Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

My simple suggestions for Sieges upgrade.

HaylashHaylash Member
edited May 2021 in General Discussion
Hi everybody, Im new on this forum and Im happy to know we have similar passion with the games. I would like to share with u some random ideas.

So, firstly. It would be nice to see BIG ASS siege machines like Siege Golems from Lineage 2 and stuff like that.
Also, it seems like there is too little options to break into the castle. So some of them would be:
dig underneath the wall, moving into the sewers, siege towers, ladders

And ofc some options to defense:
building traps, pits, palisade etc.

Also, some castles could be even bigger (+higher). It comes from the fact, that castle sieges would contain 250 players on each side. Bigger castle = bigger immersion and less fps drop (peoples are more spreaded and are focusing on different things in other places).

And last idea that comes to my mind, is to add a special sfx when in siege you are away from the battle and (or) when two big groups of players clashes (like 50 vs 50 players). U know, hearing the peoples screaming, clash of swords and shields or even chants etc. Ofc this feature may cause some problems, because there is music, and obviously in game sound effects. But I believe this "background" sfx could be somehow balanced and made to appear in right time and place (and make it quieter/echoing when it needs to be).
Example of background sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EspwQ6Phw0g

Cheers and good luck with the development. Fingers crossed!

Comments

• Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Haylash welcome to the forums!

Those are some cool ideas.
    It seems to me like it was already difficult enough for them to keep track of 3 entry points, but I think the idea of sewers and other options would be amazing!
    Tunnelling under the walls sounds like an option that should take a long time, and require some accuracy about where you surface.

I would like to see more interesting architecture inside the castle - a palace garden with cloisters or more choke points? At the moment, it seems like the tactics for seiging are still being explored so the difficulty of defending vs attacking is up in the air.

It also makes sense to me if there are multiple paths to the throne room, and defenders can decide which paths to booby-trap and which paths they want to use to get out of the castle.
    This would add variety to what happens once you breach the castle walls.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Options
    Also I've always dreamed of secret passageways inside castles.
    Please? :)
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    8 Summoners can already summon a Golem for PvP.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think the tunnel idea would be interesting.

One thing that L2 & ESO fights had once the walls were breached was a three dimensiality to fighting within the castle grounds. There were upper tiers to some throne rooms and fighting was from front, sides and from above.

Further, ESO and even the new Hood: Outlaws & Legends had various items that provided potential concealment for individuals and/or small groups within the castle that provided some tactical use.

I hope elements like these get developed as the play testing gets feedback and the overall design gets honed.
  • Options
    As for the L2 Golem, great idea, very high cost to the guild that summoned it (from memory) but not so effectual. Shame when it was proposed, I thought it was going to be a fantastic inclusion
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    From the playtesting, I thought control of the gates to open and close again might be an interesting strategic inclusion.. let a small amount of force through, then quickly close the gates again and overwhelm them!
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    From the playtesting, I thought control of the gates to open and close again might be an interesting strategic inclusion.. let a small amount of force through, then quickly close the gates again and overwhelm them!

:O DRAWBRIDGES!! PLEASE!
    Or gates that can squish people who get caught under them >:)
  • Options
    The other thing to keep in mind - the wall-climbing ability is supposed to be coming... that has sooo many opportunities for interesting tactics.
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    The other thing to keep in mind - the wall-climbing ability is supposed to be coming... that has sooo many opportunities for interesting tactics.

Yeah.. that being limited with number of attempts to climb over and/or perhaps limited to particular classes that can climb and then couple that with capacity to open gates would be a winner for me!
  • Options
    maouw wrote: »
    akabear wrote: »

:O DRAWBRIDGES!! PLEASE!
    Or gates that can squish people who get caught under them >:)

/ signed!
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Also we should have visible damage on castle structures like walls and gates varying by % of damage taken. Untouched, damaged, breaking, shattered statuses etc
  • Options
    FerniFerni Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the ideas!

I would like that the "sfx siege background" was naturally generated by the players skills sounds or made in some way it doesn't sound artificial.
    If you hear a sword hitting a shield it would be cool that it was literally a enemy sword hitting on your teammate shield and not a random sound in the background.
  • Options
    Ferni wrote: »
    I like the ideas!

I would like that the "sfx siege background" was naturally generated by the players skills sounds or made in some way it doesn't sound artificial.
    If you hear a sword hitting a shield it would be cool that it was literally a enemy sword hitting on your teammate shield and not a random sound in the background.

As much as I would love this - a big part of the ruckus is warcries, yelling, screaming, dying etc. but I kindof don't want that to be actually generated when I swing a sword :sweat_smile: