quality goes down. They are no longer concerned about making a game that is long-lasting, but rather what they can give players to keep them around for just one more month. When a game gets to that state, you have now opened the path to pay-to-win and cash grabs.

Sometimes, players are their own worst enemies. No developer is perfect, but they are paid to keep us mostly happy with their product. That is their risk and what keeps them honest. I personally believe in Intrepid Studios and Steven's design decisions. What makes them even better is giving us forums to discuss design decisions and to test the market to make sure they are on the right path. This gives me so much hope for the future of the MMO genre.
  • JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think there are so many forms of communication available already (and the game isn't even out yet) that adding in more places/systems for employees to manage would just add an unnecessary burden. The staff is super active on the discord so quick comments or suggestions are great there, and more in depth or wordy things always have a home on the forum.

I also think it'll be hard on some players to get around to using the in-game system if it's a physical object anyways because there will be those who spend all their time sailing the seas, or avoiding towns, etc etc. I think it'd eventually get ignored or not utilized enough to make it worthwhile.

If anything, I hope they continue the Dev Discussion type threads even after launch. Based on the Community Team they currently have I see them doing great things to keep player feedback/engagement going