Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What if a select few nodes could become a PvE only zone?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Whilst I am a pvx player, not so skilled at pvp but do enjoy it and have no issues being in a pvx environment, I feel for those that are and/or want to be PvE only.

I also believe PvE players often make up a large portion of most player bases and this base of players should not be neglected to ensure a rich, varied, prosperous and well populated community.

Primarily this means a lot of pve content needs to be included, but that may not be enough, so thinking more so of "what if`s"

Now I do understand that there are plenty systems already created that require pvp to work and disabling those may put systems out of kilt, but I don`t think things are so intertwined that exceptions and/or variations could not be entertained.

So, thinking out loud with no fully fleshed out solution just a very broad objective; how about as a select number of nodes evolve and based on very particular criteria, that as a result of the community of a particular node working together they can drive its result of achieve x, y, z criteria then portions of that nodes realm become open up to become non-pvp zones.

Or something to that effect?

Comments

• Options
    AsgerrAsgerr Member
    Nodes are not inherently PvP or PvE. If they were strictly one or the other then it would defeat the entire purpose.

More than anything, if the node is strictly PvE then it wouldn't be available to be sieged or to be in a war. This means that it is free to level up whilst also locking out adjacent nodes.

This means that, ultimately, it will never be able to be torn down, locking out people from different content in the game. Mostly PvE content. So it's self defeating for the kind of people it would even attract.
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2021
    I wouldn't want to force a no-PvP zone, but I could see a node paying to increase roaming guards around its ZoI, so that it is very hard for PvP to happen without a guard seeing it and intervening, and perhaps also enforcing a local law making it so that deaths to guards count as corrupt deaths regardless of corruption status.

To me, this would have a greater impact on who you would vote for mayor, or give money to support a mayoral bid to than any buildings or amenities they may opt to build or not build.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2021
    I think "strictly PvE" would really have to mean the ZOI, not the village/town/city itself.
    And it would still be possible to declare a siege, just like you could for any other village/town/city.
    Players just would not be able to attack other player characters outside of a battlegrounds in that ZOI.
    Seems like battlegrounds would still have to be PvX.
  • Options
    I was thinking along the lines of economic or diplomatic routes whereby x periods of time could be negotiated with adjacent nodes in return for reprieve of pvp, protection with some trades of benefits.

an agreement with adjacent node to not go to war for x period
    • in return for x % of taxes.
    • in return for exclusive trade of x materials
    • in return for safe passage through
    • in return of set agreements in advance to support their castle in seige

I cannot see all systems deleted of pvp but I can see work arounds to make an area more pleasant for pve`er but to make it work, there must be a tradeoff.
  • Options
    TranquillityTranquillity Member
    edited June 2021
    I think this defeats the purpose of the node system.

If you wanted something like this better to have a central map node that is permanently neutral, at a lower stage like village stage for players to stay in if that is their preference.

But keep this node from having any affect on others.
    Can be like a starting area if you will.

But the players should be encouraged to wander out and join an active node and be part of the node system eventually.

But from my perspective better to make players a part of the journey than exclude them by giving an area that means they can actively not participate.
  • Options
    CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'd be willing to bet that this will happen naturally without the need for a system explicitly designed for it. It would be greatly conducive to the protection of their node for mayors to form networks of support with their fellow feudal nodes, as well as other nearby mayors. So it would be a fair assumption to think that players could rally around their local communities to self-police to some degree. I like the extra guards idea, though. Having some choices for the mayor to increase security at the expense of something else would be fine by me.

Bottom line, I'd rather have that freedom of choice available rather than potentially a hard lock-out of pvp. I feel even just getting close to that would undermine what Ashes wants to be.
  • Options
    ZeshioZeshio Member
    edited June 2021
    I could see it possible if it were the opposite of the pvp battleground spaces. However, like other folks mention, there's other better ways of achieving this goal. Hang out by NPC guards, stick in larger groups, hire folks for defense, harvest in less populated areas, stay around your freehold.

The truth is, we won't know how everything is going to play out until everyone is in game. If something becomes an issue, AoC can revisit it.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I think it doesn't necessarily defeat the purpose of the Node system.
    I think the Node would still have to be subject to Siege Declaration.
    Battlegrounds would all still have to be open for PvP combat.

Those who want to reclaim the area as a PvP ZOI could declare a siege and try to destroy the Node.
    Seems to me that motivates Meaningful Conflict.
    Also ironically might motivate PvEers to declare sieges for the reward of creating a PvE-Only ZOI.

Dunno how easy it would be to create those kinds of flagging mechanics though.
    Interesting idea.
  • Options
    ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pve only nodes would give players a big advantage in pve content and loot drops as you can come to agreements a lot more easier between guilds to farm to their heats content without interruption.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I suspect some nodes will turn into 'high PVP zones' from the very nature of the drama surrounding the nearby castles, nodes and guilds in the area.

There will probably be other nodes which are low conflict areas, again from their low drama inhabitants. Since there are a lot of low drama people, they will be drawn to settle in the peaceful area nodes, thus potentially making those nodes grow and prosper economically and become rich.

Whether that will attract the high PvP folks or not will depend on the diplomatic skills of the rulers of the peaceful areas, as some posters have already wisely commented above. If they can keep the drama high between the PvPers, they might create their own little Switzerland. We will have to watch for that (pun intended, har har).
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    PvE-Only nodes would not be preventing anyone from harvesting there.
    And, if you feel disadvantaged regarding trade, you could make your own ZOI PvE-Only for a time if you want.
  • Options
    ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »
    PvE only nodes would not be preventing anyone from harvesting there.
    And, if you feel disadvantaged regarding trade, you could make your own ZOI PvE-only for a time if you want.

