Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is your view on the current "basic attack" animation?

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
I am very pleased to see such amazing progress on all areas we have seen recently. But one feature has been bothering me since apocalypse, the basic attack animation. To be clear, I think this basic attack system is better than the normal auto attack system, but the animation and execution of it is in my opinion bad. In apocalypse, it was kinda okay, since it was not an MMO. But now I see that it has kept it's way into the MMO and the "general idea" of it seems to be here to stay. I believe you should rework the animation/feel of the basic attack. Or should I say, make basic attacks basic again

There are two main reasons for me thinking they look bad and these are:

1. Too acrobatic and or excessive - Like seriously, it's a basic attack. Currently, clicking autoattack multiple times with many weapons looks weird. The character starts to spin around and doing all kinds of weird excessive animations. These animations can never have weight to them or feel meaningful, because the character flies around like a ninja on crack doing them.

2. Repetitive - Look at footage when players start autoattacking with a staff or sword. The characters do the same unrealistic, paper weight combo over and over again. First they swing from the right, then from the left... and then oqwjheoqwhejoiuqw super duper mega spin of fantasy power. After this it just repeats endlessly.

Why is this a problem?
You at Intrepid probably heard a million times that combat looks clunky and weird. I know it's alpha, but your philosophy on spammy hyper acrobatic spinning while doing autoattacks is one reason for the weird combat feeling. Also, an extremly important factor while designing martial games with weapons is the feeling of the weapon. Currently, the feeling your projecting is hyper light, paper like weapons.

How can this be reworked/improved?
Make autoattacks basic again. A basic attack should be that, basic. It is a swing of the sword, a bash with a mace, a hit with a staff and a stab/slash of a dagger. Sure, variation in basic attack is important. But make them less excessive, put different weight to the attacks instead of spinns, backflips and acrobatics. Ill link an example of what i deem to be top tier animations for a weapon.

Any inspiration from other games?
Look at games that became legendary for their combat system. For example dark souls. Their basic attack animations are majestic, powerful, beautiful and meaningful, but yet, so simple. Below, Ill link the animations connected to the long sword from dark souls.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=EPZ1O4erecU&ab_channel=ZombieHeadzZombieHeadz

Should there be basic attack combos at all?
Indeed they can be used, if done corrently. Tapping Q with balanced breaks between each tap should simply repeat 3-5 basic hit animations. without combo.

Hitting Q quickly could start a combo that affected your movement a little. For example, if you start hitting basic attack and the enemy dodges while your basic attacking quickly tapping Q again repetedly could start a small attack combo that moves you a little bit forward. But remember, dont make it excessive.

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2021
    I find the basic attack a bit over the top.
    I also find their aninations too quick; funny looking instead of cool.

As to their function, we will have to wait and see.

Tera online did great basic attacks. They were very useful and I used them a lot.

I hope AoC never goes the direction of ESO when it comes to basic attacks.

*dark souls could be a good inspiration for basic attacks. They have weight, look simple yet impressive.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It slaps.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Looks better to me than Pantheon combat.

I'm pretty sure combos are tied to Weapon Abilities, but the Weapon Ability skill tree is currently disabled.
  • Options
    ConradConrad Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2021
    I agree, animations might be over the top.

I think the animations, just like the graphics, should be more realistic. Dragon Age Origins does ability animations well for example.
  • Options
    Not that worried about the animations for Alpha. I expect them to work that out prior to launch.
  • Options
    Not that worried about the animations for Alpha. I expect them to work that out prior to launch.

Still should give feedback about them so that they don't think the over the top theme for animations is fine
  • Options
    The over-the-top animations are fine.
  • Options
    SeloSelo Member
    Dont like the spamming and whats more, im a bit worried "weaving" in those attacks will be a requirement to maximize DPS.
    Would rather have normal autoattacks, i mean the only differance really is that you spamclick your leftmousebutton now instead of it beeing auto.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • Options
    Selo wrote: »
    Dont like the spamming and whats more, im a bit worried "weaving" in those attacks will be a requirement to maximize DPS.
    Would rather have normal autoattacks, i mean the only differance really is that you spamclick your leftmousebutton now instead of it beeing auto.

Actually, they plan to or already did change it to just holding the button for attacking.
  • Options
    I really don't like the basic attacks. They are way too flashy, wide-ranged, and fast. I Would prefer them way slower, without any effects, and more pointy. Effects could be added as an indicator for enchantments, buffs, or dot-appliers.
    I like the idea of weaving them in between more impactful and resource/CDdepended abilities.

