Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Modular Fight Mechanics Discussion

Hello Again everyone
After a successful first discussion about what the community views as acceptable with 3rd party software. I thought I would continue to see what everyone thinks (Maybe we can make this a regular thing or make a game out of it). So thank you!

Today I want to see what you guys think about the changes that world development will bring to ashes. We know that they will have some slight changes to quests based on world progression and that some fights will get harder if conditions get met. Do you as a player have a limit to how far you want to see this modular system go? I know in many games walkthroughs and tutorials are popular (In some cases mandatory) to completing content. Do you want to see fights change every time making these harder? Do you want to see a base set of mechanics but the order or intensity change? Do you want concrete fights were your knowledge is more important than adaptability?

Let us know!

If you have requests for discussions or other ideas hit me up and we can bring the keep bringing the players to the table to hear your voices.
2cuMn4T.png

Comments

• KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There will need to be a lengthy tutorial for AoC to hit the ground running I think. There is a lot to the node system. I don't believe that quests themselves will change as the world around grows/blows up. What will happen is the quests will become available or go away depending on what nodes are built up. Nodes will have initial quests to be completed which will give exp to the node and as it levels up, new npcs will arrive offering new quests. This nodal system on paper is amazing and I feel Intrepid is on the right track for it to be amazing in game as well.

As for fights being dynamic and changing. This is an interesting idea but ultimately fights will need to be dumbed down if they are going to be open world. Intrepid has a tough battle ahead of them when it comes to balancing and mechanics. Too easy (without an enemy guild countering you) and the fights will be very boring. Too difficult (with an enemy guild countering) and the boss will never get killed (not to mention the exp debt balancing). Personally, I want things to be as difficult as possible.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Khronus wrote: »
    Personally, I want things to be as difficult as possible.

You could die a lot or go red.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Sorry if this is a little wordy but I wanted to give an example of each so everyone can understand what each system type would mean for the community.

Randomized Mechanics:
    ~No set mechanics or rotation
    ~Creator videos will not represent the experiences of the players that would watch the video
    ~Potential to weigh different mechanics and ability rotations to node progressions so players can "Build their fights"
    ~Hardest on inexperienced players

Rotating Mechanics:
    ~Set Mechanics
    ~Creators can show how the mechanics work and just advise players that the order can / will be different for them
    ~Potential to weigh the frequency of mechanics based of nodes allowing players to learn the likely rotations and develop strategies for expected rotations
    ~Moderate difficulty

Cemented Mechanics:
    ~All Set Mechanics and rotations
    ~Videos address player's needs in a repeatable format
    ~No need to weigh encounters (Less need to develop systems so easier on Intrepid)
    ~Easiest for inexperienced players
    ~Might require hp gating to slow experienced players nuking bosses.
    2cuMn4T.png
  • ZusaZusa Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited June 2021
    Neurath wrote: »
    Khronus wrote: »
    Personally, I want things to be as difficult as possible.

I like the fact that soon as you go in the world, theres nothing telling you where to go. Tutorials always seem mindless running, which most people don't even pay attention to most of the time

image0.gif