Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Agro ranges

Heyooo people!
What do all of you guys think about agro ranges?

To simplify what i mean:
You are a hotshot maxlvl character, you need to travel to a dungeon/raid (or whatever). You run through a area you know good and well from leveling in, the mobs in this area are more or less a joke to your power at this point. You run past a pack of wolfes with 5 meters distance...and they just ignore you. You get to the dungeon and its game on.

In my opinion i would like a game that dosnt drasticly change my own characters agro range regardles of my level. That wolf i ran past dosnt know im max level, or have the best gear. Right?

Im just spitballing an idea here but, what if there was a potion or buff that made my agro range decreese? I could pour a potion on myself that would decreese my ''scent''(agro range) maybe?
Not saying it should be a potion or whatever, it might be a buff? Im just speaking of the general idea here.

I could undestand if people would want get a lower agro range to lower lvl mobs, but does it have to be so low that you could shout in the monsters ear before he notices you?

I get that something like this would be anoying being slowed or dismounted when moving around in the world. But i still think it would be a ''benefit'' overall in a way. Sure you wont get any exp or any loot that you might need, but you will get to know the monsters, the areas you're traveling through and not just forget about lowlvl mobs like they are not even there.

What do you guys think? Please give your thoughts about something like this. This was just a thought i had..

(English not my main language)

Question to the intrepid team(if you even read this):
Are you having fun making this game? Its important that you do imo!

Comments

• GrihmGrihm Member
    Can anyone with knowledge and permission to speak of it adress how present aggro works in the test phase?
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think, currently they will chase you down anyways.
    I had a bunch of blue (low, low level) macaws kill me because I thought I could rush past them on my mount. But they bunched around me, impeded my movement and pecked me to death.

I'll have to check to see just how low they were next week and see if I can get lowbies to chase me.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I did the whole cave quest on my cleric yesterday without killing anything. I think I was level three.
    The mobs agro in a short range but you can just keep healing and walk away.
    At one point I had like 5 raptors on me.
    I did do jump puzzles while dealing with this all of this.

Currently, I don't feel threatened by mobs chasing me. At least on cleric.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I actually prefer when lower level monsters decrease the range in which they pull aggro compared to the players level.

I don't necessarily agree that monsters wouldn't realize a threat when they see one. If a species has been around for long enough they'll start to differentiate what is dangerous and what isn't. Whether it's because they smell the blood of countless enemies on you, or they notice your "aura" is larger than lower levels. It could even be something as simple as the armor a higher level wears makes them appear bigger and scarier than lower level armor.

I've always found it silly when a low level monster tries to attack you, clearly does no damage to you, but continues to try and kill you with no sense of self preservation. As a player it's just an annoying inconvenience because you have to stop what you're doing and kill this thing that otherwise should've been actively avoiding you.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Currently, I don't feel threatened by mobs chasing me. At least on cleric.
    Yes. As long as the mobs don't somehow clump up and block your movement, you can just run past them despite their attacks.
    It's not so much a matter of aggro range as it is tether range. It's easy enough to outrun the tether. Especially in the Cave.
    I haven't tried to outrun the tether in the Crypt (which is a bit more enclosed, I think).
  • ZeshioZeshio Member
    We haven't seen the rogue archetype or its mechanics yet, but I could at least see sneak having a major impact on aggro ranges. I don't think it would be much of a stretch to see different archetypes with abilities or skills that lessen aggro range.

The funny thing is I see aggro range as not necessarily character focused but more creature focused. Perhaps a bird has a larger aggro circle because of their eyesight, whereas a slug's aggro circle might be a lot smaller. This would make it a bit harder to have archetype skills though that change aggro ranges of monsters.
  • GoalidGoalid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the lore could be that the creature's of Verra can sense your strength via your affinity with the Essence (aka level) https://ashesofcreation.wiki/The_Essence. Maybe there can be some annoying low level mobs that act like nats, but I'd rather not have to deal with low level mobs attacking me for the most part.
    bRVL6TR.png

• Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    WoW used to have a spell that reduced the aggro range of mobs around you. Guess what, nobody used it. There was no point because of how easy it is to just run through the mobs. Also, one of the reasons why low level mobs don't aggro onto high level players is because if they did, high level players would be incentivised to kill those mobs, which would leave less low level mobs for the low level players to fight.

Once again it's a situation of immersion vs gameplay. Yes it would be more immersive to for mobs to aggro onto players no matter what level they are, but doing so would harm the gameplay for both high and low level players.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    WoW used to have a spell that reduced the aggro range of mobs around you. Guess what, nobody used it.
    Both EQ2 and Archeage had a similar spell.

They weren't used often, but they were super useful to use at times. Nothing more fun in Archeage than having someone chasing you, casting this spell to get past a fairly tough mob in a tight space, and then watching your pursuers get caught up with that encounter while you run off.
  • GololGolol Member
    WoW used to have a spell that reduced the aggro range of mobs around you. Guess what, nobody used it. There was no point because of how easy it is to just run through the mobs. Also, one of the reasons why low level mobs don't aggro onto high level players is because if they did, high level players would be incentivised to kill those mobs, which would leave less low level mobs for the low level players to fight.

Once again it's a situation of immersion vs gameplay. Yes it would be more immersive to for mobs to aggro onto players no matter what level they are, but doing so would harm the gameplay for both high and low level players.

Yeah you make a good point, didnt think about that aspect a whole lot. Maybe it would be a dumb idea after all.
    It was just a thought i had.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    WoW used to have a spell that reduced the aggro range of mobs around you. Guess what, nobody used it. There was no point because of how easy it is to just run through the mobs.

FFXI had the beloved trio of "Sneak", "Deodorize", and "Invisible". Which were all used all the time because on level mobs could not be soloed by most classes most of the time. Most mobs would kill you in a few hits before you could get 15 feet away, and if you could run beyond that they would never stop. The reliable way to run a mob off was to run out of the zone.

A healthy amount of fear instilled in the players via how hard the DEVs made the mobs. Made what WOW did in single unpopular spell, something that was popular in FFXI with three spells.

That and when you die in WOW you can't lose XP or level down... Level loss is also good incentive to be cautious and use utility spells like this.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Sov54Sov54 Member

I played priest in WoW Classic and it was one of my most used solo spells. That and Mind control.

Even other priests had no clue the versatility those spells had.

Creative/situational spells are my favorites in MMOs by far.
  • ArukoruArukoru Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Personally I prefer that vastly lower level mobs ignore you unless you practically touch them and higher level mobs will aggro from farther away because you're a delicious morsel just handing your tasty body to them.

I'm pretty indifferent though, I like being able to ninja through areas at a lower level without the agro range being ridiculous but I also do not like when I am a high level and a level 1 salamander chases me down.
    khFjCQJ.png
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    FFXI had the beloved trio of "Sneak", "Deodorize", and "Invisible". Which were all used all the time because on level mobs could not be soloed by most classes most of the time. Most mobs would kill you in a few hits before you could get 15 feet away, and if you could run beyond that they would never stop. The reliable way to run a mob off was to run out of the zone.
    See I didn't really ever have that issue of not being able to solo mobs at or above my level. I dont know if it was just that summoner was one of the classes that could punch above its level or what but I found mobs quite easy.
    2cuMn4T.png