Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Node Siege Choices?

I saw a decent post (reddit) about node destruction after sieges, are they set in stone about the node destruction after a siege? I would be interested in choices. The trio of choices I saw and interested me were, Capture, Sack, and Raze.

Capturing would be like taking over the node and assuming control for the attackers, they would likely have to repair the node as well

Sack would be taking a large amount of resources but leaving the node overall intact, I could see this being a way for enemies to attack without commitment of destroying the entire node

Raze would be how it would be now, complete destruction to make room for other nodes in the area to grow or just to shove the enemies face in the dirt a bit more with defeat.

I love the node system either way but I do always love me some more choices to be made. I suppose with this is list of options is who gets to make the choice.

My first ever forum post please be gentle

Comments

• bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Welcome to the forums.
    Nodes lock out content of their near by nodes. In order to access that content the nodes have to be sieged/destroyed.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Nodes
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Sack is always an option. After a successful siege you can attack freeholds in its ZOI and loot resources (not completed items). Capturing is too difficult as you'd need to deal with citizenship, mayoral stuff etc. In general when they are planning 250 vs 250, who gets to decide if you capture, sack or raze? Too complex imo. Destruction of nodes is a very important part of AoC ecosystem for us to experience new content, it would not be good to stifle that.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

perhaps a parallel to 'Capture' would to put your own guild's candidate up foe the next mayoral contest? In military nodes it will be a series of PvP matches to determine the mayor. Doubtless in some nodes certain guilds will try to fix the outcomes, but the best skilled player can win.

So we really do have those options the OP mentioned. Destroy by siege, Sack the freeholds as @neuroguy says, and Capture the mayor position.
  • tautau wrote: »
    So we really do have those options the OP mentioned. Destroy by siege, Sack the freeholds as @neuroguy says, and Capture the mayor position.

Sacking freeholds is only permitted after a successful siege for a short window of time. Becoming mayor requires citizenship which is mutually exclusive from the conditions of declaring a siege on the node.
  • tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You are right on both! But if you become mayor, then there was no need to siege to take over the node....you did it 'politically' not militarily. Sorry I didn't explain well.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You have to be a citizen to become a mayor and a citizen cannot siege their own Node.
    If you aren't a citizen, you could try to declare a siege and hope you win the siege, progress the Node to Stage 3 and then have the requirements to become mayor. Sure.
  • tautau wrote: »
    You are right on both! But if you become mayor, then there was no need to siege to take over the node....you did it 'politically' not militarily. Sorry I didn't explain well.

Ah, ok. My understanding from the OP was that they were interested in a choice after winning a siege, like in a Civ game.
  • LomeloLomelo Member
    I was thinking having the choice after winning a siege but I think either would work. I can agree capturing could cause a weird situation with how the authority of said node would transfer and such. I still see potential for Sacking or Razing though. Sacking being a choice instead of just destroying the Node, getting good loot from PvP, and bragging rights. Razing being what we have now for making sure we have a way for other Nodes to come up or just shoving an enemy's face in the dirt.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What ever the system does work out to be, I am sure if there are any loop holes they will be exploited until closed!
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sacking is basically what happens if you don't raze the Node but destroy some of the buildings and services.
    Razing is what happens when you destroy the Node.