Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Active blocking (For Shield Holders)

Just thought I'd post to see if anyone was in the same mindset - Active blocking while having a shield equipped.

I know this has been covered by the devs, citing that according to their research most people don't use the 'block' function in-game. But I think in the role of a shield tank, this couldn't be more wrong.

But as a hardcore tank, I don't think anyone can top the feeling of successfully blocking and mitigating incoming damage through skill and timing - and not just relying on the additional stats/buffs that having a shield offers you. I.e. increased block chance.

The most recent gamedev stream supports this to an extent. Even though Steven had a shield equipped, it did not feel like it was actually being 'used'. The gameplay with the mace was fantastic, but the shield just felt like an accessory.

Like any good weapon, it should have a function - otherwise you feel like you're holding a handbag into battle.

P.s. This probably would have helped with the stun locks..

Thoughts?

Well done so far AOC!

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2021
    I think there should be an active block but I would prefer Dodge, Sprint and Active Block to share the same stamina pool. Stamina isn't in the game at the moment. I'd rather have active resource management and added skill than a simple casted ability.

Edit: If you add Active Block, you will need to add Block Breakers too though. You can't have an overpowered mechanic in PvP unless people have the ability to counter act the abilities. There should be trinkets or some other method of breaking CCs too. I understand there will be CC Mitigation but it would be nice to regain some control. PvP is all about control. PvE is also about control.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 2021
    They mentioned they faced a problem with active blocking. I hope they find a way to implement it successfuly.

We are not sure yet how weapons will work and if they will have active abilities. Nothing concrete shown yet, just the auto atk and the concept of point allocation for class skill amplifiers based on weapon equiped (the bleed/dagger mentioning). I hope we get to have a few active weapon skills.

Back to blocking, I'd like it to be a Tank and Fighter exclusive feature, with tank being able ro use block better.
    Similalry, roll dodge should be a rogue and fighter feature, with the rogue being better at it. Or even archer.

Other people have mentioned other ideas about the other classes, but I enjoy block and dodge in action combat mmos, so there's my two cents.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Obviously, block and dodge are powerful combat tools and that is why mmos with good combat have the stamina bar, which is smaller than the mp bar in order to restrict the usage of block and dodge.

In tera online, the tank class would consume less stamina when blocking than the warrior class and maybe even have a larger stamina pool. That was a good design.
  • Options
    I really like the concept of active blocking...I believe it would benefit the game to have itimplemented
  • Options
    McShaveMcShave Member
    Active blocking worked well in Tera, I would like to see it in Ashes too.
  • Options
    Something like Skyrim's blocking system sounds good to me.
    It's so very simple and intuitive.
  • Options
    McShaveMcShave Member
    Blackford wrote: »
    Something like Skyrim's blocking system sounds good to me.
    It's so very simple and intuitive.

They tried that in ESO. I never could get into the game, but I heard the combat is glitchy/ gimmicky which i don't know if that relates to blocking. But Skyrim blocking was good.