Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What combat needs: dynamic movement, offensive, and defensive options

TreefrogTreefrog Member
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
I noticed that the devs are still brainstorming on getting the feel of the combat right for AoC.

Imo, the secret to making your basic combat for melee not feel stale is some type of universal resource based movement option (a small roll) which you can use at any point during an auto attack animation. This adds dynamics to the combat, and it becomes more dynamic when that movement option can also react to the 'mini stun' of auto attacks.
Conqueror's Blade's combat is not a great system to base your game on, but one class they got right imo is Shortbow. So much dynamic damage, movement, and defensive options. While also requiring solid aim.

https://gfycat.com/immaculatedeterminedheifer

Having some sort of universal sprint to manage could be interesting as well. Basically the more movement/defensive/offensive options players have universally, the more free you are to experiment with unique class designs which take advantage of this. You can use these universal options to give classes unique interactions with them.

The game Super Smash Bros. Melee for the gamecube is an intriguing platforming fighting game that still has a large following to this day because of its fast paced technical gameplay. One major reason for its success is the concept of 'directional influence', which allows the defender to slightly alter where they are sent flying during/at the end of a combo.
This continues to force the attacker to react. Obviously you can't use this exact concept in Ashes, but the general idea of defenders having tiny options during cc is nice.
https://youtu.be/8pticpQ9o-g

Comments

• Options
    truelytruely Member, Alpha One
    dodge roll already exists although it doesn't work well atm
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hi, it looks like you're on the same page as the current majority of feedback.

I don't think anyone has expressed any complaints about the concept of dodge rolling, especially to help get out of specific situations.

Right now, the game doesn't have any Animation Canceling, but you can definitely roll between two swings of your auto-attack combo. But the characters also don't have any hitstop or 'launched' mechanics.

If the enemy doesn't stagger when they get hit by your attacks, do you have any other suggestion about how to do the thing you're talking about?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    I definitely feel like the game will have very fast combat. If you like the slow feeling of Classic WoW's combat, you probably won't like Ashes combat. I think the combat will be very technical. There are many class combinations and knowing what utilities they have and the cooldowns will be essential. One thing I can think of is, as a ranged class, knowing when the opponent's dodge roll is going to be on cooldown will let you know when you can use your big action based damaging spell.
  • Options
    GrihmGrihm Member
    What i have seen from combat, i feel the rolls etc are far too " big " so to say. A roll should be basically the length of a character taking 2-3 steps, nothing more.
  • Options
    CypherCypher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Grihm wrote: »
    What i have seen from combat, i feel the rolls etc are far too " big " so to say. A roll should be basically the length of a character taking 2-3 steps, nothing more.

I agree. I’d probably make it a little longer than 2-3 steps but where it is now is just wild.