• Options
    Mmmn. I guess I'd say the basic attacks are a bit too fast.
    "Way slower" evokes images of Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen slow - which terrifies me.
    Maybe a bit faster than WoW would be OK.
    I like the speed of Valheim combat.
  • Options
    Taygon1999Taygon1999 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I really don't like moving forward with the basic attack. Especially annoying when you line up a few to kill at once.
  • Options
    Agreed 100%. Very good and detailed post. A lot of their style in general is a little over the top. Idk why they are going for such flashy movements with every attack. We want heavy, realistic and impactful hits. I’m so glad you used Dark souls as an example. That game has hands down the best feel for realistic weapon animations in a fantasy setting.
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    I agree with your post entirely, I know we will have more variation and polish once its finished, but right now seeing 20 people meleeing a boss like hyperactive monkeys with all kinds of sparkles and effects its worrying. I hope they take a look at it and reevaluate, and I say this as someone who LOVED the non NDA alpha.
  • Options
    ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Obviously they are doing a combat revamp so I wouldnt be too worried about the animations, however I think alpha 1 is the perfect time to address these issues as it gives the devs the most time possible to implement change.

Things I didnt really enjoy much were
    Way to many flashy animations for basic auto attacks

Attacks were way to fast and holding down a key for basic/auto attack was pretty annoying

Melee attacks moving your character forward and locking you into an animation feels horrible, and will turn alot of people off playing melee sadly, especially in pvp

• Options
    I personally do not like that you can spam magic attacks with the wand and seemingly destroy the mobs with no hassle. Not sure if this will be looked at and/or changed, but in my opinion it should be more challenging/slower, or it is to be the way it is now, it should then consume at least a little bit of MP.
  • Options
    I think the Wand being OP is very recent?
    I expect it to be rebalanced fairly soon.
  • Options
    CorpierCorpier Member
    edited July 2021
    I'd like to see basic attacks look a bit more grounded in reality. However, it is a fantasy game, and I am absolutely fine with somewhat over-the-top animations. An extra flourish here and there, or a 360 degree spin at the end of an attack chain wouldn't hurt anything. Stylized combat isn't a bad thing. Twirling, sliding, and jumping every other second like a dancer when fighting doesn't look or feel satisfying.

I'm not a fan of the speed of the current basic attack animations. Especially how the first attack of some of the 1-handed weapons are doing 2 motions in the same amount of time as other attacks in the attack chain doing 1 motion. I could understand double speed strikes for the animation of an ability with a short cooldown, but not for a basic attack. I also don't like how far forward characters move with each melee attack. I don't like the forward movement in general and would rather it not be there, but can understand it staying. Taking a step forward gives momentum to attacks. Which is important for adding force when trying to hit something in real combat. So the forward movement does add some realism and "weight" to the combat, but the rate at which characters currently move forward when attacking makes it look more like they are sliding than stepping, and gameplay-wise it probably makes it difficult for a player to control their positioning when attacking. Personally, I'd like to see the forward movement reduced by at least half the current distance.

I'm totally on board with combat appearing more grounded in reality. Animations grounded in realism tend to appear more relatable, engaging, visceral, and satisfying (in my opinion), but some seem to misunderstand realism as being slow and clunky. I don't think making everything extra slow or robotic is the answer either. For example, I don't think Dark Souls is a good place to take inspiration from. Dark Souls is as over-the-top in the opposite direction of unrealistic that Ashes is currently. Where Ashes currently is too fast and isn't constraining motion to human limitations, the weight and speed of combat in Dark Souls is ridiculously slow and mechanical. Real swords were (and are) usually 2-5 pounds with even the biggest being relatively light and fast, but Dark Souls makes it look like 20 pound objects are being lugged around instead of practical weapons. I've swung real 2-handed greatswords, Dark Souls animations look closer to what it would be like to swing a barbell.

Personally, I think real combat techniques would be a great starting place for making visually satisfying animations. Nothing like mo-cap is even needed, just some Youtube videos of experts doing HEMA or something. Then mix&match, exaggerate, and modify the real techniques to make a cool looking style of fantasy combat.
  • Options
    Wands look great, melee attacks need to be a bit slower, the current ones look like dagger speed attacks. Melee attacks should also probably not have flashy particles flying out of them if they are not magical weapons or special spells that use the weapon.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    I'm not a fan with the over the top animation. I'd also like it to be a little slower.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• Options
    The wand attacks remind me of Harry Potter.

