Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gathering and banking

BurckhardusBurckhardus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
As far a gathering. I enjoy simple things such as seeing a tree fall down that I chopped. I also enjoy socializing while gathering. So you and a friend can go to a mine or perhaps make friends with a random Miner collecting ore and even protecting each other from a cave creature instead of just running around the world looking for random ore nods to spawn.

All things have weight. When I’m out collecting lumber ore ext it’s nice when they have weight. Do I need to bring a pack mule with me? Or am I just going to get a small amount? How much gold will I need to buy something? Do I need to make a run to the bank to get more gold? Do I need so much gold that I need the bank to write me a paper bank order for me to carry large sums of cash

Comments

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You are going to want a pack mule.
  • Options
    ZeshioZeshio Member
    edited June 2021
    I think it'll be a necessity to have a mule mount with you for harvesting. It'll probably be the main way of collecting harvestables around nodes.

Unlike caravans, killing mules should trigger the corruption system, but it will still be important to weigh your risk against pvp when you're getting full to avoid losing your gatherables.

The wiki notes that gold or currency will have no weight, so you won't have any issues with carrying money around.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Though having a mule would also signal to potential PKers that there is more to steal from you.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    tautau wrote: »
    Though having a mule would also signal to potential PKers that there is more to steal from you.

It will be, but it is worth noting that in order for your attacker to take away all of their spoils, they too will need a mule - making them more vulnerable.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2021
    PKers would have to decide whether Corruption is worth killing a mule that may have very few resources. If you're going to camp the Gatherer long enough to ensure that they haven't just started their harvesting, you might as well just harvest stuff yourself.
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Do I need so much gold that I need the bank to write me a paper bank order for me to carry large sums of cash

I have always wanted to play a fantasy MMORPG where the weight and volume of things like gold is considered. I don't think Ashes is going to be that MMORPG.

When I play table-top D&D, I am one of the guys who take weight seriously. I have always liked tiered coinage systems as a solution to weight. Things like Platinum>Gold>Electrum>Silver>Copper. I am often disapointed when games just use simple systems like GP or GP>SP. This is an area where developers could do some simple interesting things to make games stand out, but they often just go with a single weightless currency.

That said, there is no cap on gold coins held or gold coin weight in Ashes. This is an easy and fair design decision.

**Extra thoughts**
    Still, I have always wondered what an MMORPG would be like if there was only X coins of a type in circulation and coins had weight. For example, a Platinum coin would always be 100x the value of a Gold coin, but have a limited supply. Now platinum coins are more valuable because of their ability to transport wealth. You slowly and laboriously make your way back to town with 500gp in your bags, only to find none of the vendors currently have platinum coins.

Stuff like this could be fascinating. You could have guilds trying to get their hands on all the platinum coins, just to be able to transport wealth better than others between nodes via local banking and caravans. This is something that was a reality in the past and is still sort of a reality today. Not something I think is in the scoop for ashes, but cool to think about.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited June 2021
    I hate how corruption finds it's way in such discussions.
    How many times must be said that PKing to carry a few materials isnt worth risking full items that took such a big amount of materials, effort and cooperation to craft?

"Oh yes I totally want to PK that little gatherer and then carry his loot, while everybody around is free to kill me, without even turning combatant (purple), so that they can very likely loot the full items I wear, my raw materials AND the materials I got from that gatherer roleplayer."

Most people will PK somebody that they dislike. Not as a means to increase their wealth.
  • Options
    So if you want to hunt player killers, just summon a mule, and then take them out when they attack thinking that you are just a gatherer!
  • Options
    VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited June 2021
    My question is with a mount or mule that has a higher carrying capacity need to have a skin that identifies it as a mule or will this be information that is only revealed if you mouse over the mount or will any appropriately tiered mount skin be all that is required. Perhaps there will be no information provided by mouseing over the mount and the attacker simply has to take pot luck.

Personally I do not think there should be any information given as to the mounts capabilities, risk vs reward and all that.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.