Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will AoC have ragdoll physics?

Comments

• ZeshioZeshio Member
    I think it's safe to say it's probably not going to happen. I believe there are a variety of MMO's including Planetside 2 that have attempted to implement some form of ragdoll but were removed given the strain on the servers and the bugs associated with it.

I don't see how ragdoll would add to any gameplay in AoC, and it would probably more problems than is worth. Keeping 100's of dead bodies on the ground during a siege that fly in the air with ballista explosions sounds cool, but in all reality people would hate trying to path through it and it would melt the game.
  • ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Zeshio wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say it's probably not going to happen. I believe there are a variety of MMO's including Planetside 2 that have attempted to implement some form of ragdoll but were removed given the strain on the servers and the bugs associated with it.

I don't see how ragdoll would add to any gameplay in AoC, and it would probably more problems than is worth. Keeping 100's of dead bodies on the ground during a siege that fly in the air with ballista explosions sounds cool, but in all reality people would hate trying to path through it and it would melt the game.

I dont know , I always found it hilarious to kick someone's dead corpse off the cliff and into the ocean in Archeage.
  • MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've seen ragdoll physics break Skyrim enough to know it'd probably be a bad idea in AoC lol
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited June 2021
    I would not support them in the way ragdoll is used for death animations, now if they have another use I would be willing to listen to see what they are attempting.

Turning to ash on death almost confirms it not being a thing imo.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • DracoUlthimaDracoUlthima Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For this game, turning to ash is the best option.
    7ec641dc1572.png

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Topic
    Steven

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I wonder if this is player characters, NPCs or mobs.
    Seems like mobs will ragdoll, but I would love to see a Dragon collapse into ashes.
  • Would you rather have rag dolls or smoothly run 500 v 500 battles?

I can always shout someone to infinity in Skyrim if I want to play with rag dolls.
  • Rem_Rem_ Member
    Topic

Well I think it would be quite laggy but I'm not sure
    Poko.png
  • edited June 2021
    Zeshio wrote: »

I don't see ragdoll physics as being an update to the game either I'll give you that.

I disagree with the toO mUch gRaPhiCs argument since it's been in games since the 1990s and and plenty of MMOs have it without any issues.

It may not "add to any gameplay" but it is much more palatable for enemies to react to the environment when they die instead of freezing in the air with a single falling animation that acts as if the air is a platform.
  • JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Regardless of graphics or whatnot, if player bodies were kicked around it'd make finding them to resurrect nearly impossible. Not only that, but if you're body is resurrected somewhere it shouldn't be, like over an enemy wall, that doesn't seem like a good idea.
    While ragdoll's are a quirky thing and can add some temporary humor, I think the unique death animations that are in place + being worked on are sufficient enough to please most people.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have never once seen a game where ragdoll physics was not a complete joke.

In many games it is a hindrance more than it enhances anything. It is a straight path towards bugs and waste of time issues for DEVs to pull their hair out over. Even if they were done right, I don't think the average player would notice.

The risk is not worth the reward IMO.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • edited June 2021
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    I have never once seen a game where ragdoll physics was not a complete joke.

I have never once seen a game where ragdoll physics WAS a complete joke. GTA, Destiny, COD.. I can go on forever with triple A games with ragdoll physics.
    In many games it is a hindrance more than it enhances anything. It is a straight path towards bugs and waste of time issues for DEVs to pull their hair out over. Even if they were done right, I don't think the average player would notice.

That is your opinion that many people disagree with. If nobody liked ragdoll physics then they wouldn't have put it in countless games.
    The risk is not worth the reward IMO.

Thank you for saying IMO there