Melee attacks seem fast but remind me of sparkler tails when moving or glow sticks on ropes with all the flare in the attacks and their current pace.
  • Options
    Tbh, I think only upper body should be animation locked / and if you're not moving, your legs have a set "stance". I dunno, I just don't think standing still will work for an action combat mmo. Unless... full animation lock with tab targeting? 🤔
  • Options
    BigdawgBigdawg Member
    edited July 2021
    Corpier wrote: »
    I'm totally on board with combat appearing more grounded in reality. Animations grounded in realism tend to appear more relatable, engaging, visceral, and satisfying (in my opinion), but some seem to misunderstand realism as being slow and clunky. I don't think making everything extra slow or robotic is the answer either. For example, I don't think Dark Souls is a good place to take inspiration from. Dark Souls is as over-the-top in the opposite direction of unrealistic that Ashes is currently. Where Ashes currently is too fast and isn't constraining motion to human limitations, the weight and speed of combat in Dark Souls is ridiculously slow and mechanical. Real swords were (and are) usually 2-5 pounds with even the biggest being relatively light and fast, but Dark Souls makes it look like 20 pound objects are being lugged around instead of practical weapons. I've swung real 2-handed greatswords, Dark Souls animations look closer to what it would be like to swing a barbell.

In some cases I can see what you mean. Overall it’s a very good baseline to start with because we have no idea what type of attack speed buffs might exist in the game. Something like a rapier or dagger should definitely be quicker than the heavier weapons. I do really like the weight of the giant two handed weapons in Dark Souls. Great sword move set feels right for how heavy they appear. My only criticism is that I think you should not be able to wield it with one hand. It’s a two handed weapon. It was kinda wonky looking when people would dual wield two great swords.

• Options
    McShaveMcShave Member
    edited July 2021
    Conrad wrote: »
    Tbh, I think only upper body should be animation locked / and if you're not moving, your legs have a set "stance". I dunno, I just don't think standing still will work for an action combat mmo. Unless... full animation lock with tab targeting? 🤔

Steven said they are working to try to implement this, and I am excited to see it. Will make combat feel a lot smoother

Also I agree that attacks shouldn't lock your character, especially move you as well. And I'm not sure about the light that shows up on the sword swing. As an MMO, it is good. As an rpg it is bad.
  • Options
    My view is the same for everything right now. If it's something they haven't addressed, ask. If it's something they have addressed, reserve judgement until Beta.
  • Options
    Simply voicing my agreement on the problem of excessive nature of the basic attacks in terms of animations, particle effects and speed as well as characters being locked down during attacks or the lack of instant cast abilities that you can peform mid air etc.
  • Options
    MarkuneMarkune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Slightly cumbersome compared to what it could be in it's current form. I reserve judgement at least until we hit Beta. There is no reason to believe the adjustments between now and then will not polish this into a non-issue.

• Options
    RidielRidiel Member
    I agree with above stated that the animation is too excessive and fast. Also I believe that simple attack with no forward motion (if you don't combine it with moving forward intentionally) is better than being forced to move forward like it is atm. Especially since the forward motion is also pretty excessive now.
  • Options
    TotiToti Member
    edited July 2021
    I talked to a lot of players during the alpha 1 weekend. The number one thing people disliked was the melee attack animation lock which also moves your character forward.

I made a small list of problems with this implementation of melee attacks:
    • the animation lock removes the full control over your character and the character moves without giving a move command
    • it’s hard to control the attack cone (cleave) when fighting multiple enemies. You have to move backwards over and over between attacks because the animation pushes you forward
    • with ranged weapons you can move in any direction while attacking but they still feel impactful because you are slowed during the attack. With melee weapons you can only move forward
    • you can’t attack an enemy and avoid dangerous mechanics that are close to the enemy. Let’s say there’s hazardous terrain, a trap or another mechanic that you shouldn’t step into right under an enemy. Your melee attack will push you into it if you don’t keep backpedaling between attacks
    • pvp: animation lock for melee attacks might be fine for a pure action-combat because it makes it harder to hit and balances out that it’s hard to aim with ranged weapons. But in tab-combat locking melee characters in animation and allowing ranged characters who always hit automatically to move while attacking puts melee at a disadvantage

I really don't know what the best implementation is but I don't think it's one that includes locking your whole character and moving it without a move input. My suggestion would be to have your character be able to move freely and to just slow down the movement speed when attacking (like it is currently when using ranged weapons or some abilities). For example you could have a dagger slow you down only slightly when attacking and have a heavy weapon slow you down more during the attack.

I hope this feedback helps in any way.

Edit: added pvp
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Just throwing in a question relative to this, so I can make some guesses about what they're doing relative to the Compilation from the other thread.

I have a suspicion, based on the animations, that we may get the W+Q, A+Q, etc. My group has described that aside from spellbook and wand, every weapon seems to have three animations. The first lunging one when you engage that looks like it could be W+Q, then a sort of 'rising' or 'overhead' one (depending on weapon) that could be S+Q, and a lateral slash 'finisher' that could be used as A+Q or D+Q.

If this is true, maybe we can expect to see it implemented. If we don't see it implemented, maybe we can suggest it 'because these animations can be used this way'.

Please let me know if anyone has used a melee weapon that does not have animations that could be used this way.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.