Pve Guilds could a have lock down on any raid content and pve mob farming spots. Gathering resources goes unchallenged so pve guilds can gather a lot more resources giving pve nodes a bigger economic advantage. The point of open pvp is to contest any of that and besides as you like to remind people on forums its not in Steven's vision of the game to have pve only nodes.
  • Options
    It's an interesting idea to think about.
    I highly doubt that Steven would ever implement it.
  • Options
    @Dygz is right, it will be ingame only if we players make it so.

Which would require that the PVE players ban together and forbid the PVP players from coming into their nodes, and then enforcing the ban...which would make them PVP players.

OR they could hire mercenaries. Or pay the PVPers in the adjacent nodes to be enforcers. Or....well, there are lots of possibilities, which is exactly why we are so eager to see what happens in AoC!
  • Options
    Hey look at Sea of Thieves. It doesn't stop PvE players banding together in a giant alliance to get the gameplay they want. I am sure there will be nodes with people with a similar mindset.
    They found a way.

And as you say. PvE players tend to outnumber PvP players. So I would think if you outnumber the PvP players and the PvP players need to become corrupted to target non-combatant PvE players.
    The problem will solve itself.

Also I figure certain nodes will attract certain types of players. For example a Trading node, would theoretically need peace to encourage trade.
    Where a military node makes war right?

Surely the problem will solve itself, we wont know until we are ingame.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I am for pve nodes to naturally form on their own as the game is ment to be then forced.
  • Options
    Oh! Also, I think the mechanism for creating a PvE-Only ZOI would have to be the construction of a specific type of building/service. That way the building/service could be destroyed/disrupted during a Node siege or Monster Coin Event even if the entire Node is destroyed to Stage 0.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In theory if a community of players decided to get together and do only PVE and ban PvP amongst themselves having a node ZOI or even a sever that is only PvE in entirely doable. Right up until a PvP troll guild finds out and rolls through kicking over the sand castles built by the carebears.
    If the local community on a server got together to do it I fail to see any problem. Intrepid wasting resources to make special rules I think is a bad idea. Let the local community work it out.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    If the devs could fairly quickly and easily implement something this, I would love to see one server with this ruleset... some time after launch. But, that's kinda like sprinkles on icing.
    That most likely would be a waste of resources before launch.
  • Options
    Hope they never to special rule sets for any server.
    Need to get back to this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VDp73XFtI8
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    I know, but... I really want to see what would transpire.
  • Options
    Like watching a train wreck. I know I shouldn't watch. Buuut let's see what happens.
  • Options
    Perhaps vastly increasing the penalty for going red would accomplish this? If PK > 3* then your attack decreased to near nothing and other penalties as well would make a PvX server with only a few adjustments.

So I suppose there would still be PvP at caravans, sieges, node and guild wars and other 'allowed' circumstances.

Even though I have PvX tendencies, as compared to PvP....I don't think I would play on that server.

* I used '3' just so someone doesn't ruin their high level with a bad click.
  • Options
    Perhaps a PVE island in a sea of protective PVP nodes?

I think it may end up being more likely that most PVP players will gravitate toward active PVP zones leaving PKers who will face the corruption system until they decide it’s not worth their time. Of course, the PVE zone might be more likely for resource PVP attacks. So declaring a zone PVE could end up having the opposite desired effect. And that could be a prime location for bounty hunters.

I think either way you go you will have PVP in your zone. Just a matter of which flavor. For me having friendly PVPers nearby tends to lower the PK incidents.
  • Options
    I'm not sure how this discussion went from a low/no PvP node/ZoI to an alternate ruleset server.

We've been told they dont want alternate ruleset servers.

I am still of the opinion that something like this could fit in to the game.

It can't/won't be a hard PvP prevention like in games with PvP free zones, but they could very easily allow nodes to select various options that can impact PvP within their ZoI.

This could be the option to add more roaming guards, as I said above, but it could also be an option in a religious building to increase corruption based penalties, or perhaps a barracks option to increase non-corruption penalties associated with PvP. They could make a marketplace option that reduces the percentage of materials an attacker gets if they successfully attack a caravan that originated from that node (since that attacker has to go to that node to claim those materials anyway).

These options should all be expensive, have ongoing costs (monthly upkeep perhaps), and also be tied to a specific building that can be destroyed in sieges or monster coin events.

These things wouldn't stop PvP from happening in that nodes ZoI - but I think we all know that would be a non-starter with Intrepid anyway.

I see no reason why they cant allow players in a node to shape - in a small way - the feel of that nodes ZoI in relation to PvP.
  • Options
    I think you`re on to something there.. in the spirit of the game making a choice that impacts.

ZOI 1
    Choose A,B,D,F.. not able to do E,G,K.
    or
    Spend the 10 points A 6 points, B 2 points, D 1 point, a F 1 point but have no points to do E,G,K

ZOI 2
    Spend the 10 points A 3 points, B 3 points, D 3 point, a K 1 point but have no points to do E,G,F

I haven`t re-read what they are planning for a while, but always thought it would be a great dynamic if each Node depending on type had the same core utilities, and then a range to choose from, but the choice larger than the available spaces such that there will be a need to move between nodes and create inter-activity and inter-dependencies and successes and failures based on meeting or not meeting needs.
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    I think you`re on to something there.. in the spirit of the game making a choice that impacts.
    Indeed.

And to me, there is also no reason why these options can't go the other way. Reducing PvP penalties in a nodes ZoI if that is the option taken.

Seems to me to fit right in with the general concept of the game.