Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Join a big guild or wait and see to form one?

ArukoruArukoru Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Initially I thought I would join a guild as I imagine a lot of the community driven content will depend on being part of an org to take control of nodes, make serious attempts at sieges, caravan successfully etc.

But on the flipside it would be better to form a guild with people you find since you'll be able to start writing history for that guild rather than slot in as another nobody in a larger org. Also let's say your guild wants to buy houses in a particular node but you would rather go someplace else. I had previously played planetside & planetside 2 which were fairly impossible to play without an outfit. You can zerg successfully if you're smart but for the most part you're not doing anything productive if you aren't within a large outfit and I kinda see AoC as one of these types of games if you want to really experience the content. The stuff I haven't liked (other than being a nobody in the guild at least for a long long time) is the structure; some structure is good but too much makes the game feel way too much like work.

Just curious what people's thoughts are on this as I love the idea of forming a guild from scratch with people organically but I know from experience this is really hard to do since most of the serious players will join larger guilds.
khFjCQJ.png

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    If you plan to test on alpha and beta join a guild now.
    Fresh start when the game goes live. Then do whatever
  • Options
    I will go raw... and join a guild as they form... I don't mind hanging around in a mid tier guild as long as everybody is friendly and welcoming
  • Options
    TheBlazedAceTheBlazedAce Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Im on the fence here. Id love to start my own or be a part of a smaller group to help build from the ground up...
    But I also dont want to be left in the dust. :/

♥ In The Name Of Venus, I'll Punish You! ♥

source.gif

https://instagram.com/theblazedace/
  • Options
    D3ATHSPARKD3ATHSPARK Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's all about the people. Everything else falls into place over time. Both options work honestly. I did stuff organically in the past but am taking a more organized approach this time. I'd like to jump into the game with a group ready to go rather than scramble to find other solo players and hope it works.

The key is to find people with a similar mindset that you enjoy playing with. I wouldn't worry about the goal aspects as much given those will change over time.
    ForumsBanner.png

• Options
    Im on the fence here. Id love to start my own or be a part of a smaller group to help build from the ground up...
    But I also dont want to be left in the dust. :/

I kinda feel the same :cry:

PS Sailor Mars is based just sayin
    khFjCQJ.png
  • Options
    Jerec TharenJerec Tharen Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I had a really bad experience joining a guild I read about on the Forums for Classic WoW. Never going to do that again.

My plan is to just play the game and meet people. Part of the reason I wanted to upgrade to the Alpha 1 is so that I could have the chance to explore the game mechanics as they came into the game (instead of being led around by the nose later on by a more experienced player).

Once I feel comfortable with current features, I just want to start trying to group up with people and see if I can find a guild with a good community that way.
  • Options
    I had a really bad experience joining a guild I read about on the Forums for Classic WoW. Never going to do that again.

My plan is to just play the game and meet people. Part of the reason I wanted to upgrade to the Alpha 1 is so that I could have the chance to explore the game mechanics as they came into the game (instead of being led around by the nose later on by a more experienced player).

Once I feel comfortable with current features, I just want to start trying to group up with people and see if I can find a guild with a good community that way.

Yeah I think that is really the worst case scenario, joining a guild ahead of time that you don't enjoy playing with/takes away from the game you enjoy and then leaving them.

I'll just see what happens in alpha 1
    khFjCQJ.png
  • Options
    truelytruely Member, Alpha One
    There's many factors but from my experience I would join one until just before you are playtesting or release. See what they are like and if they are not a good fit don't be afriad to look for another one.
  • Options
    I feel like if you want a chance to see all the content in this game, you will have to be in a large guild with a good command structure. This includes owning a castle, fighting legendary world bosses, winning sieges. A small guild just won't have the resources to compete with the larger guilds when it comes to controlling resources (like boss spawn locations, and crafting weapons, armour, and other things that you will need). This will make you feel like just an ant in a colony, but it is the best way imo. Maybe once you are content with everything you and the guild have accomplished, you can join a more personal guild, it just depends what you want out of the game.