Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Please put in voice over in the game.

ArkyanArkyan Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited June 2021 in Support & FAQ
I am not really into reading a lot of text, it is much more enjoyable listening to npc talking to me. Is this possible to have put in the game at some point? I really think that your newer games are going to have this. Am i wrong? Neverwinter was built in 2013 and the whole game had voice over. Just my two cents. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    This is not a singleplayer rpg for you to enjoy the story.
    We need mmorpg elements and the devs to work on those. Voiceover is a waste of money. Give me quality combat, class/weapon systems and a world to explore and dominate with my guilds.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Too expensive.
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They already said no
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Another excessive expense that benefits a handful of people.

I am definitely against this.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Something that should be looked at if they have the money and time if not then forget it shouldn't be a priority
  • Options
    Cold 0ne FTBCold 0ne FTB Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Something that should be looked at if they have the money and time if not then forget it shouldn't be a priority

Would it be nice. Yes but it's not a priority for them right now
    ZxbhjES.gif

That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
  • Options
    MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Arkyan wrote: »
    I am not really into reading a lot of text, it is much more enjoyable listening to npc talking to me. Is this possible to have put in the game at some point? I really think that your newer games are going to have this. Am i wrong? Neverwinter was built in 2013 and the whole game had voice over. Just my two cents. Thank you

I've been doing a full playthrough of ESO's story and whereas there's times when having the voice acting really adds to everything but....you can tell when they went for a budget VA and it really breaks the immersion. Even for the really good VAs, I can only hear Liam O'Brien's voice as so many characters across Tamriel before it starts to break your disbelief.

On top of that it's very expensive to bring anyone in to do voice work, both for cash and memory, so I think the plan of limited VA for specific cinematics is the best course.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • Options
    roostroost Member
    While this suggestion is really bad, it does make me wonder about the future of games. Maybe when AI voices become a little more natural, they can be used to provide voice overs for 100s of different characters in a game like this. I don’t think an AI voice could truly replace a quality VA, but maybe it can get close enough for low level npcs.
  • Options
    TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm sure Steven wouldn't mind if you personally donated the tens of millions required for voice acting.
    nI17Ea4.png
  • Options
    GrihmGrihm Member
    Perhaps ahead, certain NPC´s will or could get voice lines. Specifically for certain elements that are seasonal or major in the development.
  • Options
    ThexBlackxKnightThexBlackxKnight Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This game will be focus more on player interactions with each other to create a unique story that will be different on each server. A large single player story that themepark mmos tend to have is not really something they are going for. There will be lore and story but its kind of in the backdrop of what is going on, so you don't really need a whole lot of voice acting for it.
  • Options
    ZeshioZeshio Member
    I personally appreciate small vocal touches, like when you turn in a quest and the npc is like, 'thanks!' It can feel a little immersion breaking if there aren't vocal noises at all, like if you're in a town and it's just bird noises or something.

It would be cool for very special central characters to have some voice work, like how Neverwinter Nights did for the main story folks, but I get that it's just impossible to voice work the majority of quests. It would be just way too much to be feasible.
  • Options
    I'd personally like them to add a narrator to the game. Like just a voice over describing everything I do from "you cast fireball" to "you loot the corpse" but give me the ability to set the voice. Arnold Schwarzenegger? Yes please.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    neuroguy wrote: »
    I'd personally like them to add a narrator to the game. Like just a voice over describing everything I do from "you cast fireball" to "you loot the corpse" but give me the ability to set the voice. Arnold Schwarzenegger? Yes please.

Just use auto hotkey to trigger a soundboard. Get like a bowling ball strike sound effect when you use your big DMG spell and a ScoobyDoo running sound when you use your movement skill or do a dodge roll.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options

For the low, low price of $15/month, I'll gladly chat away to you while you play. I like to think I'd be a good narrator.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    edited June 2021
    roost wrote: »
    While this suggestion is really bad, it does make me wonder about the future of games. Maybe when AI voices become a little more natural, they can be used to provide voice overs for 100s of different characters in a game like this. I don’t think an AI voice could truly replace a quality VA, but maybe it can get close enough for low level npcs.

I just did a little research and there is actually a few decent products that sprung up in the recent years.
    It´s not an insanely high quality, but imo it could be worth the effort.
    Intrepid actually should have a look into this and weigh the option.
    One of the products is even integrated into Unreal Engine with their own plugin.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

For the low, low price of $15/month, I'll gladly chat away to you while you play. I like to think I'd be a good narrator.

Maybe I could start my own Ashes Radio!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Hiya friend! Looks like some folks above already shared insights from our team on where we've covered our thoughts around voice acting before, and you can also check out a bit more (including references) on the helpful community-run wiki here.

I'm going to go ahead and move this thread on over to our Support & FAQ section and close it out, but please don't hesitate to reach back out if there's anything else we can help answer for you!
    community_management.gif
This discussion has been closed.